sage Z-axis vs meiser MKS

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Michael Thompson, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Yeah, but which one is a better bobber pole? That should decide it.

2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Joe, what wt rod was this? Curious if you weighed the Skagit line?

Reason I ask is that on my Deer Creek 8wt I have an Airflo Compact Skagit 660 cut back so that it tipped the scale at the upper end of the grain window (600). When we put a 600 grain on the scale it didn't weigh as advertised. I have 109 gr Rio tips (15') for that line and even though I am a complete hack, it casts real nicely.

3. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    This was for a 13' 7/8 DC (if you could only have one spey rod, on a budget, this would be it, imo). Never weighed the line, i bought a scale last winter, and then realized i like tying flies and going fishing more than i like weighing fly lines.

4. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
  5. FT

FT Active Member

JGS,

The Meiser MKS and Sage Z-Axis are very different rods. The MKS has a much stiffer tip than the Z-Axis, which moves the casting load further down into the middle of the rod. The MKS has a softer butt than the Z-Axis, which means its butt comes into play a bit quicker than the Z-Axis. The Z-Axis is a thin-wall designed blank, the MKS is a thick-wall design blank, which means the Z-Axis releases its stored energy a bit more quickly then the MKS. Because the MKS has the stiffer tip and softer butt than the Z-Axis, when cast it can feel slower to a caster than the Z-Axis, eventhough the rate of recovery on both blanks is very, very close, because it bends closer to the rod grip when cast.

The stiffer tip of the MKS creates a rod that has a larger grain window as well. Plus the stiffer tip of the MKS and softer butt on it make a rod with an action somewhat like the old parabolic actions found on some of the best bamboo rods ever made.

If someone wants a Meiser with an action closer to the Sage Z-Axis, the Meiser Highlander Series is the one. The Highlanders have a moderately stiff tip, are progressive loading like the Z-Axis all the way through the butt to the cork (unlike the MKS, which are a bit regressive taper in the butt section), have a stiffer butt than the Z-Axis, and a large grain window with a fast recovery.

Like I said many times, the Sage Z-Axis is a very good rod and is among the best on the market, but you cannot get one with the action altered to fit what you want, Meiser can and will alter the action if you want him to. Burkheimer, Meiser, and Anderson are the only 2-hand rod makers here in the US that can and will do that. They are also the most innovative and are constantly tweaking their blanks.

Halibut,

Meiser has his blanks built for him by CTS to his designs, and he can and will alter a blank to suit what a person is looking for. Only Burkheimer and Anderson also will do this.

6. JGS

JGS Member

FT,

Thank you for your well constructed post, just curious why it is addressed specifically to me. I did not discuss the action, construction or casting characteristics of the two series. I simply stated that one is not better than the other and any statement that claims one is unilaterally better than the other is a farce. I don't mean to start something, just clarifying.

I have owned, cast and fished most of the rods discussed on this board. My current quiver consists of Sage, Burkheimer, and Anderson. I think the service and customization offerings from Meiser, Burkie and ACR are indeed fantastic.