Salmon I.D

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rapalaman, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Rapalaman New Member

Ontario
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi. Anyone know what type of salmon this could be? There's been some speculation that it's some sort of hybrid, but no clear answer as of yet.

[IMG]
  2. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    The spots look like a Chinook to me, but I'm hardly an authority. I wouldn't know what to look for in a hybrid. I hope someone else can chime in more, but I thought I'd take a swing
  3. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,307 / 4
    Does appear Chinook like. Can't really see the gums. It could be the lighting in the picture but the body color seems chummy to me.

Cool fish whatever it is.
  4. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +332 / 0
    I vote king or humpy.
  5. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +378 / 0
    In this neck of the woods, with the spotting (particularly on both upper and lower tail lobes) and fairly broad caudal peduncle, I'd vote for Chinook.

If the fish has black gums that would strengthen my opinion.

Just my 2¢!

BTW, what characteristics are causing the confusion?
  6. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    tail spots top and bottom, chinook or pink
    tail spots elongated or oval makes it pink
    tail not noticeably silvered so not chinook
    jaw looks more white than black, also says pink

I say pink

j
  7. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +782 / 0
    Could be a Pinook or just one of those funny looking lake run kings. Some of them (the kings) have really unusual spotting.
  8. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +129 / 0
    Atlantic salmon
  9. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +859 / 0
    I read a short snippet about chinook/coho hybrids in a magazine a while back. I think it was great lakes area, apparently someone thought they had a record coho but it turned out to be a hybrid.
    nice fish though
  10. Tyler Speir Artist

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
  11. Fishee Member

seattle
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    If hybrid do exist in Great lakes, then hybrid it is... or maybe nicely photo shopped. Just looking at the tail section, you'll notice large oblong oval spots. That tells me the tail section is definitely a Pink salmon.

Notice the sudden change in color from the caudal peduncle section of the tail all the way up to shoulder. The color I see here has more light tint bronze color and the spots are very King salmon like. The body section definitely has a shape of a King salmon, the body purple color is a slight overkill, is usually more of a purple band. This could be a Blackmouth, aka King Salmon or Chinook. Blackmouths are usually smaller.

And the finally, the head definitely indicates that this could be a fresh caught Pink salmon. The eye on the fish seems to be looking down, which might indicate this Pink salmon picture was taken shortly after the catch/release.

Again, if hybrid do exist in the wild, that's pretty wild to me. Although if this fish was from the Great lakes, I can only imagine the fish would or should be much much more dark brown/olive color to the fish. This one is very bright.

Anyways, fun little topic to talk about.
  12. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Happens in th NW as well.
  13. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Pinooks were bred at one time, intentionally, as a hatchery stock. Lake Ontario i think. I thought I read the program closed and the last smolts were just dumped in creek/river/lake. They are common enough it appears they may be offspring from those plants. Could also be that GL tribs are often very restrained in terms of spawning habitat and the fall salmon must spawn in top of each other, and these are wild hybrids. Im sure there is some research, but in any even the pinook is a real fish.
  14. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +752 / 2
    Tough to say without looking at the gum line. The purple hue on the sides leads me to believe it's a Chinook.