Sage Xi2 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Casey Hodges, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Casey Hodges

Casey Hodges Member

Greetings. I am in the market for a good fast action 8 wt. salmon/steelhead rod and am considering a closeout Xi2. I know this rod was really popular a couple years ago, and wondered if it has a loyal following. I am sure that the Xi3 is an improvement, but I am not willing to spend $700 on a salt rod. You can find great deals on new and used Xi2's. I have breifly casted one, and liked it. Stiffer than my XP. I am interested in your opinions of this rod. Thanks.

2. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I have a 10 wt. and with a Rio Outbound, It's a casting machine. I'm not a great caster but managed an 80+ ft cast the first try; probably farther had I stripped out more line. They are really a fine instrument if you can go the price. I've seen the Xi3 and can't tell the difference in appearance. I haven't cast one yet but if you can get a good deal, I'd jump on it.

3. jsuyes

jsuyes FFF-CCI

Media:
    I have cast them both. Both are good rods. I did prefer the Xi3 but the differences were not that big of a deal.

4. Bowfish

Bowfish New Member

If you can get that XI2 on sale don't wait!!! It will be gone while you are still pondering. The XI2 is an increadable caster and will serve you well. The reason it is being discontinued is to make way for the new lighter technology in the XI3.

Bo

5. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I love my 6 weight, and use it weekly in the sound for cutts and resident Coho. Last week I abused it on chum because I foolishly didn't have any thing else in the boat, and it landed them too. It's the finest shooting head rod I've used, so at a discount price, is probably unbeatable.

6. Tom Arroll

Tom Arroll Member

Media:
    I have a 10 wt Xi2 and have fished it around the world. It is a great caster and has landed many a big toothy fiswithout protest. My only complaint is my arm gets a bit fatigued after a long day of casting. This is probably more of a result of my poor technique as I sometimes muscle my casts too much rather than tweeking my stroke. I am sure it would be nice to have a bit lighter rod as does not take much difference in weigh over the lenth of the rod to increase fatigue.

Thomas

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Tom, you nailed it with your first observation; muscling casts will do it. Though it's much more likely to happen if you're muscling a 10 or a 12, but if you're casting all day (say, blind casting) and muscling your casts (for whatever the reasons, say casting in to a wind), you're going to get fatigued casting pretty much any weight rod.

The Xi2 rods are a great balance of casting and fish fighting performance. Some rod models are better with floating lines, some with shooting heads, and some a combination. Some rods are great for casting, while some might be better for fighting fish. For heavy fresh or saltwater fishing there might be a couple rods that perform better than the Xi2 in individual categories, but not many will finish in the top few of each of those categories. The Xi2 does. It's a tough rod, too.

You won't regret buying it.

8. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    I love the rods.
    I fish a 6wt for almost all my salt fishing and a 10wt for kings in the rivers and the occassional lingcod.

9. Casey Hodges

Casey Hodges Member

Thanks for the input guys. I found a great deal on a factory fresh 890-4 at the Gorge Fly Shop for $429.00. I'm stoked. None of my local shops have any left.

I would really appreciate your help with a killer floating line recommendation. I already have a Rio Aqualux that I love in an 8. Is this a good rod to overline, or should I stick with the suggested line weight? Thanks.

10. Jonathan Walkenberg

Jonathan Walkenberg Member

I'd put an outbound on it.

11. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've been scouring the internets for an XP 896 to use as a steelhead nymph rod. Hard if not durned near impossible to find. Sounds like the Xi2 might be worth considering as an alternate choice. I've never fished the salt with an 8 wt but certainly it wouldn't be a negative thing to have a rod rated for the salt...

12. FishOn!

FishOn! New Member

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

Itchy, I think you will find a noticeable difference between the Xi2 8 weight and the XP 896, They had a 796 in the Xi2, which I have never tried, but might be more suitable for the tasks of nymphing, roll casting, etc. The only other rod I have casted that felt similar to the XP was the now discontinued Redington CPS. To me, the 8 Xi2 is a stout rod and perhaps performs better with a 9 WF and heavy shooting heads. (MHO)

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Line, for what use? It all depends on if you mostly fish rivers and if it's summer or winter fishing, if you fish the salt, and whether that's with streamers or poppers, or . . . ?

15. Casey Hodges

Casey Hodges Member

Sorry,

I am mainly looking for recommendations for a good floating line that will suit the Xi2. Much like my Rio Aqualux, it will see salt and river use. Two votes for Rio outbound. I want something that is slightly heavier than the specified line weight to load the stiffer Xi2. Thanks.

16. Craig Schulz

Craig Schulz Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....

Try the Airflo Forty Plus, I like it better than Rio Outbound.

17. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
  18. dms61

dms61 New Member

I've got my 8-wt Xi2 paired with Sharkskin (same weight). It shoots a fair stretch (for me), unfurls well, and floats like a charm, but has all the same problems discussed in other forums on this site (e.g. noise, tough to clean, absurd price, etc). On big strip sets (a rarity) it digs canyons in my fingers. Don't get Sharkskin if you've got a blood clotting disorder.

All told, I wouldn't get it again.

DMS

19. waterworker

waterworker Member

Media:
    My exact thoughts also....Got it in intermediates in 9 and 10... also a D7.....(have a nine outbound but prefer the 40+).

20. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I've used a 6 wt Xi2 regularly for the last couple of years with the 6 wt Outbounds, which are around 1/2 a wt heavier than standards. I just replaced the 6's with 7 weight lines, and wish I'd done so years ago. It works superbly.

That doesn't mean it's necessarily true for the 8wt though. Each model is different, and you and I probably cast differently. Go to your favorite shop where they will let you (and probably help you) actually cast, and decide for yourself.

The old Rio running lines in intermediate and floating have a well deserved reputation for tangling. The new Outbound Short (30' head) and the intermediate running lines found on the sinking lines are fine though.