Sage's new product: CIRCA - A Performance slow action rod series

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan Nelson, Jun 28, 2012.

1. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Ditto. I have some Winstons (Wt & Lt) that I enjoy quite a bit for their medium action and finesse.
    The RPL made Sage and is still an excellent rod today, 20 some years later.

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I've found my 2wt CT (poor man's LL) to be way more versatile than I expected.

3. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    That's really interesting. It helps that they have the coolest name in the business. (Z-axis is second and ONE is the worst)

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I feel the same. I'm set in the rods I have now. Another rod would leave what I have sitting idle. I have two sitting idle now. An 8wt and a 4wt. Just don't have the need for the 8wt.

5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I keep thinking I should put that 8 wt of mine on the block, but then I hear about somebody finding a steelhead with hookjaw and I am back in the game. At least in my mind. I am certain that some of these young fellows or gals could put some mileage on them, but they are like children. Each one has some memories built in.

6. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

I'm not sure I'm good enough to tell (or know) the difference 'tween the CIRCA and a Superfine, which was next on my list. I'm sure they're nice, but at that price aren't they approaching a Tom Morgan? Maybe, but I'll wait 'till I can get a used/demo/etc.

7. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    A new Morgan graphite will set you back about $1,400 and a two year wait between the time you order and when you get the rod. Great folks to deal with and the rods are, well... Morgan's.

I'm intrigued by the Circa. The new Freestone rods look interesting too at the high-end.

8. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

It's not often that I get to say this, but the Orvis rod is less than half the price of the Sage rod - $396.

Leland.

Builder and Dan Nelson like this.
  9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I've been fishing my 8' old Orvis rod from 1976 (don't know what it was called...Superfine or Far & Fine...whatever) lately, and it's a dandy rod as a full flex can be. I would guess that the latest Orvis line of the Superfines are great as well.

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I can't wait to hear some reports on these new slow action rods,As i'm getting older slow action describes just about everything I do. These rods could be just the ticket for us old timers

11. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    I'm curious to see if it's really a "slow action" or more of a medium, whatever it is it's a step in the right direction. If it's even close to my Biit it might be good, if it's too slow not too many people will buy it. I cast the ONE the other day and the NRX, both 9' 5wt's....... they can keep em both IMO!

12. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Any movement away from the four piece rods back to the two piece rods?

I can't get enough of my 9 ft. 5 wt. SLT I got in 2002. Great rod.

13. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    If you have The One, why on earth would you need another rod?

14. Porter

Porter Active Member

Because the "one" is for everything but this one...CIRCA...the residual rod.

15. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Oh...I get it. We have reached the epitomy of fast rods and now need to revert back to slow so we can spend the next 30 years making the journey again.

16. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I'm happy to see Sage slow it down, though I have no idea why they'd pick graphite for a slow rod (assuming it is truly slow, and not just medium). After all, Sage is a spin-off of Fenwick in the late 1970's, and their first rods were glass (in addition to graphite) when the company was called Winslow Manufacturing. They switched to all graphite about the time they changed their name to avoid confusion with Winston. I recently owned a Sage fiberglass rod that was very sweet. More about Sage's early slow glass rods here: http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5183000/Sage

Meantime, Leland's options sound good, plus there are a slew of modern fiberglass rod makers who do great engineering and artistry: Mike McFarland, Mark Steffen, Mario Wojnicki, Scott's F2 series, T&T and many more: http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5182995/Modern Rods

I still look forward to casting one of the Circa rods. It should be unique.

17. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Maybe we should talk about slow action fly rods, their virtues and limits. I like slower rods, especially when I'm more concerned about presentation, and seeing the white in the wings of a #16 Parachute Adams than I am in reaching the bank on the far shore. But really slow rods are lousy casting instruments. You may not need to cast a tight loop, but you need some butt-stiffness to play a fish of respectable size, or to cast farther than you can throw the line with your hand. As an example, take my six foot, two section, five weight fiberglass Herter - please! Offers will be entertained. I don't think I fished it more than a few times. False casting to extend line a foot at a time ain't much fun.

18. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Like graphite and cane, not all glass is created equally. There are glass dogs for sure, but gems as well. I just spent 4 days this past weekend/week fishing spring creeks using just glass rods. I cast mostly big meat with a 6wt and 7wt rods from Steffen, and they are most assuredly both excellent casters (even in wind) and can stop a 20" trout from running wild.

19. seaalki

seaalki Member

20. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    yeah, that , here ! here !