Sage's new product: CIRCA - A Performance slow action rod series

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan Nelson, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    Tired of the latest and greatest rods always focusing and stiff, fast action?

If so, the news out of Sage today could be of interest to you. Their new rod series is a performance slow-action rod for anglers who prefer slow, deliberate casts. NOTE: According to Sage:
    "But be warned: the CIRCA does not mimic the type of slow action that has so far defined the category – overly soft, willowy and flat. Instead, thanks to Konnetic technology’s ability to compact and align more carbon fibers into a smaller diameter blank, we were able to design a radically narrow taper throughout the length of the rod, resulting in consistently slow, yet responsive action from butt to tip "

Full press release announcing the new series can be found here:

http://www.pitchengine.com/sage/sag...low-action-fly-rods-with-the-circa-collection

2. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    find an LL for sale, bid for it, win the bid and be happy. this is all marketing from sage and everyother mfg. too bad when they had a winner, decades ago, marketting took over and the LL was dropped in favor of the latest, greatest.

bitterroot likes this.
  3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I had a slow rod one time. I could make a lunch while waiting for the rod to load. I traded it off and now I would shoot myself if I ever got another one. I like to just whip the rod to get my line. I have found that over time I only have to do a couple of false casts to get my desired line out. I don't like to waste time casting.

4. Cedar

Cedar Active Member

The rod is cool. The price sucks.

5. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Very neat...but yes, that price point is HORRIBLE!

6. Dan Nelson

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just to put the price in perspective: A 1986 LL Rod had MSRPs of $250 - $350 (and more for some limited edition versions).

Adjusted to today's dollar valuations, that rod would run $700 to $900 today

The CIRCA is slated to cost $745 to $775.

So, in terms of real dollar value, there's essentially NO DIFFERENCE between the brand-new MSRP prices of the two rod series. In fact, the LL could have cost more in real dollar values.

7. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    Buy a Winston or better yet, buy a cane or fiberglass rod. Btw OMJ, I thought you old people liked eveything slow??? ;-)

8. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Dan - can you get your hands on one and give us a review?

9. Dan Nelson

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'll most likely get a field testing sample later this summer and, if/when I do, I'll post a note about where and when I'm heading out with it so you can try it, too. Might be some skinny water way to the east, though....

Steve Call and Derek Young like this.
  10. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Who would pass on a chance to try a new $800 Sage on Dan Nelson's secret skinny water?:)

Steve Call likes this.
  11. Porter

Porter Active Member

And what is it replacing? ZXL, TXL?

12. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

lots of slick marketing there and certainly a nice price tag I hope they made a good product...

13. Dan Nelson

Media:
    Home Page:
    Personally, I'm glad they DO have slick marketing! If the business that support our activities don't market their new products as effectively as possible, they sell fewer and the price-per-unit goes up (WAY UP!!) -- or they stop developing new products all together. Either way, we lose!

WIthout marketing, 50-75 percent of retail sales for non-essentials (and yes, as much as we might disagree with the concept, fly fishing gear is NON-ESSENTIAL) would disappear. That is a free-market fact.

After reading the thread about guide prices, I now realize I could make a fortune on this 'field test trip.' :p If only I had a guide license!

Seriously, I'm thinking I need to start getting WFF regulars more involved in my fly gear field testing/review process. Besides the Sage line up additions, I know Orvis is developing a SWEET new rod series. (thanks to a local guide -- one of those over-priced millionaires who guide just for the chance to screw us poor anglers :eek: -- I had a chance to cast a prototype earlier this spring. I WILL be staying in touch with the boys in Vermont about that rod. It might even get me away from my ONE!!!

Steve Call likes this.
  14. I still love the RPL series...

15. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

We've witnessed a return to full flex rods at the shop. Currently, our best selling rod is the Superfine Touch 7'6" 1wt. The second is a 9' 5wt Touch.

Leland.

16. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    everyone should have a full complement of LL's as well as the super dupper RPLs. back to the past is a great thing to persue and collecting and using them is even more fun.

17. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I have nothing against slick marketing.. I was just pointing out that it was in fact slick marketing, that is to say well done marketing.
    And that i sincerely do hope that they have developed some good products... I may be a competitor of Sage but it is my thought is that I want us all to do well..

atomic dog and Dan Nelson like this.
  18. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

We're bombarded with slick marketing, planned obsolescence, and all kinds of bullshit meant to part you from your money. Caveat emptor.

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I just want my aging to slow down.

20. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Lots of luck on that one, Jim. If you find the formula, I am your first customer. I could make you rich.

I have a few Sage rods. Four if IIRC. Most were purchased in the 80's and early 90's. All are very good rods and worth more than I paid for them.
    I got some pretty good discounts. I guess my favorite is my 5 wt 9 foot.
    But that little 2 wt is soooo much fun to cast.

That said, I doubt that I will be buying any more new ones. Would like to hear a report from someone that did, however.