Salmon fly season on Rock Creek

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Johnny Staats, Jun 9, 2009.

1. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    That's one of a dozen actual "secret spots" that still do exist in this state yard.....Some day when the time is right I will teach you the ways. Not all blue lines are on maps. And sak....it's not there...I know what you are thinking and that's not it..and....you did and I am proud.

2. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    Now there is a secret hole! or spot. Or river. Or what ever. But NOT REPORT!!!

3. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Media:
    haha yeah i'm pretty sure you did. i ended up drinking some 50yr old womans chocolate martini at some random bar in issaquah while she and her friends were dancing to gangster rap. :hmmm:

4. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Confirmed. It was worth it to see the look on that guy's face when he realized his girl would take a Mexican with good credit over him.

5. Dave Montgomery

Dave Montgomery Banned or Parked

XTremeAngler,
    You're my hero. We can fish any time. I got your back.

Now, this Morrison fellow, he has tatts, and piercings? That makes him tough? I guess I qualify. How about a Harley? Well, I guess I qualify there. How about a patch? qualified. He drives a pickup? Tough guy? Do time? qualified.

I'll fish with anyone. I'll also stand up when someone tries to physically remove me from their "secret spot", or "their" water.

Fishing pressure? Try fishing the east coast trout streams where I lived for the past 40 years. Very little water, lots of city buttholes, it's called "combat fishing". Go rip on someone for posting good information there.

Regarding the originator of this post. So he's a shop owner? Where do you losers go when you try out new water? First place? Oh yeah, the local fly shop. You ask questions, "where shoud I go, what flies should I use, what time of day, do I use sinktip, where shoud I take a piss, are there hookers on the stream? Hey, shop owner, I want to catch fish. You telling me if I go to spot X, I'll catch fish?" Then, you buy a leader, or a single poly strike indicator for 95 cents and figure it's a good trade.

Be thankful for good info.

Oh yeah, which "Rock Creek" in Montana are we talking about here? There's more than one. Go check the squiggly blue lines.....and for chrissakes, keep it a SECRET.

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I think you should head back to "Rock Creek" on the East Coast...you know, ANY of those "Rock Creeks" over there.... :D

7. Dave Montgomery

Dave Montgomery Banned or Parked

Sorry Larry,
    I'm here to crowd your state, and your secret spots.

8. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    This thread is so fricken rad...DaveMonti "The OldToughGuyBadAss" just for you:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eE1eF-r1Rm0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eE1eF-r1Rm0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Do you feel the love man....

9. dryflylarry

Media:
    Davemonti, You're Bad to the Bone...

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpZYgqoxMAI

10. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    You leave that Harley on the side of the road where I go fishing and you'll be doing a manly walk all the way home.

11. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:

Harleys cant possibly make you tough, and what the hell kind of patch are you talking about? Morrison will beat that ass! Im pretty sure time as well, But he was biting pillow the entire time. Right tim??

12. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    :rofl: This shit is classic.............

......the image vs the reality...........:rofl:

thanks for the entertainment.....:rofl:

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I posted this on another thread but I need to know just who the hell's colors are you totin' around Mr. Monti? I have been associated off and on with outlaw bikers going on 40 years now and one thing I know about them is they don't like braggers and anymore they don't like attention. I have my doubts about you.

14. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    While I am waiting with baited breath to see if all this cock-tosterone will evolve in to a WWF throwdown............Here is some current Rock creek news

***********IMPORTANT Stream update for floaters!!! There is a VERY DANGEROUS situation at around mile 27; the log jam that had been there previously has broken loose and moved about 1/4 mile downstream TO THE LEFT channel. This is important is because everyone took the left channel before! We had previously reported that you should stay to the extreme right, but new logs have appeared in this channel and there is no way to avoid the jams in either channel - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLOAT THROUGH THESE JAMS - YOU MUST AVOID FLOATING THROUGH THIS AREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*************
    June 11, 2009 8:21 AM Yesterday, thankfully, what could've ended in tragedy didn't. I've mentioned the log jam at mile 27, but have failed to mention the danger at mile 4. I guess because it's been there for so long, it's easy to assume that everyone knows about it.
    In the late morning a fellow stopped by the shop - he had his rowing frame on top of his rig. John & Rivers Perry were here; the fellow that stopped by said he was going to float and asked about the take-out at mile 4. John told him to be sure to get out and physically walk it so he was aware of how he would need to approach it because if he missed it he would run into trouble. The fellow said he had looked as he drove by and it looked like an easy approach. John again told him it was not as easy as it looked and stated that he should go walk it. The guy stated that he was experienced and didn't think he would have any problems.
    Last night I received a call that someone had missed the take-out at mile 4, and had flipped his raft. Life Flight & ambulances were there, and a person was missing. It took until this morning before I could find out what happened, and if everyone was safe.
    The missing person had floated downstream, and was picked up by the guy that lives next to John Perry; the other 2 in the raft were safe. No one was injured. And yes, it was the same guy that had stopped in earlier in the day. Thankfully, all are okay. His raft is still hung up on the log jam, and I suppose all his gear is gone. But, no lives were lost.
    The obvious moral to this story is that no matter how experienced an oarsman a person may be, this creek is ever changing and what may have been good last year (or even last week) is not necessarily so today. The few minutes it takes to assess a situation is worth the time to keep from getting into a predicament that you may not be able to get out of.
    Okay, now that I've said that, it's time to let you know about the bugs. 2 days ago there were none - yesterday morning when Joe drove up to mile 22 they were EVERYWHERE, so they emerged overnight. I had several people in the store yesterday, and there were salmon flies, goldens, and green drakes hatching. The fish were not tuned in to any of them yet though, although that will change quickly too. I'm sure this week-end will be a zoo up here, once folks find out that the bugs have finally appeared and they are moving fast!
    Action yesterday was still best on the SJW thrown in to the calmer (if it could be found) water. Stream flow this morning is 1770 cfs - that's about half what it was 4 days ago! Stream temp is 49 degrees - warm enough for the bugs to hatch, but still very cold if you go in the drink!
    Joe has run into a little snafu on the job, and ran out of materials just when he thought he would be able to finish. So he was out of the house by 6 AM heading to St. Ignatius for more siding material. The salmon flies are tormenting him - he NEEDS to get finished!
    That's it for today. Be sure to stop by if you're in our neck of the woods...
    Deb & Joe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I spoke with my friend who lives on the creek last night.............the water is finally out of the pastures and the stoneflys are everywhere..........the next week should be extremely good..............It will be the normal bumper-car-raft run...............lots of fishermen and lots of fish...........remember, pay attention for the log jams.........know what is going on....................

Now back to the cock-tosterone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. jsuyes

jsuyes FFF-CCI

Media:
    If you know a stream in Montana that has hookers, for crissake, please dont keep it secret.

:cool:

John

16. junebug41

junebug41 Junior Dave Monti fan

Media:
    :rofl:

Brilliant Stuff.

17. junebug41

junebug41 Junior Dave Monti fan

Media:
    I've actually become kind of curious as to what exactly happens after you beat somebody down over a fishing spot. Do you just pick your rod back up, straighten your vest out and go back to fishing the disputed run while the unfortunate slob lays there and bleeds? Or maybe you kick a little dirt on him and say "I told you, son, it's MY spot... beeatch!" and then leave? Or is there a more knightly etiquette to it, so the losing combatant, realizing defeat is at hand, drops his dukes and says "You have defeated me in battle. I concede. The spot is yours." and you shake hands and part ways?

Am I anywhere in the ballpark? What is the protocol here?

18. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know about fly flickers but I watched a pretty good brawl amongst some gut chuckers on the Samish River during king season a few years ago. No handshakes, no I told you so, none of that. I do believe that 2 or 3 were given stainless steel bracelets and a free ride to the Sheriff's place and several others were detained and interviewed on scene for an hour or so.

19. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think you pull your waders back up, light a smoke, and kick back all relaxed and spent-like. The other guy is obviously unconcscious and bleeding from the ears and rectum.

20. dryflylarry

Media:
    Maybe the losing combatant could pick up and leave, wading rather sloppily through the run or pool? Throw a few rocks in after the last exiting? :hmmm: