salmon river, idaho 16-19 mar.

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by mike doughty, Mar 19, 2006.

1. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    headed out thursady morning for steelhead fishing. we stopped along the big lost river along the way to get in some fishing for the day, got into a handful of trout. headed to challis where we had planned on staying for the 3 days but soon found out that the fishing was a lot better quite a bit further downstream so spent the first night tying flies and drinking. got up in the morning and headed upriver to the town of salmon, fished all day with only 1 stupid sucker landed and 1 fish lost. after the day of fishing, got back into town and got a phone call from the fish and game dept. saying that when wal-mart gave us our licsences they screwed up, so had to go to the dept. to get the situation settled. found out where the local hot spot was and spent the rest of the evening getting more sh@##y then we should have, it wasn't all bad but i won't say why on this site. didn't get up the morning until almost noon and spent the rest of the day having casting practice, i actually lost one fish, but could not confirm what it was. the next day was more of the same . i guess we were a little early for the bulk of the run so we are planning on it again in a few weeks. got home with enough time to get cleaned up and head to salt lake and support ryan and chris owens for the trout bum diaries showing. had a couple of pitchers with them and will probably be there again tommorrow, mainly to drink. 6 hours, and a couple of hundred bucks to get something besides steelhead, oh well.

2. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sounds like you got some other type of action. Good job......I think! Thanks for the report.

3. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    That's tough, Mike. But if you say it wasn't all bad.....
    But hey, you caught some fish, drank some beers, hung out with good company, and didn't work; so it was a better time than most people had.

4. Bill Reed

Bill Reed New Member

Sounds more like a drinkin' trip with a little fishin' mixed in,.......not that there's anything wrong with that.ptyd

5. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    pretty much just drank friday night, but because of that we did not get out of bed till around 11am

6. zachkohan

zachkohan New Member

Thanks for the report, I am going to be driving through that area in a month or so. I have seen the trailer for the TB Diaries DVD...crazy. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Do you know they guys that made it? Also, do you know where I can find a copy of it.

7. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    i have met 2 of the guys, in fact worldanglr from this site is one of the guys in the video. you can get the video from all about the fly, which is a sponsor of this site and there info. is on the main page or you could send flyshopkristin a pm since her and her husband own the fly shop.

8. Dan

Dan Member

Hey Mike,

Your fishing reports are starting to sound like OMJ's - had a good time; didn't catch any fish.

I'm watching the Arkansas reports closely. Salmon fly action is about over, but caddis pupae are in the drift. BWO's are abundant. Should be some slamming action in the next two weeks or so.

9. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    i won't be there until may