salmon fly size

Discussion in 'Salmonfly.net' started by Atlanticsalmonflyguy, Jan 24, 2005.

1. OK all you salmon fly tiers and historians out there... I have been trying to get some COTR and Indian Crow large enough to tie 2/0 and above and find that this is difficult or impossible. I am told the feathers just do not get big enough for wings on that large a hook. Yes, wings (indian crow on Red Sandy as per Kelson, COTR in wings on the many Parson flies for example) not shoulders or cheeks. My questions are as follows... assuming my source is right, the feathers do not get large enough to tie BIG wings, then what was used back then to tie these patterns large, or were they kept small by the lack of large enough feathers? Just what was the usual size for a Red Sandy or an Orange Parson anyway? Another thought... Jay... used as a throat is just not big enough, even the Asian Jay, for a size 4/0 Gordon, as per Cosmo Gordon, re. Frodin. How historically accurate is using Guinea dyed blue as a sub, AND, when did this start happening. If guinea dyed blue was not used universally as a sub like it is today, what was?
    Thank-you for any information
    Andrew

2. :thumb: Hello Andrew: I was looking in my 1930s Hardy catalog and found the Red Sandy (tied with IC) and the sizes ranged from 00-7. The largest was about 1.5 inches. that would Make sense, as thats about the largest size of IC I have on hand. Best of luck. A great looking pattern!
    Dave Potts

3. HI Dave,
    Many thanks for the information. What sizes do you have listed for the various Parson flies?
    Best wishes
    Andrew

4. Hi again Andrew:
    Parson came in #9-8/0! Im sure the Cock of the Rock was subbed. But not those great Hardy Hooks!
    Good Luck
    Dave :eek:

5. Guinea dyed blue was has been used as a substitute for jay since at least the mid-1880's. Kelson, Hardy, Hale, Fitzgibbon all mention using dyed blue guinea on large sizes instead of jay.