Sage spey fly rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by East Fork, Jul 21, 2003.

1. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    I was recently given a 14’ 9wt Sage spey rod. The tube describes it as a “GFL 9140-3 DS”. I haven’t been able to find any information about it on the internet. Does anyone have any information about this rod? Is it a good rod for a beginning spey caster such as myself? What would be its ideal use? What would be a good line for the rod a a beginning caster? Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated.

2. esudol

esudol New Member

Deleted message

No message

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    That should be a custom made rod. The GFL was their blank denotation I do believe.

I had a factory built 9140-3 (just sold it because of my injury dang it). Baby was a CANNON. Awesome tips rod. I used a multitip WC spey 9/10/11. Baby fired for miles. Awesome rod. Really gonna miss her. But I agree, go to the site mentioned. ALOT of good info there for speys (some reps for rod companies there as well specializing in spey rods).

4. crockett

crockett New Member

Media:
    I agree with Steelheader, that rod is a rocket! String it up with a multi-tip Windcutter on there and you'll be happy. I think it would be a great beginning spey rod...forgiving and lots of backbone.

-Crock

5. Lambchop

Lambchop New Member

The GFL series tends to be a bit heavier weight wise then say a GIII, 10-1/2oz compared to under 8 for a GIII, but is a fun rod to use. GFL's were factory built and B is the code for a blank.I would say yours is a factory job. Sage produced the GFL for about 5-7 years and stopped making them about 5 years ago.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks Lambchop. I had no idea they made factory rods on that blank. I've seen maybe 20 rods that were GFL's, and all were custom built. So assumed they were custom. I used to make alot of rods on old Lami and Fenwick blanks, and they always had a different lettering system on their old blanks compared to the factory built. But, never built Sages, so had no idea. Thanks for the insight.

Never got a chance to see a 9140 in the GFL. Have seen some one handers and casting rods made off them.

7. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    What does the hardware look like?

DS used to indicate "discovery series" which was Sage's introductory level rod. Since been replaced with the DS2. As To "GFL" All my old (all at least 5 years old) brown two handed rods 9126-3, 9140-4, and 7136-4 start have the GFL prefix on the tube cap. Not a Sage historian, but my bet would be that you have a Discovery Series two hander...

8. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    Thank you everyone for trying to help but I am still uncertain as to what I have. So after reading the above posts, I e-mailed the same question to Sage. I’ll post Sage’s response here if and when I get it. :)

9. Wildram007

Wildram007 Guest

Isn't speculation sometimes more fun than actually knowing? DS = Discovery Series. When the DS Spey was in production, it was quietly regarded as a bona-fide sleeper spey option by many.... sshhhhhh. A huge score.
    :smokin

10. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    I talked to Sage. The rod is a discover series rod and was last manufactured in 1998. He said it was designed for beginners fishing medium to large rivers so I guess I'm set just as soon as I figure out how to cast it. :)

11. Lax

Lax New Member

Hello buddies,

I ve seen this thread and I thought I might get some answers about a similar issue maybe ?
    A friend is selling his Sage Spey Rod and I wonder if it worth it : the model is GFL 10150- 3
    So 15 foot lenght, line # 10 and 3 sections.

Is it a valuable Spey Rod for advanced casters or more for beginners. I am not very familiar with Sage fly rods, but I can tell your guys have much more experience than I do.

Thank you for your help,

Lax

12. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Awesome whitefish and bluegill stick.

13. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    That rod is a rocket for tips and large flies. It's way to big for summer work, but in general, you scored big getting it. Great winter rod!

14. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Oh yeah, as for lines. I'm currently using a RIO Skagit 650 with a 5' cheater. You can definately load it with a bigger line and I'm thinking of trying out a Skagit compact 680...

15. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

LOL Almost fell off my chair!

16. Fred Krow

Fred Krow Member

The first generation Spey rods were Graphite II and labeled GF for "Graphite Fly"

The second generation graphite is Sage "GFL" this is their" Graphite Fly Light" which dates back to the late 1980's when the Graphite III material was introduced.

The GIII rods RPL, RPL+ and RPLX were discontinued then reintroduced with lower cost reelseat and guides as the DS series, the 9140-3 DS is the same blank as the very popular GFL European action model.

The GF and GFL Spey rods were brown in color and usually did not have Graphite III on the label, my rods have "Graphite 10140-3 GFL" for example.

I really like the GFL 10150- 3, it was the first two handed rod I learned to cast.

Regards,
    FK