Sage VPS ...........BEAUTIFUL

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Pat Kiernan, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Pat Kiernan

Pat Kiernan Member

I did a deal with a really nice guy which included a second rod that I thought I didnt really want but would take as I really wanted the other an XP 796 4. The other rod came in a shabby tube with the zip broken an old different sock it is a Vps 790 2 the rod is a dream to cast I LOVE it what a surprise. So gentlemen who I know know their sage who knows this rod is it an rpl ? Anyone else fallen for it? It is a 2 piece and has a fighting butt perfect for my light salt here in the emerald isle!

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I believe that rod is the Gen III graphite and a replacement for the RPL.

I have an older RP sage that I truly love in a 8 wt. I also have a sage SLT 5, an older LL 4 pc 5 wt and a blank built into a 2 wt LL. All are delightful rods. I prefer the SLT, which is also Gen III graphite, and it cast like a dream. I call it my magic wand.

Hope you enjoy fishing with yours.

3. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

Definitely not the authoritative source here, but, I believe the VPS is the old RPL blanks that they were phasing out. I bought a VPS 5 wt to be a backup to my RPL, and they both have very similar action. Both made of their Generation III graphite, and have the same nut brown color to the blank. Definitely a great rod for a great price in it's day.

4. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    My hole quiver is VPS. From the 3 wt. up. Love the speed and having them in multiple weights is a bonus because I can pick up any of them and us the same speed to cast.
    Having cast some of the newer,faster rods I have come to realize they are not going to work best for all situations. Like heavy flies in heavy winds. But they work great for delicate presentations when needed, and the medium action is easier on lite tippets. IMO.

5. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

The only single hand steelhead rod I own is an RPl+. love that rod so much. Not quite as fast action as newer Sages, but a pleasure to cast for sure

6. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I built a 5 wt VPS. It is my go-to rod, the one I use the most by far. I own about 15 rods and that one is on every trip with me. Cast great with a Rio Gold line by the way.

Wayne

7. funfisher

funfisher Fish On!

I own more than one VPS. I toured the Sage factory a couple of years ago and verified that the VPS is based on the RPL. Great rods and a pleasure to fish.

8. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

When Sage replaced the RPL with the RPL+ in 1995, I hated it. I sold my RPL+ and went back to my RPL. Apparently other fly fishers felt the same way because the RPL+ didn't last very long. It lost out to the Sage SP that was introduced a year earlier. The RPL+ was soon discontinued.

Kind of like Coca Cola replacing the old Coke with the new Coke and then reintroducing old Coke, Sage reintroduce the RPL as the VPS in 1997. Identical to the RPL, it took them 2 years to bite the bullet and admit the RPL+ was a failure. At the same time they brought out the VPSL to meet the demand for the Sage Light Line series that had also been discontinued.

9. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

I've got a 5 wt VPS that was my first higher end rod. Still fish it.

A few years ago I purchased the VT2, which I believe was the newer model of the VPS. Love that rod and it's my go-to for all trout fishing.

10. Pat Kiernan

Pat Kiernan Member

Intetestimg that what seems to make sense to me is the gen iii as the rods I like are rpl, rplxi slt, ll xp and now vps. I bought a 5wt vps light from a forum member here and adore it. Now this vps too. I cast a sage one last year and couldnt get on with it at all. Think im stuck in gen iii. What gen are we on now? Also it seems you dony see many vps for sale

11. Yak

Yak Member

Albums:
    ^^^ I'm with Pat and have a few each LL,RPL,XP as my go to rods. Love the LL in 2/3 wt, RPL in 4/5wt and XP in 6/8wt. I had a hard time in the 5 wt category and tried the SP for a while, then an SLT, but I had a 4 wt RPL that I really like so decided to try the 5 wt and that was it. SP and SLT just didn't feel right for me.

12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Hard to beat the old school brown Sage sticks. I have a 490-4, 590-4, and a 690-4 rPL's and use all of them on a regular basis.
    If you need to make quick short accurate casts, try over lining them by one line wt. They eat it up.
    Still looking for clean 796-4 and a 896-4 RPL's.