Salmon on the Surface

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by JesseC, Sep 3, 2012.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    boat1.jpg
    I keep forgetting to post this video. This was quite a rush for me as it was the first time bucktailing for salmon on the surface. It was such a thrill to watch them following the fly and then finally lunging for it with acrobatics that you just don't get to see with a down rigger. This was near Neah Bay. We decided to drag the fly rods around for a couple laps after nearing our limit on the down rigger. Glad we did - this was the biggest fish of the day for us and happened to be on the fly. That's the way to end it!

Thanks to Jonathan Tarchell and Yellowlab for all the helpful salt tips and advice. Your help paid off guys!

Saltwater fishing was ridiculous that weekend - we were a bunch of amateurs, but managed to pull a limit within half a day. Good times. boat2.jpg boat3.jpg

G-spot4u and Jeff Dodd like this.
  2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
  3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Good going Jesse!

4. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Great post and nice photos. Funny part of the video was the guy who thought the silver was a chum.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  5. Flyfishmark

Flyfishmark New Member

Very cool! thanks for sharing the pics and video!

6. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Outstanding! Great sunset pics too.

7. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Pretty sure it was a coho. ;)

When you're half nauseated and your adrenal gland is flushing I would have sworn it was a marlin.

8. James Harrington

James Harrington Active Member

Solid work fellas.

9. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Nice fish! Years ago, like maybe 20, there used to be a fly fishing only season for salmon at Neah Bay. The technique was simple. Tie on a tube fly and troll a sinking line, all the way out and just fast enough to bring the fly to the surface. That's about a hundred feet behind the boat and in the prop wash. You could literally watch the fish come out of the swells and take the fly. It was incredible action and the fish were big. Sadly, that season was discontinued after a few years but the technique still works.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  10. Right on! Solid work!!!

11. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Sounds like a good idea to me. The couple of hours we fly fished were definitely the most fun. We had three guys hook up on the surface by the end of the trip and even managed to get a sea bass on a trolled bucktail the first evening. Pretty weird - I wouldn't think they'd shoot up for that.

The best part was the fact that we left the downrigger circus and were completely out in the middle of nowhere by ourselves when fly fishing. There were fish eating krill literally all around us.

Now I'm addicted to the salt :)

12. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    I was wondering when you'd post this...

ETA: and cut me some slack, I'm a newb to this saltwater/fresh fish gig...At first I thought it was a squawfish.

;)

Ed Call likes this.
  13. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

"That's what she said."

Great post and thanks for sharing with the community. The B&W is my favorite but the sunset pic comes close.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  14. fishingcheftim

fishingcheftim Member

Media:
    In the video when you were seeing the other Coho slash, it was probably feeding the regurgitated baitfish that the hooked one was expelling. If you look have Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon, look under Bucktailing flies and look up Nelson Baitfish. Bill Nelson talks about casting out to that slashing Coho and getting a double.
    Tim

15. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Interesting theory - but none of these guys had bait fish in the stomachs. That was a huge surprise. They were filled with krill or shrimp. Anyhow - I think it was an instinctual rush to action. That fish was going nuts, flashing every which way, as I was horsing him in. The other fish seemed to pick up on the action and started slashing too. You can't see it from the camera but Luke almost netted another fish inadvertently while netting the fish I caught. There were just thousands and thousands of fish out there.

16. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    truly one of the highlights in my fishing career!

17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:

No slack you cross fishing trouty steelhead slug.

Luke77 likes this.
  18. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Great post/report! I've always wanted to do that. Someday it'll happen. Looks like a perfect day on the salt with weather, plenty of fish and good company - you can't beat that!!

19. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    yep, it is an learned move towards a flashing fish (and why flashers work so well in attracting fish while trolling). when salmon are feeding on baitfish there is tons of flash from the fish chasing bait and the rush towards other fish flashing actually works really well for us fly fishermen because of the fact, especially at neah bay, that casting a fly towards someone else's hooked fish (regardless of how it was hooked) is a gimme for a hookup.

jealous as hell with all the neah bay reports. first summer since i've been back that i haven't had a chance to get after salmon out there. i can still mentally picture what it looks like out there when the conditions just come together... calm water and tons of fish and krill. it is the finest saltwater fly fishing and popper fishing for coho anywhere.

JesseCFowl likes this.