Sage VT2 Discontinued

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Porter, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

Word is they are closing them out...should find sales soon.

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Thanks for the tip!

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

That is a great tip on a great rod. Thanks Porter, for the continued support of my horrible habit.

4. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

What! Ed you don't already have at least one?

5. Ed Call

Oh Bob I have at least one...but if there is a closeout and sale involved...
    My friend Bitterroot is the minimalist. I'm sadly not as disciplined.

6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Awesome, I will have to keep an eye out. I love my VT2 4 wt. Wouldn't mind picking up another....or 3.

Nick

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

Rumor..and just that...the VXP...the xp with downgraded hardware for mid price point. Similar to what they did with the RPL and followed it with the cheaper VPS. Time will tell.

8. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Hey Ed, you won't believe it but I don't have one, let alone 2 or 3... I guess I don't have a problem afterall, lol!

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

My go to dry fly rod. Wonder what they're going to replace it with.

10. elroostere

elroostere Member

This seems to be the sage rod line that I always overlook so I've never cast them. I'm looking for a 4 wt. Anyone out there use the 490-4? Thoughts?

11. Ed Call

I have used the VT2 490-4. I love every one of the 4wts I have, each for different reasons. This one is moderate fast and really casts well for me. I would say that it is a rod that allows for some casting variables. I have faster rods that are not tolerant of starting the forward cast too early or late, pretty unforgiving but send it when you get it right. The VT2 smoothly applys my crappy casting stroke into a very nicely presented fly. Backbone for bigger bugs and streamers, even baitfish on the beach an light wind for SRC. No reason not to find a way to get one in your hand and cast it for yourself. I have had friends not like it because of the blue color. Other than that the only other negative comment I've heard is that it is not a high end rod. Sage makes higher and lower priced rod series, but to snub this one because it is not the most expensive is to overlook a very find casting too. CRAP, now I want to seek out more VT2's.

12. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I got one tis summer, and it continues to astound me. One of the most fun rods I've ever cast. i match it with a 5 wt Windcutter usually, but it casts up to a 6wt sinker beautifully.

13. Anyone have one of these in a 6 weight? How are they using a full sinking or maybe a sink tip line, stripping streamers?

14. toddr

toddr Member

15. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

16. toddr

toddr Member

Sweet Water Fly shop has a couple 4 weights online for less than 350. Now you have two options.

17. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

18. I use a 9'6" 6wt from the beach lined with an intermediate sink and it continues to bring a smile to my face everytime I go out. I am definitely not the best caster, but it doesn't seem to care. It's fast enough to punch weighted or non-weighted streamers into a firm wind and delicate enough to present a dry as well. When I cast other rods, this is the feel I turn to for comparison.

19. DANATTHEROCK

DANATTHEROCK Member

Mountain River Flyshop has them for $325. Website shows $475, you have to call them. I talked with Steve the other day and he has the 6 wt in stock for sure. Not certain what other sizes he has left.

http://mtnriverflyshop.com/