Salmon Fishing in the rivers...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by james.jimenez, Sep 4, 2012.

1. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Ratings: +159 / 0
    Please someone help. I am new to everything spey... Can someone please provide a few hints, tips, and or tricks on how to catch salmon in a river... I have tried the Nisqually butnhave only caught a trout or two.. I have a 12 spey a sinking tip and a floating... I have not even felt a salmon yet.. GRRRRRRR I have caught fish with my gear rod but want to get into one with this rod.... Thanks for all who can help.,.
  2. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +220 / 0
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,391 / 0
    James,

Catching salmon in a river can be stupid easy or impossibly hard. Chinook are in the Nisqually now, and successfully fly fishing for them requires being in the right place at the right time. I don't fish the Nisqually for salmon, so I can't give you detailed help. You need to find a piece of water that is both prime chinook holding water AND suitable for swinging wet flies deep and slow, right next to the stones. A gaudy marabou streamer fly pattern will attract bites.

To know that you're fishing deep enough, you need to adjust your cast, line, and swing until you are hanging up on the river bottom, then back off a bit so that you're swinging your fly just above it. Chinook like a very slow swing passing right in front of their face.

Coho will show up later, and they will hit the same presentation as chinook. But they will also hold in slow, frog water that has structure in the form of wood and snags. Cast, let the fly sink deep, then strip it back in fast. They will hit that. And they will hit stupid slow retrieves at times. Try different methods until you find what they are willing to hit that day. Also coho like a jigged fly, one with a weighted head. Let it sink to the bottom, then strip, let it sink, strip again, repeat. They often hit when the fly is dropping back to the bottom.

Chum salmon show up in the Nisqually in December and January, and they can be easy to catch. Use a chartruese green marabou streamer, or most anything really, and fish it with a wet fly swing. Chum don't hold in the deepest swiftest water like chinook, so it's way easier to effectively present a fly to them. Plus the chum are aggressive, hit readily, and give a good fight, making them popular with a lot of fishermen.

Good luck with those chinook!

Sg
    Nooksack Mac and fredaevans like this.
  4. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    chum are by far my favorite salmon on a fly rod. they fight very hard and just look mean. for chinook i go deep with black/purple and chartreuse/purple. steelhead style flies, big and nasty. thats about all i can add to the post already posted. also trry getting high and spot fish. that can help your chances a lot as well. its just like trying to find big trout. same holding areas try to hit seems of soft and fast water.
  5. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +589 / 0
    I concur, wholeheartedly :)
  6. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +276 / 0
    I think with Coho it's all about targeting the right fish.. if you aren't immediately getting into fish you are not in the right spot at the right time. I fish brightly colored streamers on sink tips ( floating lines and surface flies will be my experiments for this year)

Get some pink marabou patterns get them down a couple feet and use a stripping retrieve and COVER WATER... Just because a pool has a bunch of fish in it rolling does not mean it's a good place to camp out and hammer away all day long... If it were me and I had to find a new river to target coho here is what I would look for

1. wild fish or an aggressive strain of hatchery fish ( not all hatchery coho are created equal) If you are on a river and the guys throwing spinners are getting them then you should be able to get them too.. if all you see is guys throwing corkies (((( MOVE)))))

2 fish a river that has as little fishing pressure as possible , or a stretch of water that has few anglers... This can be accomplished by hiking on busier rivers or driving to less popular rivers

cast and strip cast and strip cast and strip and work your way down a river until you start catching fish.. DO NOT get locked on a pool just because you know there are fish there... if they are the right fish you'll know because you'll be catching them!!!

I thin the coho that bite best are the ones that are traveling but have paused to rest in a pool briefly.. fish that are pooled and holding bite poorly and usually fish that are traveling and not stopping are usually to busy to pay attention to a fly... ( but they are worth a shot ) just don't waste a whole day on them..

fish close to tide water

I am going to say this one more time because it's soo important.. it's not about trying to get the fish that are there to bite... it's about finding the ones that already want to bite!!! the technique is sound and a pink marabou WILL work.. If you don't catch them it's not because of the fly or the presentation it's simply the wrong fish move on.. you'll catch them when you find them... it'll be fast and furious , it may last an hour it may last 5 minutes... but if you just fit and make cast after cast on the wrong fish you'll never find them...

sorry i kinda rambled just want to make the point that it's stupid easy fishing when you FIND THE RIGHT FISH!!!!!!
    Nooksack Mac and James Waggoner like this.
  7. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,391 / 0
    Re coho: also what Rob said. Don't waste time on non-biters.

Sg
  8. Achilles Member

Washington
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Also check out Jesse's post "Tactics for Springers..." in the Spey Clave forum. Some good info there.