SAGE Online Warranty process very buggy

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mbowers, Feb 15, 2014.

1. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I recently broke a One blank that I built with REC guides for saltwater use: super sweet rod. The new online warranty system promises a faster turnaround and a $10 flat shipping fee with a print your own label, plus the $50 repair fee (I think there's some definite profit in there on a blank warranty but that's my choice to put saltwater components on saltwater rods.)

I fill out the online form, it clearly indicates a charge of $10 for the shipping plus $50 repair fee. I hit submit and get a receipt for the $50 repair fee and a $15 shipping fee! That's a 50% jack up in the shipping costs. To make the situation EVEN worse, I do not get the option to print a shipping label. I check my email and there's a receipt for the $15 shipping fee but again NO label. I think SAGE just stole $15 from me! WTF!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Did you take 5 minutes to pick up the phone and give them a call before posting a conspiracy theory on a fishing forum?

3. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Unfortunately, I have had the pleasure of dealing with Sage on rod repairs on at least 3 occasions. Never had a problem or a complaint.

Jason Hoffman likes this.
  4. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

Don't be a drama queen, pick up the phone first and get it resolved. This is a poor place to air your misunderstanding. Sage is a quality outfit with a long, long record of doing the right thing.

If you come back with a story after taking some effort to resolve things, it will be more appropriate.

5. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Actually I did already have a conversation with them on the phone about how the warranty form requires a serial number but the blanks do not have a serial number. I was told to just freeball up a serial number. I also pointed out that the online form does not have an option for a blank on the product list. I was told to pick custom rod which is not true because I did not purchase a custom rod from one of Sage's custom rod building partners. I requested that the online warranty form be updated to cover blanks but the person I was talking to didn't seem interested in my feedback.

I tried calling again this afternoon but no one is home. I don't expect to be scammed out of money in the end but it does look like it's going to take plenty of my time to resolve the issue. I searched here first to see if anyone else had the same trouble but found no topic to date. I posted a topic to make sure no one else ends up paying Sage for shipping that is not delivered. I don't expect customer service to be very interested in fixing the issue on the website based on my past call about multiple issues with the online process but I will probably get my money back.

Sage is a very high end company and I just expected better customer service from both the website and customer service when I am paying such a high service fee.

FLYFLICKER likes this.
  6. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I just took another look at your post, and it appears you live in Canada. Could be $10 is for domestic shipping. Hmmm?

fredaevans and Dan Nelson like this.
  7. Poppyk

Poppyk New Member

Great thought Don!!!

fredaevans likes this.
  8. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Valid thought on the shipping price but I live in Jupiter FL and just visit Canada with some frequency. I only used a FL address in my Sage registration process. I still didn't get a label no matter what the price / address!

I tried to change the thread title to "Sage Online Warranty Process Very Buggy" but seems to me so far that I can only change content and not title. Maybe the mods can change it for me and then the wedgies I'm receiving in my drama queen panties will loosen a little.

I don't think it's a evil conspiracy but rather a website incompetence conspiracy. Seriously IMHO anyone who has used the easy online warranty form should double check their credit card to see what was actually charged.

jake-e-boy and Dan Nelson like this.
  9. Jeff Sturm

Jeff Sturm Member

I've dealt with Sage's warranty folks on two occasions and they have been a pleasure to deal with both times. Last time I got a link to the FEDEX Shipping label in the body of the email. The entire process was a breeze and Sam (the warranty guy) was fantastic.

10. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Is it $15 for them to ship it back to you and you still cover the shipping to them. Never had to use the SAGE warranty program. Good luck

11. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Nope. The $50 repair fee is supposed to cover shipping cost from Sage to the customer. The new process does not even give you a choice to pay your own shipping to Sage, you must pay for the FEDEX label (which they didn't send to me :) )

http://www.sageflyfish.com/about/warranty/

Looking at the email receipt in more detail it looks like maybe Sage thinks my input to the process is complete and they do not need the rod back to warranty the blank. The $15 is perhaps an extra shipping fee from Sage to me for a blank on top of the shipping fee in the $50 all encompassing fee. As I said I don't think they will scam me in the end, but it's going to take a lot of time on the phone to explain to them AGAIN how fubar their warranty process is for a blank. Maybe they did ZERO testing of the website on the warranty process for blank returns..

jake-e-boy likes this.
  12. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

So you want them to redesign their website to match your specific situation AND you want them to work the weekend just to answer your questions? Seriously, they messed up your billing, but shit happens. They'll take care of you.

Then again, it appears you are in Victoria, BC, and the Sage Warranty program -- which you reference in a link within this thread, clearly states:

"Please note: this is available to US customers only at this time. Service options for our international customers have not yet changed."

13. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy Banned or Parked

do you even read bro?

FLYFLICKER likes this.
  14. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

I was doing a cast and blast a couple years ago with my SLT 490-4.
    Threw the rod in the bed of my Tundra and drove to the next pool....
    Down the Golden Road here in Maine.... big mistake with a big cooler in the bed.
    The cooler slid and tossed around and busted the tip section of my SLT.
    I was so pissed and bummed at myself....

Called Sage...
    Had a new SLT 13 days later ....and the girl and guy I dealt with were both really cool.

Would love to put a Sage sticker on my truck ,,,,but don't want to advertise what I might have behind the seat in a remote setting.

JesseC likes this.
  15. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Member

I did the online warranty return of a factory rod last summer and the process worked fine for me. I really appreciated the fact that I was able to print the shipping label as easily and seamlessly as I was.

Unfortunately, I've had to return rods to Sage too many times in the past for rods that I've damaged, but I've never experienced anything but excellent customer service from them.

On the other hand, I am still waiting on a new Sage One rod that I ordered just over 3 weeks ago from a dealer in Idaho that he had to order from Sage. He told me at the time I ordered it from him that he could get the rod from Sage in a couple days, and would ship it to me as soon as he received it. He told me the same story when I followed up with him early this past week, but I have yet to hear that he has received and shipped the rod to me. I am planning to follow up with Sage myself early this coming week to verify the cause of this delay.

John

16. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Member

One of my many Sage warranty returns was eerily similar to yours, only I put my rod in the bed of a friends pickup truck under his canoe while fishing the Penobscot River in Maine a number of years ago.

We were just going a short distance upstream, and driving on a deeply rutted dirt road. Dumb. Dumb.

17. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Valid criticism. My apologies. Though your clarification came far below the post I was responding to so I didn't see it until after I posted. And it seems others had the same thought, hence your need to clarify.

But you didn't address the thought that is seems unrealistic for you expecting them to redesign their website to exactly match your wants AND to be answering your calls on weekends. Customer service is a two-way street. Companies like Sage generally go to great lengths to treat customers well, but customers have to be realistic!

Forget your need for instant gratification. Instead of bitching about them on a public forum, give them a chance to make it right.

jake-e-boy likes this.
  18. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Dan, the weekend expectation reminded me of that now famous Liberty Bottle response to the customer who expected them to work over Thanksgiving weekend. Our recorded message at work says our business hours are the normal M-F 8-4:30 but we still occasionally get nasty messages from customers for not being there at 9PM on a Saturday night. People seem to forget that manufacturers aren't retail stores or etailers...

Dan Nelson and constructeur like this.
  19. GAT

GAT Active Member

royalcoach, you should know you wouldn't receive any sympathy here when it comes to a problem you had with Sage ... the fly anglers in the Seattle area protect Sage like a mother bear protects her cubs :)

I too, had a problem with the Sage service department and my solution was very simple: I no longer buy any product with a Sage logo affixed. And for me, that was a big deal. Most of my older rods are Sage and we named our first dog after the rod company!

Some folks receive great service from Sage, but not all. I didn't. So, as a consumer you don't need to complain about it... just never, ever buy another one of their products.

Works for me. (I would have changed the name of our dog but she wouldn't respond to Winston or TFO :p)

jordan101 likes this.
  20. rory

rory Go Outside

I see that your main argument is the change of price from 10 to 15 dollars. I feel your pain. I would hope that they would refund the 5 dollars and give you a shipping label after you point out this mistake to them. If not, tell Leland I said that you can have $25 off any purchase of $50 or more of a full price item at Orvis. This is only valid in Bellevue and it is a one time offer. At least this way, you come out $20 ahead.

Good luck.