Salsa

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Big E, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    In case you are trying to get rid of all the tomatoes you grew during the sunny summer <sarcasm off> here's an excellent salsa recipe.

8 cups of tomatoes (approx 16 tomatoes)
    2-1/2 cups chopped onions (approx 3 onions)
    1-1/2 cups chopped green peppers (approx 2 peppers)
    3 - 5 jalepenoes (can also vary pepper type for more complexity)
    6 cloves minced garlic
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp pepper
    1/8 cup canning salt
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro (fresh)
    1/3 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    16 oz tomato sauce
    16 oz tomato paste

Peel, chop, deseed then measure tomatoes, drain well.
    Mix all together and bring to boil. Boil for further 10 minutes. Pour into pint jars (1/2" headspace) and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Makes approx 7 pints plus a tad leftover for immediate enjoyment.

[IMG]
  2. Mayfly Aviator Member

Idaho Falls, ID
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Thanks Big E. I've been wanting a good canned salsa recipe.
  3. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    You're welcome. You might want to make a double or triple batch though as this is the best recipe I have done. Last year I did this for the first time and only did one batch. We liked it so much it was gone in about a month. This year I made a double batch and its going fast...certainly not going to last until next year's crop.
  4. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    Hey Big E,

I don't have tomatoes from my garden but I don't see why I couldn't try this with something from my produce aisle. Would Romas be the ones to get?
  5. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Romas would be perfect. Not sure how many of them you'll need to get 8 cups...you'd prolly be safe with 24 to 30. I had to buy some as well as I didn't have enough ripen up at once for a double batch.
  6. fishingcheftim Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    the recipe looks great. I would only say that your better off buying (if that's what your doing) a larger tomato. Think about peeling and seeding. Yes; Romas are a great tomato. I'm just thinking about the time.
  7. veilside180sx Member

Hillsboro, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    FWIW that's a very mild salsa in looking at the recipe. (I use that many jalapeno's in one jar of what I consider medium salsa)
  8. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Yes...its a mild salsa...slightly sweet and chunky. The first year I made it, I only used 3 jalapenos. This year I used 5 big ones. I could stand it a bit hotter but the wife thinks it's hot now. Next year I'm going to try different peppers.

The one thing I want to caution people on though is that this recipe is safe for canning and if you start modifying ingredients you may make it not safe for canning.

Anything can be added to it after you open and refrigerate it but a safe for canning recipe isn't something to modify if you don't know what you are doing.
  9. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0
    Thanks!!!! Sounds good!
  10. veilside180sx Member

Hillsboro, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm definitely not up on all the canning requirements, but I make a LOT of salsa.=)

Going to have to look into what is requisite for canning though, if I canned mine...it'd make it a lot faster to eat...lol

11. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Pretty simple actually....get yourself some pint jars and a large pot....boil water....add filled pint jars...keep boiling...pull out at correct time....job done

Head to Wally World and have a look in there canning section. They'll have the jars, pot, and accessories. I would also recommend picking up the Ball book of canning which should also be there.
  12. bobdawson New Member

San Francisco Bay Area
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I really like the name of this dish..It has nice ingredients and its recipe is also easy to make..I would definitely try this although its seem like tomato soup...
  13. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Actually my daughter complains about there not being enough juice. Deseeding the tomatoes gets rid of a lot of the juice.
  14. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    Now that sounds GREAT!! I'll need to give this one a try this Summer. Thanks, Big E!
  15. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +418 / 0
    Old thread, but I thought I would throw in some of my experience. My mom and I started canning salsa about a dozen years ago. We would drive to the Yakima area and get all of the stuff needed at a U-pick farm.

Roma's make the best salsa, but need to be skinned. This is pretty easy by blanching in boiling water for 20 seconds, dropping in ice water, cutting out the core and sliding the skin off toward the tip. If you leave the seeds in the tomatoes, drop the tomato sauce and add a little more tomato paste.

Always use name brand vinegar while canning (heinz is the best). Lesser brands often have more variance in acetic acid concentration and can throw off the pH of the food you are canning leading to spoilage issues.

One of the things you can add to your recipe that you might like is Mexican Oregano. Adds a little more depth and earthiness to the salsa. We also use tricolor bell pepper for a little added sweetness and use white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar.

I never remember the recipe quantities off the top of my head, but we make batches of approx. 8 quarts. We only can quarts and do on average 90 quarts per year and somehow we run out around August of every year!

If anyone has some quarts canned up and wants to made a swap let me know!
  16. starfairy New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I think I'm going to like this kind of salsa...with all those ingredients, I like it hot and spicy which makes it perfect for me. Thanks for the recipe.