Salmon and Steelhead Recovery

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by SpeyrodMike, Feb 9, 2006.

1. SpeyrodMike

SpeyrodMike Member

Media:
    I writing a big paper for a huge essay assignment and i chose to do it on the health of salmon. If you could give me quotes on what you think or details on exactly what Bush's plan is that would be great.

2. bigtj

bigtj Member

Media:
    Mike,

As a former college student and a professional sceintist I'd like to give you some advice that should help - please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to help you get on the right track. I think you'll have a hard time convincing your professor with quotes or information from a bulletin board such as this one. Best bet is to go to the library check out well-respected sources to obtain your information from. One of the most important parts of writing an essay, especially one that is based on politics and science, is to be able to back up your points with high quality sources, and understanding how to do the research to develop your topic, discussion, and conclusions. Usually the lowest quality information is stuff off the web, with the highest quality coming from peer-reviewed sceintific journals. Proffs simply don't like a bunch of sources off the web. Talk it over with your proff to be sure.

There should be a press release available on Bush's plan, or perhaps something in Time, news week, new york times, etc. (the original press release would be the best). Get that, then compare his facts to what you can find in the literature - this will be the hard part, but will be the most critical part of your essay, it's the legs your essay will stand on. Present data that supports his view, and data that refutes it, then present your own conclusions. Stick to the facts and you'll do fine.

Good luck,

-John

3. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    Go to the library and check out "King of Fish" by David R. Montgomery. Several people have suggested this book, so I picked it up and almost done with it. Very informative and an easy read.

Des

4. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

5. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:

Yeah. What he said. I would surely start with a search within the peer-reviewed scientific journals. I am in school now, and with rare exceptions, all my research has had to be from reputable sources (not internet, magazines, media etc...) Where are you going to school? I might be able to point you to some good resources.
    Another thing. Your topic as you listed it here (health of salmon) is huge. Entire lives and volumes of books have been devoted to this topic that you are going to attempt to synthesize in your essay. Perhaps find a smaller niche on which to expand upon, while at the same time, giving relevant background info as an overview. I tend to think broadly as well, and I learned the hard way that you need to find specifics, not just general impressions.
    I am currently researching a paper on the aspects necessary for a naturally sustaining catch and release fishery. I had started to look just at recreational fisheries, but there was simply soooo much literature out there that I had to narrow it down. Anyway, I can point you to some good sources online, and here at UW if you want.

6. Preston

Preston Active Member

For some idea of the scope of the subject, see if you can find a copy of Return to the River, Restoring Salmon to the Columbia River, edited by Richard N. Williams, 2006, Elsevier Academic Press. Fifteen authors, nearly 800 pages, and that's just the Columbia River.

7. SpeyrodMike

SpeyrodMike Member

Media:
    thanks a lot

8. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

Media:
    What kind of essay are you writing? What level of school, etc...

This sounds like a really broad subject, and one that has already been done quite a bit. You should probably narrow your topic quite a bit. Be specific.

9. boxcar

boxcar Scott Willison

Another worthwhile read on the topic is Salmon Without Rivers by Jim Lichatowich. This book explores the steady decline of wild salmon runs throughout their native range, examining both natural and human driven factors in their current path toward extinction.

10. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

iagree Right on with this one. :thumb: The health of Salmon is one thing. The why is another matter. Unfortunatley, most everyone wants to put the blame elsewhere.

11. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

In addition to the excellent suggestions and references already listed I would ad, "Mountain in the Clouds; Search for wild salmon" by Bruce Brown. It has some excellent information that goes back a 100 years, or so.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

12. dr jones

dr jones New Member

Second and third everything everyone else has said...also get ahold of the Profs at the University of Portland. The Environmental Policy majors have done their Capstone Projects on salmonid health in the Columbia River, and this could be a good starting point. I know the first thing we did was read Salmon Without Rivers by Lichatowich, another good one is Mountain in the Clouds by Bruce Brown, both are very similar, Jim is more historic and probably more relevant. Contact my old profs and try to get copies of our projects.

Aka
    Getting a Master's in Montana