sage Response rod

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Olive bugger, Sep 16, 2013.

1. I agree with Bob on this Sage. I cast most of the Response line before they came out and had the opposite reaction to what some of the reviewers said above. I would happily fish with one of these, and especially liked the 8 wt. I do have at least one size of all of Sages more (most) expensive models, and yes, I can get more out of them, but frankly, it's not that often I need the extra performance. And you do have to spend a hunk to really feel the difference.

However, the entry level rods out perform anything you could buy at any price when I started, and these new Response rods seem designed to secure product royalty so when a customer can afford top shelf, he/she is a loyal fan. I thought the price point was very good, but my reference price is probably warped.

And Sage rods are made right here in Washington by Washingtonians. Buy local.

Bob Triggs and Olive bugger like this.
  2. Well, I have 4 Sage rods, all of them older models and only two were high end at the time I bought them. But the point where the rubber meets the road, is that they all perform well for me. I guess I can't ask anything from a product more than that.

My original inquiry was that of curiosity more than anything else.
    I have no problem with Sage asking the going price for their flagship
    rod, ONE, but I might have a problem with buying one if I can get a
    suitable one for less money.

My quandary is that the 8 wt is a little heavy to cast and I would prefer one with a lighter touch. The Response seems to meet that.
    I also have some 6 wt line that I over lined my old 5 wt. rod with, that is not a sage. I was also entertaining the idea of maybe a replacement in a 6 wt. This will take a little consideration for me.

3. Well I spent a bunch of mornings on the beach with it over the past month, but evidently I'm a crap beach fisherman and/or I was fishing at the wrong place/time because I never even got a tug.

As I suggested in my earlier post, I don't really have enough casting experience to really comment on the Response. The only other rod I've spent any time casting is my 9' 5 wt. It is an entry level Sage (don't remember the model name) that is about 5 years old and is medium-fast action. My Response is 9'6" 8 wt that I'm casting big salt water flies with and trying my best at double-hauling. All I can say is it is "different."

4. What line are you using? The bigger your fly, the more aggressive a taper it takes. I don't see where you live, but go to a pro shop and get help with a selection that works for your style and application. It's a lot like matching tires to a car. And the shop guy might give you some guidance on your double haul while you're testing the lines.

5. One thing I will say about fly rod reviews, and the variations in experiences between fishermen trying the same rod; Only some of it has to do with the line and taper, leader and fly etc. In a perfect world we would all use the same line etc., and we would all have the same stance, grip and casting stroke. But in reality almost everyone casts a little differently from the next guy. And most fly fishermen whom I have observed, on the water fishing, cast significantly different from the next guy. It is only a very small percentage of fly fishermen who are willing to do the work of really learning how to cast correctly; studying many texts, studying videos, working with a professional casting coach frequently in the early years, practicing diligently, regularly and frequently. It is so easy to just buy a rod and rig it up and go fishing. And hack away at developing a half way decent "fishable" cast, with plenty of built in problems. And the more one continues to cast a fly rod, with no real understanding of the basic physical mechanics of the cast, the more likely it is that they will end up doing it incorrectly, and becoming quite good at casting badly. And then the unconscious mind takes over.

Just about everything in fly casting is beneath the dignity of your conscious mind. So if you are learning how to cast properly from the beginning, you will soon be casting well, and doing that mostly unconsciously. But if you are developing casting flaws, and not aware of the problem or how to correct it, and you do that for any length of time, you will be reaffirming the problem. In truth most fly fishermen are stuck at some level of development and skill as a caster for some period of time in their fishing life. Some never get out of that rut. One of the things that many people do is to buy more and more elaborate fly lines and rods in an effort to get nice, tight accurate loops, line speed, and distance. The spending could go on forever. But what would really help is for the caster to get some qualified, structured training, and some supervised practice over some months of time, and really learn how to cast. Doing so would really raise the level of your game. The amount of effort and expense required to do this is far less than most will assume. And the rewards are huge. Once you get that kind of learning curve going, which can last a lifetime of better quality fishing experiences, then you won't be so worried about having the perfect rod and line for the job.

The truth is that you could then go back to the rods of the 1970's and earlier, especially many of the earlier soft fiberglass rods, and rig them up with an inexpensive low tech double taper fly line, and easily achieve the kind of accuracy and distance, line speed etc., that the most modern stuff is all touted to do for you. The most significant difference then would be that you would be better able to really appreciate the amazing modern rods that we have today, and the many improved tapers and specific designs. And when you did get a first rate modern fly rod, you would be able to experience what the concept of "reserve power" or the word "potential" really means in fly casting. Some of the rods available today are the result of many decades of study, trial and error, and real art in design, fabrication and casting. No matter how much technology there may be involved, someone still has to string up each model of rod in development and make it work the way that they are hoping that it will, and the way that you need it to. A huge investment of time, expertise, materials and money goes into each new rod, taper, etc., before it gets to the production stage. There is a very good reason that some rods are as expensive as they are. And the warranty is a part of the bargain too.

So when you are considering the purchase of a modern high performance fly rod today, or even one of the more "entry level rods", just remember that you are getting a lot more technology and design and art for your money today, compared to 20 or 30 years ago. And these things are not being made and finished off by robots. If you take a little time and effort now, to become the best caster that you can be, or even just a little better each year, you will reap enormous benefits throughout your fly fishing career. Fly fishing is one of the very few sports where you can improve your casting skills all of your life. Simply buying a better rod and fly line will not be as satisfying. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

6. You speak words of truth, Bob. However, my search is one of
    personal desire and not one of extending my casting reach. I
    know my limitations and I am quite happy with my current quiver of rods. I have reached the age where my older rods are not as pleasant to cast as they once were. My search is for one of more response and lighter feel.

I am quite satisfied with my 5 wt. SLT is a delight to cast. My RP is nice, but after a few cast the arm is stressed. Hence my search for
    a lighter rod. The Response seems to fit that requirement.

7. If swing weight is something that is important to you then you can do way better than the Response.

8. How so? I am interested.

9. When I was looking for a couple trout rods I tested the Response across 3 different weights and lengths, and I felt that compared to other rods of equal or lesser price point, the Response felt heavy to me. You seem to be set on buying a Sage which is fine but I think the TFO BVK is a much better rod as far as weight and feel goes. But heck we all know that is all relative.

10. I Will seek one of hte TFO rods out and try it. I appreciate your input.

11. Look at the Winston GVX Select. My most favorite rod by far but I can not afford it right now.

12. I saw Winston on the rack the other day. Didn't touch it so maybe I will.

Got to go visit the shop today for some tying supplies.

I do like my Sage rods, and always have had good luck with the company. When I was gainfully employed, I often did business with them through my employer. That said, I do not recall any matrimony vows between us. But they do make a crackerjack product in my eyes.