WTB Sage SLT 383-4 or similar

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Jslo, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Jslo Active Member

Ratings: +80 / 0
    I'm kinda set on a Sage SLT 383-4.
    Any thoughts or opinions on this rod that would be good for my soup of thoughts?

PM me if you have one or know where one is!

cheers
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  2. Get Some Member

The Deep South
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    i have a 389-4 SLT. beautiful rod ascetically, a smooth great casting rod. def anything in the SLT series will be a great addition to your collection. cannot go wrong with a SLT. be patient though, they are hard to come by i think mainly b/c no one wants to let them go. I searched for about 6 months before i got mine. my 2 cents.
    Jslo and jaybo41 like this.
  3. jaybo41 Member

Eastern Great Lakes
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I have the same rod--389-4. What a dream it is to cast, it's wonderfully smooth. Superb rod for small spring creeks.
    Jslo likes this.
  4. Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

auburn,wa
    Ratings: +83 / 10
    MINT!!!*** Sage SLT 383-4 3 wt Weight 4 Piece Fly Rod this is on ebay with 7hr left
    Jslo and jaybo41 like this.
  5. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +154 / 8
    because you are wise and discerning....my favorite model.
    Get Some, jaybo41 and Jslo like this.
  6. Jslo Active Member

Does anyone have an opinion or experience on line/grain? overline? What line would you spool up? Cheers, you guys are the best.
  7. jaybo41 Member

Eastern Great Lakes
    Mine 389 likes Rio Gold or Airflo Supple Tactical in WF 3. SA Mastery Trout would be another option.
  8. Get Some Member

The Deep South
    second on the Rio gold, 3wt line
  9. Jslo Active Member

I lost the auction for the SLT! Nooooo!! I had a bid failure at the last moment :( lol.

I am also considering a Sage LL. Just based on our common enjoyment of the SLT, is the LL something I should pursue?
  10. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +282 / 0
    That LL will run on average $100 more, and the 4-piece 389 seems pretty rare. In general older Sage 3-weights are in demand, so be prepared to bid pretty high for one unless you just get lucky. The ZXL 386 is a good rod and you can get a new one in the $500 range on closeout if you use Google.
  11. Get Some Member

The Deep South
    My 2 cents.... The SLT is faster in action than the LL series. While the 3 wt older sage rods are in demand, as stated above, the LL series will command more than the SLT series. Def take into account your desired casting speed when purchasing, as there's a big difference the SLT and LL. my limited knowledge would put the LL as slow, much slower than the SLT. Both are incredible rods with there own characteristics. Can't go wrong with either, just take into account their individual speeds
    jaybo41 likes this.
  12. Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

auburn,wa
    Ratings: +83 / 10
    Next time use Esnipe for that last second bid on Ebay can pre-schedule bid
  13. Jslo Active Member

yeah I did use e-snipe type deal- but I messed up the increment (i.e. I entered a 326 bid on a 325 auction...and the bid increment is $5 at that point. I needed to go 330 or higher! rats lol...live and learn). I thought I was all sniped up tech savy guy and lost the dang big rofl! :rolleyes:
  14. golfnfish New Member

chattanooga, tn
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Just sent you a PM on a 383-3 SPL I might be willing to sell.
    jaybo41 likes this.
  15. jaybo41 Member

Eastern Great Lakes
    Spot on with my experiences as well.