salmon on a fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rainbow, Oct 14, 2002.

1. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    This is all well and good. But you made a nice post crappy. I really dont think I want to post any more picture for you. We all live and learn, You know you were in my shoe's once. Dont drive people like me away from a decent forum!
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Don't let them get to you everybody does something like that once in a while. If it was your first big fish I would be excited also. We all do funny things on our first big fish. When I caught my first big fish I was so excited I almost pissed my pants. And I'm a grown man. Even if it dies it don't go to waste. It will feed the other fish,the birds,and other small animals.

Don't knock him. How about what the Native Americans do to the fish they catch. Strip the eggs and throw the carcess out to rot.

Jim
  3. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Being new to the board, I was proud as hell about my first. But then the purist came on the thread with their "holier than thou" atomic drops. Persuasion is an art form which seems to elude the purist C&R folks. They breed contempt, distrust and they send someone else off the down the internet highway.

Being a good leader is not forcing people to your will, but allowing them to rethink their position until they want to do it of their own accord. Being tactful can be more convincing than slamming somebody when they are at their peak.

Just doesn’t seem very becoming of a good fly fisherman. Instead of a possible advocate, you have created somebody who will be very close minded about C&R. Always has to be 10% of the population screwing it up for the other 90%.

Matt
  4. MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Ashton, Idaho
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Matt,

You are the man. Well put.

Now to all of you soap box boys: "He that is without sin among you, let him be first to cast a stone..." Like I have posted before: I would like to shake the hand of any man who has never misshandled a fish.

Kudos to Rainbow for the pics and I can't wait to nail some chums on my 6 wt and throw them in my damn smoker. They are Hella good that way.

MacRowdy
  5. XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Seattle, wa, King.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Nice fish my man! Keep it going! As for your release, you did fine! Salmon spend years bouncing off of sharks, seals, orca, gill nets, rocks, dams, spillways and foul hookers, to keep a salmon out of the water for a minute or so, to fight it for some time is a mere drop in the bucket for that fish! I have seen worse! Not that what you did was bad, just not up to what others would like to see, thats all! YOu keep fishing! Keep posting Pictures and don't worry what people say! My hat is off to you! :THUMBSUP
  6. wheelbarrow New Member

Seattle, WA.
    Nice fish! Congratulations!

To the C&R perfectionists out there, my question is this -- if you're so extremely concerned with the minutiae of releasing a fish, why fish at all? You're annoying/stressing the heck out of the fish no matter how careful you are during the release. You don't think putting a hole through its flesh and pulling hard against the wound for a few minutes is worse than a few seconds out of water?? I'd rather be dunked underwater, where I can't breathe, for 30 seconds than impaled. If you want to really increase the fish's chance of survival and sense of well-being, keep your fly out of the water.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm always as careful as possible -- I only use barbless hooks, always fish C&R, try to match the tackle to the expected catch, etc. I just get annoyed at the holier-than-thou attitude of some on this board. Fact is, we're all messing with the fish in a way they'd probably prefer we didn't. Accept that, and do your best.
  7. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    I totaly agree. I run a business here in my town and the same thing goes. Thank you.
  8. flyfishnm Member

Helena, MT
    Well said 'barrow, I agree with you one hundred percent. Even "pure" catch and releasers that tought the "holier than you" attitudes are damaging the fish. The fact is you can't catch a fish, even C&Ring it without hurting the fish. 'Nuff said.

~Ryan
  9. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +128 / 0
    C&R on a Naselle hatchery chum? Is that stock in trouble this year?
  10. scottr Active Member

Chasing trout and birds
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Rainbow.

Nice fish!

These guys are not trying to be jerks they just care about the fish and want to teach you a better way to handle fish. I wouldn't worry about it.

The fish you caught is definately a chum (aka dog salmon because of those teeth and the fact the meat was use as dog food, aka calico salmon because of the coloring). aside from pinks, chums are the second least disirerable table fair. it is a nice looking fish though!

Pulling a fish on the rocks is hard on them because it removes the slime that protects their skin (a net can do the same thing). also fish are used to having the water support their weight and as soon as they are out of the water their insides are non longer supported. flopping on rocks is hard on them as well. The net is a good idea when you can't land a fish as DLW discribes but always keep the fish in the water as much as posible.

also, 30 minutes is a long fight especially in frog water like you were fishing. The length of the fight is due to the light gear you were using ( i know you were targeting CRC's for which the 6wt is great). chums will eat a 6wt for breakfast and I think you got lucky. In a river with current if the line didn't break your rod would have. personally I would fish a chum on anything less than a 8wt.

When fish over exert themselves (in the case of fighting with an angler) lactic acid builds up in their muscles. lactic acid is why your muscles cramp when you exercise and I would guess it has the same effect on a fish (maybe worse as they can suffocate if water is not running over their gills).

don't leave the board, everone has to start somewhere and this is a great place for info (I have found there are bigger jerks on other boards anyhow). I look back on my early days and realise I didn't always do things right and I still have a lot to learn.

Scott :COOK
  11. dlw New Member

Moscow, ID
    Like I said before, it's a chum so it's not really a big deal. I just though the fish could have been handled a little better. Unintentionaly, I have probably killed several fish this year. Sometimes there is just nothing you can do about it. This chum however could have easily been played quicker, and handled better.

I didn't intend to come down on anyone. I was hoping to steer him in the right direction, so maybey when he catches a wild steelhead or something, it will be released safely. The more one knows about C&R, the more efficient they can be.

Next to snagging, poor handling/releasing of fish is something that strikes a nerve for me.
  12. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    Hey Rainbow,
    Nice chum my friend looks just like the one I got last Sunday on my 6wt. Mine was not that big though!
    Which is OK by me on a 6wt!
    Keep on fishin' and learning as you go, that's the way most of us learned whatever is we might claim to know.
    Learning to know your species is important and so is knowing how to handle them.
    You will learn though, that's the important thing.
    Which makes your continued participation on this board even more critical because there is a lot of knowledge to had here.
    The first time I came to this board there was a thread just about like this, giving another guy un-holy hell about his fish picture! That really turned me off too, for a minute or two, but I decided to keep lurkin' for awhile and now I'm glad I did, because this is the A#1 best local fly fishing site available, well that isn't a guide's web site that is.
    So hang in there!
    LB :pROFESSOR
  13. Dutchman Tom Van Gelder

Auburn, WA, USA.
    I agree that the more we know and learn the better we are at things.

If your intent was to pass on knowledge your approach failed. I can not speak for Rainbow, but if this had been my post you lost my attention for learning after the first slam. Once someone takes the wind out of my sail it takes a while for me to hear what they are trying to say. Instead of words all I hear is wind.

I can say being new to the board I wiil think twice before posting anything.
  14. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    I do agree, This was my first fish post. I will under no condition post any more then just the fish. He totaly blue up my rush!
  15. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Don't let it bust your rush and besides, you may get to a point where you can tolerate and learn from EVERYONE here. Ya never know, ya might be fishing next to dlw and start talking like a C&R purist. But I'll bet ya figure out a way to be tactful. Just don't go to snagger.com cuz somebody expressed their right to free speech.

Still a nice fish though. Congrats.

Matt
  16. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
    Nice catch Rainbow. Don't let'm discourage you. The rest of us appreciate your post. I've accidentally caught a few just like it in clearer water and watched them do just fine afterward. Catch and release is good for the fishery but I too am tired of the self righteous holier than thou guys spouting off all this gobblygook as if they were saints and have all the right answers.

Randy
  17. saltchuck New Member

seattle, washington, usa.
    Randy you are right on the money!

This phorum has been a great place to share information, jokes, photos, experiences, etc., and Chris has done a super job of making it the best flyfishing site around. Let's keep it that way and not get too judgemental of others....who wants to post on a site and wonder if "big brother" will tell us what we did wrong each time we post. Just my .02 cents.

Thanks for sharing the great pictures Rainbow. I'm still waiting on my first chum of the season so I'm jealous :EEK
  18. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Your waiting for your first Chum And I'm still waiting for my first fish of the season. I mean my first big fish I'm just tired of all of the small fish that I seen to catch.

Jim
  19. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +283 / 0
    Nobody's perfect, but I maintain my position from my first post. The whole point of catch and release is to release the fish in the best posible condition.
  20. saltchuck New Member

seattle, washington, usa.
    Jim - Try buying one at the Pike Street Market and bringing it along with you on your next trip. You can hook it up and drop it in the water when Macrowdy or YT aren't looking. No one needs to know!! It is kind of tough though to make it jump and also to give it that natural look when you land it. Maybe you could sew up its belly before you go....kind of like Frankenfish.