salmon season regs

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Skeena88, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Skeena88

Skeena88 Member

Anyone know why Area 11 is closed to salmon fishing Jan 1st to Feb 16th, and Area 13 is closed to salmon fishing Feb 1st to Feb 28th? Or am I reading the regs wrongly? (http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/2006/2006sportregs.pdf)

Trying to think of a management reason for the closure but coming up blank other than maybe protecting spring chinook going back to the White river. Seems a little early though if that is the reason.

2. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    Yeah those are the rules for area 13 but I am not sure why they are like that.

3. RKBTribute

RKBTribute New Member

You can still fish for "trout" year-round.

4. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Okay, so i have a question: if the regs state that the salmon are open from ___-___, and then again from ___-____, are you still allowed to fish for other species, ie. SRC? Cause Whatcom Co. is Area 7 and the regs are set up like those in the above post and I was just wondering if you coulf still fish for the cutties.

5. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    If you look at the Marine area regulations, you will notice below the "Salmon" section, "Trout" are listed. In Marine Area 7 rules, Trout are catch and release all year, and you can keep 2 hatchery steelhead/day.

6. 05tacoma

05tacoma Member

I'm wondering that too, although I'm under the assumption that 99% of the patterns fished (clousers, shock and awes, etc.) would catch both SRC's and resident silvers.

For example, there have been quite a few Brown's Point reports, which is closed to salmon right now.

So can I just say I'm targeting SRC's? (and obviously releasing any salmon caught in the process?)

How about night fishing? Can you catch an SRC at night or are you leaving yourself open to problems if someone claims you are targeting salmon?

7. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    IMO, I think it's a judgment call by an enforcement officer. If you're clearly targeting salmon, say, fishing with a down rigger, you're toast.

If you're on the beach casting your 6 wt rod or smaller, with flies that will take either species, be sure you're barbless as it will invite a closer inspection, but fishing is not closed for C&R for SRC.

Be sure to keep fish in the water while releasing, and you should be in full compliance with the regs. Incidental catch of a salmon must be released and not removed from the water.

Minimal and gentle handling will insure these beauties will stay healthy and are still around later this summer when they get to be barbecue size. :beer2:

8. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    So, if i fish for SRC with my 6wt with some small clousers, am i legit, or am i still breaking the regs? I am only targeting SRC, and all salmon would be released. Reminder, I am talking about Area 7. Any help!

9. Skeena88

Skeena88 Member

Searun,
    it is indeed legal to fish for sea run cutts (SRCs) in Puget Sound year round, so don't sweat it too much. It is legal. If you are targetting cutthroat and are using trout sized equipment, you will be fine. If you use a 4-6lb tippet and smaller flies it will be very difficult for anyone to argue that you are deliberately fishing for salmon. Don't use the 8" monster flies I fish with at Neah Bay:) . Keep a copy of the relevant page of the regs in your back pocket if that makes you feel more comfortable.

I did once hook "something", while fishing for SRCs, at BP in March one year on a 6lb tippet and a Clouser on a size 8 hook. The fish headed straight for Vashon Island and broke the tippet when I was about 50 feet into my backing. Don't know what it was, never did see it, but that is the only fish that has broken a 6lb tippet when I've been fishing in Puget Sound for cutthroat.

If you are using the cutthroat regs as a "loophole" to deliberately target salmon when salmon fishing is closed, then that is a personal ethics issue.

I would still like to know the management reason for the closures. Are the closures designed to protect a particular stock or life history stage? C&R does have some mortality, but I am unaware of any studies of C&R effects on mortality on immature salmon in salt water. At the very least, I would suggest that anglers don't handle the fish and don't take salmon out of the water when releasing them, use barbless hooks and keep the hook size on the smaller side.

Knowing the management reasons for the closure would allow anglers to make a more informed decision about whether they should reduce the incidental catch of salmon during closed seasons by limiting their fishing for SRCs during the salmon closure. Or it might allow anglers to advocate for a C&R flyfishing only exception to the closure if that can be shown to be biologically appropriate. Can anyone shed some light on why certain marine areas in Puget Sound are closed to salmon fishing at varying times during winter?

10. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Skenna -
    As I recall from North of Falcon the season changes in marine areas 11 and 13were in response to the needs to reduces overall impacts to ESA listed chinook stocks. For that area the two chinook stocks of concern were the mid-Hood Canal fish (which are caught through out Puget Sound) and the Nisqually fish.

That conservation burden was felt through out Washington waters just not South Sound. To get the exploitation rates down to agreed upon levels it was decided that part of the South Sound contribution included a one month closure for areas 11 and 13. It was further decided to spread those closures so that both areas would not be closed at the same time.

If you are interested in such things suggest you attend one or more of the NOF meetings. In the past there had been a fair representation of fly angelrs interested in South Sound resident coho at NOF but in the last year or two there has been such good representation with most anglers more concerned about other fisheries

Somehow I doubt many fly fishers will be limiting there cutthrout fish out of concern about impacts on salmon. In fact it appears to me that many are more than willing to use the loop-hole of fishing for cutthroat to catch salmon while "targeting' cutthroat. It because of that abuse I think I would seriously consider supporting closing the salt water "trout" fisheries whenever an area is closed for salmon.

Tight lines
    Curt

11. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    It because of that abuse I think I would seriously consider supporting closing the salt water "trout" fisheries whenever an area is closed for salmon.

what a swell idea, how do 'we' make this happen????:thumb:

12. Sterling silver

Sterling silver Member

Smalmla,
    I, too, have a probem with flyfishers "targeting cutthroat" and catching coho. If the season for salmon is closed, we should respect that closure. The coho are not swimming in the same areas as the cutthroat, and shouldn't be subjected to the hook. If we are truly interested in conservation, we should leave the coho alone when the season's closed.

Sterling

13. Sterling silver

Sterling silver Member

As an addendeum, many of the Puget Sound Coastal Cutthoat populations have their peak spawning period during February and should be subjected to less strain then, as well as the coho.

14. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    'Peak' spawning period? Then they should be safe from the salt water fly fisher up in their rivers and creeks getting their groove on.... Or are you talking about the trout who have finished spawning and have migrated back out to the salt??

15. Bob Young

Bob Young Member

Smalma: Aren't a vast majority of coho that are picked up off the beach from the "resident" program. If so, aren't those fish introduced for harvest? These fish don't have anything special going on during the closed period. It doesn't seem to me be 'Abuse' to catch a resident and take it home one month and not the next. Fly guys on the beach hook very few chinook so limiting the quest for coho should have very little impact on Chinook.

16. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Bob -
    If your angling ethic is such that we should each be allowed to pick and choose which of the various regulations we can ignore depending our needs or wants than go ahead and enjoy your time on the beach. Even though I may agree that potential Chinooks impacts may be low (but not zero) don't expect me to endorse your efforts.

Tight lines
    Curt

17. Skeena88

Skeena88 Member

Thanks Curt. Appreciate the info on the management reasons for the closure. I have caught quite a few chinook from the beach over the years and various photos and posts confirm that other folks have been doing the same recently in areas that may have been closed to salmon fishing. I won't be fishing the closed beaches until they re-open for salmon, despite being tempted by recent reports.

As I said earlier, fishing for cutthroat on beaches closed to salmon fishing is a personal ethics issue. Your suggestion that areas closed to salmon fishing should be also be closed to cutthroat fishing to avoid incidental take of depressed stocks makes sense, and it also might even help improve the searun cutthroat population in Puget Sound in the long run. I agree that the impacts to threatened or depressed salmon stocks from flyfishers are probably minor, but nonetheless some mortality is inevitable. I wouldn't want to target a chinook stock listed as threatened under ESA when management closures are in effect to try to protect that stock. Perhaps this should be brought to the WDFW commision?

Curt, hope you had a good bird season this year. I had a great one, mostly because it is probably my last with my CBR Skeena. She is about to turn 13 years old and even though she did really well on pheasant and quail, I doubt if she will be able to hunt next year. End of an era.:(
    Regards
    Steve C.

18. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

When i first read this I was a little taken back. I had just gotten back from cutthroat fishing where I actually caught a cutthroat. Then I see on another post people are publically flaunting the regs and bragging about using the "loophole". So much for fly anglers being more ethical:hmmm: While I strongly disagree with the idea that cutthroat seasons should be closed when salmon are closed, I definately see the sentiments here. However if we were to follow this line of thinking then we would stop ALL salmon fishing whenever one species needs to be protected. That would shut down almost all fishing except for the month of November and other times when black mouth are open for harvest. Our future is selective fishing and proper C&R tactics. By using single barbless hooks, no bait, no nets and not removing fish from the water we could expect a very low mortality rate.

The state nees to define selective fishing for salmon because right now I'm legal targetting cutthroat with a buzzbomb and treble hook. If you have ever done this then you know the mortality rate (hint: its high) If they (WDFW) want to avoid salmon mortality then they should restrict the gear that causes high mortality - large hooks and treble hooks. They could also restrict the angling for Trout to make it unlawfull to fish from a boat during these times- Trout are close to shore in most cases. Of course these cutthroat fishermen will just become flounder fishermen at that point...

Oh and while were on the subject of loopholes: What about the public fishing piers? Open year round for Chinook last time I checked:confused: or how about tribal sockeye fisheries that coincide with ESA listed Chinook runs. "Gettin incidentals" was what one tribal fisherman told me as he stacked Chinook on ice at the Shilshole pier last August. oops now I am getting into politally charged territory so I'll just shut up.

CW

19. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    Really? I have caught resident coho in many of the same spots I regularly fish for cutts.

20. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have to say that I am more than happy to get the resident coho a break for a month especially if it is in the best interest of ESA list Chinook stocks. It should give the residents a little time to forget what my flies look like and fatten up. Beyond that it gives me a great reason to finally go looking for cutthroat again, which I haven't done much of with the residents around. It should be pretty easy for most folks who do any fishing on the sound and want to fish ethically to pick beaches to avoid resident coho and target cutthroat. I know of a number of beach where cutthroat are common and resident coho only show up very rarely or the other way around although this is not the case at all beaches.