SAGE Online Warranty process very buggy

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mbowers, Feb 15, 2014.

1. jake-e-boy Banned or Parked

Ratings: +227 / 0
    very kind of you sir, good on you for helping OP out, even though issue w/ different company
  2. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +150 / 0
    remind me not to fish with you if given the chance if you get this bent out of shape over 5 bucks. Holy shit.
  3. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    You just made my day!!! :) :) :)
    Jason Hoffman likes this.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,036 / 1
    Same thing I was going to say.

Sage's are good rods so I hope you work your issue out and enjoy the rod when it's repaired and returned.
  5. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +752 / 2
    Sage takes care of their customers. I know you'll probably get upset that I said that, but it's true. If calling them and talking to them about your issue, during business hours, is somehow interfering with your lifestyle then I guess it is a big issue that needs to be taken to a fishing forum where nobody can actually help you. Call them. It'll get taken care of.

If this is what people get upset about, no wonder our kids are growing up with entitlement issues. Parents pass this kind of irrationality down to their kids. They don't learn it on their own.

^^^this^^^
  6. royalcoach Active Member

White Mountains NH/Maine
    Ratings: +107 / 0
    Wasn't me GAT ....
    Sage was absolutely great when I busted the tip on my SLT.
    I love me some Sage.
    Shopping for a 596 One this week....
    Might just have to put the permit and roosterfish stickers on my Tundra too.... :D
  7. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    This may be your problem: "I recently broke a One blank that I built with REC guides for saltwater use..." Sage DOES NOT have Custom Build 'partners,' they don't need them nor do they want them. They may sell the blanks at a discount to a builder, but beyond that you're on your own.

If you have a 'custom rod' of any kind all they do is Warranty the blank against 'workmanship and materials' supplied by them. To repeat: For the rest (rebuild) you're on your own.
    Dan Nelson likes this.
  8. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0

So you're saying there is yet more misinformation on Sage's website? How do you personally know they don't have custom build partners and don't need them? This is straight from Sage's website at http://www.sageflyfish.com/about/rod-building/

For those of you who are interested in purchasing a custom-built rod, please visit one of our custom rod building partners by clicking on a logo below:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

9. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +352 / 1
    Wow! I have many Sage rods. I have had two warranty repairs over the years and both went off without a hitch. The last, two years ago, was new stripping guides on one of my Spey rods. I took it over to Bainbridge and dropped it off, got a tour of the factory, and the rod was in my hands eleven days later, no charge whatsoever. It did cost a bit for gas to drive over but the drive was pleasant on a sunny day. They are some of the nicest, most accomodating people I have ever met. Maybe you just had a bad day. PM me your address and I'll send you a $5 bill.
  10. mbowers Active Member

I don't need any help from anyone on the forum to resolve an issue I'm aware of. I do however hope the forum will help me notice issues that I have not noticed. I posted the multiple issues so anyone else using the process will pay extra attention to make sure they are not overcharged. Is it so irrational of me to look out for my fellow man? When I talked to customer service BEFORE posting here there did not seem to be any interest in addressing the bugs so a rational man would draw the rational conclusion that those bugs plus the additional 4 bugs discovered since the first call to customer service will continue to impact other people.

I called the warranty department again today for the third time over these 6 issues and no one is there to pick up the phone after 6 rings. I have sent an email to customer service so hopefully I'll get some feedback there.
    Irafly likes this.
  11. mbowers Active Member

Since it's so easy for people near Bainbridge, how about PM me your address, I'll send you the pieces of the broken section of the blank and a check for $50. You can pop over to the factory, split the money with them however you want and arrange to send me back the new blank section.
    Ed Call likes this.
  12. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Today is a holiday. At least there is free parking in Seattle. That will save us all $5.
    Dan Nelson likes this.
  13. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +349 / 5

So not only must Sage (a relatively small business) work weekends to serve you, they need to work National Holidays, too? WOW!
    Freestone and PT like this.
  14. royalcoach Active Member

White Mountains NH/Maine
    Ratings: +107 / 0
    There is no crying in flyfishing !!!!

Tough crowd here .... funny.... but tough !
    I remember Washington and especially the Seattle area being very friendly courteous people .... must be a Sage-owners thing :D .... but I own a few Sages and Im a nice guy ....that is if you don't crowd me on the river.
  15. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +752 / 2
    This isn't about being friendly or unfriendly. It's about being reasonable. Start off with an unreasonable rant and you'll get honest opinions. I wouldn't say anyone other than the OP is being unreasonable. Hell, someone even offered to send him a $5 check to cover that huge screwing that Sage put on him.

Here's the contact info from the very friendly person who helped me with my warranty issues. Contact her and then come back and let us know just how unreasonable Sage is. smagnenat@sageflyfish.com
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  16. FLYFLICKER Chris

Vancouver, Washington
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    A Sage owner thing? No, I think it’s a lack of forum educate and respect, surprisingly amongst FELLOW fly fishermen.
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  17. mbowers Active Member

Normal business hours include working lesser observed holidays (most businesses do work on Washington's Bday). All 4 other small businesses I dealt with today were working so I reasonably expected they would be working too. Of course they don't need to work any day they don't want to, but it would be nice if they could turn on the answering machine for the first or second ring when no one is home. For the small companies I've worked at, the same person takes care of IT and the phone so maybe a performance review is due..
  18. Anchorman New Member

Homer, Alaska
    Ratings: +2 / 0
  19. Anchorman New Member

Homer, Alaska
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Re-read thread for performance review. Have a nice day
  20. mbowers Active Member

Email sent. I don't think they are unreasonable, I just think they severely botched the online warranty process for blanks. I'm just looking for competence with whoever I deal with, but I will await feedback before posting further. Thanks.

PS it's a $15 screwing at the moment ($10 shipping label+$5) :)
    Irafly likes this.