Sage: spin & white dots

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Octavio, May 10, 2005.

1. Octavio

Octavio New Member

Hi all.

Well...i just got my first blank to start in the rod building world.

It’s a Sage TCR and as any other Sage comes with white dots near each rod section end.

I was surfing the forum looking for this info but I couldn’t find any confirmation. My question is: For what the white dots are if they don’t show the spine?

Thanks !!

Octavio

2. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I built a sage vps almost a year ago and asked the same question after i built it, apparently this is where sage feels is the best place to lines the guides. on mine these white dots did not line up with the spine.

3. Trevor

Trevor New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yep, the white dots are the straightest portion of the blank according to the person I talked to when I bought a sage blank. Those are the markings that are meant to be the line on which to place the guides. If you like how a factory rod casts, that's where they place the factory guides. I noticed on the XI2 that I built it didn't line up exactly with what I thought was the spline, but I figured that they knew what they were doing and built the rod their way. The rod turned out great. It casts like a cannon and plays fish like an old pro. I thought the spline was off before I built it, but being a novice, I decided to take their advice and use the markings. I'm glad i did.

Trevor

4. SSPey

SSPey Member

I always rub off the dots with my thumbnail and spine the rod. Always happy with the results.

5. Octavio

Octavio New Member

thanks guys !! I'm waiting an answer from Sage in this regards....I'll let you know as soon as get the email :thumb:

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yep, the white dots are the straightest portion of the blank according to the person I talked to when I bought a sage blank. Those are the markings that are meant to be the line on which to place the guides. If you like how a factory rod casts, that's where they place the factory guides. I noticed on the XI2 that I built it didn't line up exactly with what I thought was the spline, but I figured that they knew what they were doing and built the rod their way. The rod turned out great. It casts like a cannon and plays fish like an old pro. I thought the spline was off before I built it, but being a novice, I decided to take their advice and use the markings. I'm glad i did.

Trevor[/QUOTE]

You don't think Sage would mislead you do you? nothing to gain and custom builders to lose...plus novices. Great company and I would seriously consider the information provided you by them......they don't have to paint the white dots but they do......do as you please!

7. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

I also leave the dots on there, and use them to align my guides. I figure Sage knows what they're doing, and I've built...I don't know anymore how many Sage rods, and have always used the dots, and never had a problem with casting or fighting qualities of the rods.

Jeff