Salmon/steelhead fishing on Snoqualmie?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Rock Bottom, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Rock Bottom New Member

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ok, I finally bought myself a nice 8wt rod and some flies, read information I can find on salmon fishing on the Internet. I think it's time to wet my pants (waders, I mean). But where? The closest is Snoqualmie, but I rarely fished there. I know Skykomish and Snohomish have a good salmon/steelhead run. But what about Snoqualmie? How is it compared to Skykomosh or Snohomish? It's close to home, this advantage can compensate for some of the grief if Snoqualmie doesn't have a lot of fish. But not all.
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,603 / 0
    The Snoqualmie no longer is stocked with hatchery summer steelhead smolts, so you'll need to wait for winter steelhead season to fish for that species. The Snoqualmie gets sea run cutthroats in good numbers and coho salmon in the fall, so you have that option locally. Your 8 wt is overkill for SRC, but should be perfect for coho salmon.

Sg
  3. Rock Bottom New Member

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks for the reply, Sg. Good to know there are "big game" fish in Snoqualmie. I've been fishing for little ones in the past few summers using my 4wt and 6wt rods. This will be my first year for big games, so any sea-run water creatures will suit me just fine! :)