Sage One at costco...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by WA-Fly, Jun 28, 2013.

1. toddr

toddr Member

An online search reveals three Loomis fly rods available at Costco with discounts similar to the the Sage One noted above. The Sage One was not listed online.

2. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I do not believe this is true, with Sage they do not require a receipt when you turn in the warranty card. I also do not believe they require vendors to record serial numbers when selling them, now Loomis rods do require you to turn in a receipt to get the wildcard (and good luck walking into a Costco with a wildcard anyway). Also a large portion of Sages secondary market and resale is probably due to the fact they are known to fix anything for free or for the 50 dollar charge.

I am betting if this story is true then Sage will come out with something that says blah blah blah we didnt know, blah blah blah stricter control of our stock, blah blah blah, and hopefully that will be the end of it.

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

Search at costco shows g.loomis GLX's for sale in the low 400.00's but no sage ones. Maybe at limited stores...or they just have not updated their web site yet.

and Kcahill, its been a while but when I turned in a warranty card they did not ask for receipt but they did ask where it was purchased from, and mine also had a white sticker bar code tag on it with the rod's serial number. I'm pretty sure they keep track of distribution and serieal numbers. This helped them identify the distributor that sold to costco last time...I believe those were the Z-Axis rods.

....And yes it is bullshit!

4. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    Costco works with diversionary shipping tactics. That polite nice store from Kirkland can be real asshats in their "best practices" Remember when they got ahold of simms waders. They went out and bought all of them back from Costco when they found out at full retail because Costco and their infinite wisdom wouldnt sell them back at cost.

Fook that

5. PT

PT Physhicist

2 pages and no proof

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

Well PT, Costco has done this in the past with the Z-Axis and another line of rods...flight? (can't remember). They have done it with Simms waders. Currently G.Loomis GLX 700.00 plus rods our listed on their site for the low 400.00's. On speypages someone wrote that their costco in idaho had sage one's for sale. Is it unbelievable that costco is selling sage one's? Based on past record I don't need proof anymore, they have an established SOP.

7. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    The costco's nearest me are open from 9:30am-6pm. When exactly were you expecting someone to be able to verify?

8. Porter

Porter Active Member

Nah...let him go. :p

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I casted the Sage One. It's only worth $469.... sorry Sage.

10. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Media:
    I contact sage a while back and talked to them about this problem they were having with Costco selling there rods. What they told me was that sage does not distribute to Costco. For that matter when sage find out about the rods being sold at Costco, Sage will go and buy up the inventory from the Costco. That way it does not hurt the smaller fly shops and other retailers that sage does deal with.

11. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    It's 10:19... we should have a story now.

12. PT

PT Physhicist

It's not unbelievable that Costco would sell them. Just thought it was a bit funny that everyone would get all uptight over a rumor. First poster says they're for sale and others have said they don't see anything from Sage online at Costco.

Run with it. We'll get the facts later.

Dave Kaiserman likes this.
  13. scottmel

scottmel Member

I grabbed my Sage One from Cabelas sometime back - it was discounted almost in half because they had either sold the rod tube with a different rod or lost it..

14. Kram

Kram New Member

Was at Issaquah Costco this morning and I need not see them. I could have missed them or sold out but saw nothing.

15. Ill take a winston over a sage 9 times out of 10

Eric Denny likes this.
  16. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

Media:
    This was at the costco in Woodenville

17. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    But the fish you catch with that $150 is no where near as thrilling as it could be... might want to re-think things ;)

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Any fish I catch is exciting. Be it 6" or 16". I use a TFO rod, a GL2 rod, and one made on a blank that is unknown to me. They are all fun to fish with. After all, fishing is fun for me. If it were work I wouldn't be doing it.

Eric Denny likes this.
  19. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Yeah, why do we want actual facts.

Isn't just like the news? A news outlet starts with a "possibility", that turns to fact within minutes. Only to find out 2 days later it's false, but who cares. It was fun to get all whipped up :D.

That being said, it's sad if true. Sage should know better. The love of the mighty $$$ .....

20. Porter

Porter Active Member