Salmon/Steelhead Conservation

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jay Allyn, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Media:
    You know I was thinking today, a rare occurence, that we as citizens and fisherman need to stand up and bring back the runs. One of the things that could be done is to cut back on the comercial fisheries. I have a feeling that sportfishing will go before comercial fishing. Better dam operation would also increace runs. Dam removal on smaller rivers would bring back hundreds of miles of water ways to fish passage. Logging restrictions like no logging two hundred feet from a stream allowed or something like that. Tighter laws on stream side development. Now is the time to rise up and bring back these fish. If we wait any longer we might not have any steelhead of coho to fish for in ten years. I would love to take my future kids salmon fishing, but this seams to be getting less likly by the year. I'm starting to wonder how many more seasons we have to fish. These fish are more than just animals, they are a way of life. We need to save them while we still can!:professor

Jay

Keep your lines wet

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

I always thought that there was supposed to be a 50' buffer zone to any river stream or creek. Well I was up on upper Pilchuck creek where they were logging at and they cut down trees that fell into the creek and they just left them there. So's where is their buffer zone.

Jim

3. dlw

dlw New Member

Are you sure they were cut down? Sometimes when they clearcut say 50-100' from a stream, the buffer zone is suddenly exposed to a lot of wind that it has not seen before and trees are prone to being blown down. I used to work for the company that owns most of the land around there and they are usually very good at leaving a decent buffer zone. The trees may have also been cut that way on purpose, because having logs/trees in the water is an important part of the streams structure.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

I didn't stop to check it out as I saw this when I was driving by. Even if they were blown over out of the buffer zone these trees shouldn't have landed in the water as they were smaller trees. No they didn't maintain a 50' zone to the creek. Besides these trees were almost choking off the creek. I will stop now as I will go back up there later this year and fish that area I can check it out again.But not until the 1st of June.

Jim

5. Preston

Preston Active Member

There's strength in numbers; join, and become active in, a group that shares your concerns. I would suggest the Wild Steelhead Coalition. Visit their website at www.wildsteelheadcoalition.com.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

I know about it,but I just can't seem to make any meetings as it seems that when I plan something like that something always comes up. Like baby sitting.

Jim

7. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    I won't say that you are preaching to the choir, as I think most would agree with your concerns. Every politician I have ever asked about this tells me this: "They read the letters that people send to them, and it makes a difference many times in how they vote." I have heard some of them say they wished more people would take the time to write in and vote and get involved.A well thought out and well written, brief, concise and clear letter can have an impact.Especially if it leans toward the positive and the productive side of the issue.So maybe we could take a few moments this year to sit down and write a letter to the commissioners of the W.D.F&W and tell them what we want, how we feel, how much we spend on catching and releasing wild fish each season; tackle, travel, lodging, meals, vaccinations for Team Rugged events... This does have an impact. way more impressive than an email campaign where it's impossible to read them all.It's the least we can do.I write dozens of letters every year on a broad range of fisheries issues.Sometimes it feels futile, but it's all I have. That and the "vote".It's one of the things that sets America apart in the world- we still have an opportunity to be heard.Speak out where it will do the most good- with the policy makers.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Little Stone.What is this "vaccinations for Team Rugged events". Is that correct or did you mean vacations?

Jim