Sage VXP Issues?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flyfishmt, Jul 22, 2014.

1. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

Media:
    I bought a 4 piece, 6 weight Sage VXP a year ago. I have tried two different 6 WF and one 7 WF on this rod and it doesn't cast for anything. I get about 40 feet of line on it and it just dies. The "expert" at Cabelas thinks it might be a lemon when I brought the subject up in a BS session with him.

I was wondering what others have experienced with this particular rod. I probably own 20 different fly rods and this is one of the worst casting rods I have ever had. Is there any recourse with Sage over this?

2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Just get a hold of their warranty dept via the telephone and explain your situation- they are good people and should do something for you

Has anyone else cast this rod and made it work?

3. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

Media:
    My buddies and I swapped reels from rod their rods to this rod one day on the Bighorn and everyone struggled to make this rod work. I can put the same line on a mid-grade Redington rod and get it out 60+ with no issues.

4. funfisher

funfisher Fish On!

I own a 5wt VXP. Hard to cast with a 5wf line so I up-lined to a 6wf and it casts great. Never heard of a Sage "lemon" rod but I agree with Stilly about contacting Sage. Those folks usually go out of their way to make it right. I know... I live 15 minutes away from the factory.

5. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Media:
    Is it just not the rod for your casting style? Most people can adjust to different rod actions, but it's damm near impossible to force yourself to like one that doesn't jive with you. Maybe see if you can exchange for the new Accel rod? They are supposed to be less stiff and more castable.

6. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I'd take it to an "expert" at a Sage dealer and ask the same question (with rod in hand).

7. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    Purchased my wife a Grace (pink VXP) 586, I thought it was a great casting rod, even throws a pink wf4 ok! She's happy

8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Myself, being used to slower action rods - 80's superfines - I purchased a saltwater 9' 6 wt. Helio's rod from Orvis and took it straight to the park for testing! I can cast mostly any rod in 5 minutes and know what it needs but this rod was fast - and I mean fast! After 10 minutes of my long stroke flailing I finally tucked my elbow and gave it a real short - quick - snap - and low and behold some of the tightest loops and greatest line speed I had ever done with such ease! This to me was the hardest rod to learn but after finding out that it wanted the quick - short - tight stroke the rod came alive with the sweetest tight loops you have ever seen, my friend was watching and called it "beautiful"

This fast rod was not an all around rod, it only wanted to throw tight loops so I sold it but it was a great tool for say - saltwater - where wind is a problem and tight loops cut through the wind much better than open slower loops I'm used too.

I would suggest tucking your elbow and snapping the rod with quick - short - fast strokes and see what happens! I called Orvis about the action of the rod and was told it was more of a 6 1/2 or 7 weight but I liked the 6 wt S.A. steelhead line on it and keeping a tight stroke - I over lined it and it just turned it into a mid-flex which it wasn't designed for. I liked the super tight loops it threw much better because that is what it was designed for ---- good-luck!

9. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

Love my VXP 690-4. I'm not a great caster but with a Rio Grand 6wf and a few little tugs (hauls) it picks up and fires out a 65-80 foot cast with ease. The Rio Grand is an aggressive 6.5 weight line. The rod is fast and needs the extra weight to load...at least for my mediocre casting ability. But that said, it is a very responsive and long caster. Try the line and if it doesn't work maybe its the rod.

10. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

Media:
    Update: Let me begin by giving Sage a huge shout out for the help with this. They picked up on this thread and got a hold of me to help me straighten out the problem. Their concern and attention to this was amazing. Great customer service.

I did go to the Rio Grand 6WF line and what a difference it made. I was throwing some great distances on the weekend and for the first time, I could really get the rod to load. IMO, I just don't think it was designed for a normal 6wt line. This VXP is surely one of the fastest rods in my collection and I just wasn't getting the needed OOOMPF into it. While I consider myself to be a good caster, I have somewhat of a lazy cast, which is a bit slower and more methodical than most. I swing a golf club the same way.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

para_adams likes this.
  11. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Good news. Now show us some pictures of fish that you have caught with it. Greedy eyes need a feast.

12. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

great to hear! You'll be using that 690 VXP with the Rio Grand to throw weighted nymphs through brick walls at 80 feet in no time. :)