Salmon Fishing Reports in the Sound - Rockfish or others how

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Coho, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Coho

Coho Member

Media:
    Hey Rockfish and Roger, and all you other saltwater salmon and SRC guys - have you been out catching any fish lately? Which direction and where are the fish right now?? :AA

2. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

Salmon Fishing Reports in the Sound - Rockfish or others

Resident silvers have been showing up in OK numbers in the North Sound areas that I fish. Nothing spectacular (for me anyway)but they're there. Had my best day so far casting out of a friend's boat near Point No Point. If you don't see any fish jumping or if you don't see any "nervous water" from baitfish being chased, try positioning your boat right along the edge of a drop-off and blind cast. You should get some action. E-mail me if you want more info.

3. Greg

Greg Member

Coho,

Pretty slow in Area 13. I recently questioned WDFW about what I perceived to be a drastic reduction in the number of Silvers available in this area over the past several years. Jeff Haymes, Coho Program Manager at WDFW, responded to my questions. Here's what he said (in part) in his 7/22/2002 reply to me:

"...marine survival rates for both hatchery and wild origin coho originating in the deep South Sound region have been severely depressed in the time period from the late 1999s to present. In the 1999 return year, the last year for which finalized oceanic survival data is currently available for Washington coho, marine survival rates for South Sound origin coho had dipped to less than 2 %. This is a huge reduction from the 10-25 % marine survival rates observed in this region prior to the mid 1990's. All Puget Sound region coho populations experienced reduced marine survival rates in this same time period, but the reduction for coho originating from other regions of Puget Sound were not as dramatic as they were for South Sound region origin coho. Although the return years 2000 and 2001 saw dramatic overall improvements in survival rates for most Puget Sound coho populations, deep South Sound coho survival rates did not rebound at the same rate, as indicated by examination of fishery catch and escapement data for this time period. The reasons for this are currently unknown, but are likely tied to continued, more localized unfavorable marine productivity conditions specific to the South Sound region, which are resulting in chronic resource limitations for juvenile, and possibly adult coho that are dependant on this portion of Puget Sound during at least one point in their life history. Interestingly, coho originating from the Strait of Georgia region of British Columbia have also experiencing similar chronically poor marine survival rates as the deep South Sound region in this same time period, with coho originating from the central Puget Sound region experiencing much higher marine survival rates. Hopefully, marine survival rate will continue to improve for South sound coho recruiting to fisheries in 2002 and your angling opportunities will improve."

Apparently, things haven't improved very much South of the bridge yet. Follow Saltchuck's advice for North/Central Sound waters; angling opportunity might not be what they were several years ago, but they're far better than anything currently in the South Sound.

Greg

4. Preston

Preston Active Member

Add to that the fact that in spite of the funds being available, coho pen-reared in the south Sound by WDFW were not released last year.

5. Greg

Greg Member

Preston,

Interesting point. I had heard some anecdotal comments along those lines, but never saw anything factual.

Also contained in Mr. Haymes' email reply to me was the following: "...The recent year resident yearling coho (also known as "delayed release") release summary for the deep South Sound region (Area 13) was 2.5 million released in spring 1995, 2.9 million in 1996, 3.0 million in 1997, 2.6 million in 1998, 2.6 million in 1999, and 3.1 million in 2000. As you can see, the spring 2000 release, which would have been the group of fish contributing to the majority of your resident coho fishing opportunity in the summer of 2001 was actually somewhat larger than in the previous years..."

The 2001 release stats were not included in Mr. Haymes' response and didn't cross my mind until I just read your comment. Intentional omission? I think a follow-up is in order to find out what happened in 2001 and 2002.

Greg

6. rockfish

rockfish Member

I sure hope the silvers arent gonna be like 98 or 99 when there was hardly any fish.

hey salt chuck where abouts are you fishin a legde around point no point, just north a few miles?

just got back from point defiance and got skunked, seen only a couple of fish caught all day.

whats up with sekiu and neah bay? no silvers yet, last year this time it was rollin with them, maybe it is gonna be a bad silver year. 3 years ago the sound got one of the lowest returns on record for silvers so chances are its gonna suck this fall,

7. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

I wasn't exactly fishing at a "ledge" - it's best described as a drop off. I position the boat so that you can see bottom on one side and not the other. Then I'll fan cast the area or target any visible fish or bait. The best areas seemed to be along drop offs in bays that extended in fairly close to shore and also near submerged points. Hint: There's alot of this kind of water between Kingston and Point No Point and also from Useless Bay on Whidbey Island to about 1/2 way up the island.

8. rockfish

rockfish Member

I totally agree with you on those close to shore ledges and drop offs. landed my first king on the minus tides around a point with a legde up north from point no point a little last week. got about 5 places where at minus tides the legde is exposed and its the best fishing from shore I can think of. thanks for the tip on kingston, never actually went south of eglon from the launch there. gonna keep that in mind. Ben

9. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

Try Whidbey too if you get the chance. It can be phenomenal along the drop offs in August. Especially on the down current side of a points (there are several - see the Gazetteer for names and access) as they taper into bays.