sage Z-axis vs meiser MKS

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Michael Thompson, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    alrighty, heres a question with no answer but as always i would appreciate some input...
    im looking to build a summer rod and im toying between a Z-axis 7 weight or a MKS. has anyone tried both?

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    I've only fiddled w/ a Z Axis...I think it was the 12 1/2" 7 or 8 weight. I liked it. I own the MKS 13 1/2' 7/8 and love it. It's extremely versatile and is a fine casting rod. You'll find a lot of MKS 7/8 fans, especially on spey pages.

3. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Media:
    I have both rods..I fished the 7136 Z-axis for about a year until I received my MKS 13' 6/7 in the mail. I have never gone back to the Z-axis. Both rods are great to throw, however, I just love the feel of the MKS vs the Z. A Compact Skagit 510 works great on the Z while I chose to throw either the 510 or 540 compact on the MKS. The MKS just feels and looks better while fishing. The Rod loads much deeper than the Z and uses less effort. Probably my favorite part of the MKS is the grip. I really like a low profile grip for feeling the rod load.

I haven't thrown a Z with the grip shaved down, but I am sure it would feel great.

Both rods are good...I just personally like the "custom" feel of my MKS.

4. FT

FT Active Member

This is like comparing a ZR1 Corvette with a Chevy Cobalt. Both are cars and both will get you from here to there, however, one simply provides transportation and the other is a world class supercar. The Meiser MKS is like the above Corvett and the Z-Axis in comparison is like the Cobalt. There is much more difference than the level of detail to cosmetics between these two rods.

The Meiser was designed by two people (Bob Meiser) who actually fishes with 2-handed rods with input from Mike Kinney one of the best steelhead fly fishing guides now alive. Meiser also elicits the imput of many very good spey casters to help fine tune his rods and he makes changes as he sees the need. Meiser also will build the rod to the type of rod action you desire and like.

It isn't that Sage doesn't build a very nice rod, it does. However, Like the other large rod company factory made rods, it just isn't in the same league as either Meiser or Burkheimer rods.

5. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

You might throw TFO into the bunch as Meiser and Kinney designed the Deer Creek series. It wouldn't be a custom rod by any stretch, but I'm sure it would be good is those two allow themselves to be associated with the product.

6. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    you really need to cast them. That said- I own 3zaxis and 0 mks. I like Mike a lot but the rods are not for me.

7. sashjo

sashjo Member

I'm confused. On another post, you state that you own the Burkie 7133. That 7 wt has been called the best all around rod and the ultimate summer rod. Why another 7 wt?

8. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Both these rods are great rods...

but it's like saying I can't decide between white or black..They are completely different rods...

I own two z axis 5126, 9143, I own three MKS 6/7, 7/8, 8/9 and am looking at the 5/6

The Meisers load deep, take your top hand out of the equation and it will throw more line then any rod I've tried with allot less effort...

Thing is it's hard to take the top hand out so if that's a problem you have then the z is a great alternative...the Z loves top hand or rather won't punish you for using it...

Z feels like it's faster though the top end of the Meisers are supposed to be as fast..Z's don't load deep like the Meisers...

If I was going to throw a long line, I would take the z simply because the Meiser will kick it's ass with skagits...

Last, the 7 z and 7/8 MKS are not compatible rods...Z is more like the 6/7 MKS

9. Michael Thompson

Home Page:
    i mainly looking to build a back up, and using it as a heavy duty cutthroat/steelhead stick... besides is there anything wrong with having more than one rod?

thanks for all the input guys, im going to do some more research on the meisers and give the shop a call this week.

10. sashjo

sashjo Member

Once you own the best 7 wt ever made, any other rod will fall short. That said, I have the 7133 Burkie and the 7110 ZA.

To me, a backup rod is one I would not be too upset if stolen. I keep a TFO in my truck bed at all times. It only gets used if I break the primary rod. I guess that you define your backup rod in a different way.

11. halibut

halibut Banned or Parked

There is no comparison. Meiser uses CTS blanks from New Zealand and there simply is NO COMPARISON between a CTS spey blank and a z axis blank. Then add in the custom details Bob does and not only do you have a blank that blows away the z axis but you have cosmetics that blow away the Z AXIS

12. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Get the MKS, it is has soul.

13. Michael Thompson

Home Page:
    i am beginning to see the error of my ways... as far as stacking a axis and meiser together atleast, hopefully my ham-handed rod-building skills wont besmirch the meiser blank. i will be ordering the builder kit from his website when the time comes so i will have some great components to booger up.:ray1:

14. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    I have a 7110 and though it's a great, truly great rod, my Meiser is supreme.
    I don't have an MKS though, I have a 13' 5/6/7 Highlander Hybrid. You want a heavy trout/summer steelhead rod, that's it for me.
    my MKS taper is a 7/8 Deer Creek, a heavier rod than the other two. more of a light winter rod.

15. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

what line did you pick for the deer creek? my bud just ordered one and was thinking 550 or 600gr.

16. AxisSally

AxisSally Member

Have a look at the thread on speypages about how many dbl handers you own?...some ppl have a bakers dozen! ptyd

17. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    We were fishing one last week with a 510 Skagit Compact and 12' of t-14 and it was pretty damn nice.

18. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Selling My MKS 7/8 13.5 Pics to follow....

19. JGS

JGS Member

I have sat on this post long enough - Chevy Cobalts, blah, blah, blah.

Bob Meiser is a great guy and I think his rods are fantastic. That said, this site and the prominent spey website are very bias toward Meiser. But anyone who says the MKS is hands-down better than a Z-Axis clearly is not being objective. The Z Axis is all of the rod of the MKS. While some may dig the MKS, others will clearly prefer the Z. The MKS has the brains of Meiser and Kineey. The Z has relied on the knowledge of George Cook, McCune and O'Donnell. The MKS has nice cosmetics and 'extras', the Z is clean and backed by an industry leading warranty.

Anyone who says one is better than the other without saying 'in their hands' is just buying the hype. Cast them both and make your decision.

With that said, one of the big MKS fans on this site owns all of my old MKS - I know fish the Z Axis 5126 and 7136. In my hands, they are better.

20. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:

iagree very well put.