Salt water fishing for chrome Chums?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Flyfishsteel, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Was wondering if anyone has been successful at catching "chrome chum" in the salt? Where and what are the techniques and flies? Same technique and flies as fresh water?

Do saltwater chum fight as hard as saltwater pinks?

Thanks!

2. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Chums are aggressive fighters and will actively take a fly in the salt. Do a search on this site as a good start. My go-to Chum fly is an Emerald Green Flashabou Comet. I tie the fly in size 4 or 6. Other colors will work as well. It is good to have an option to the chartreuse that they will see so often. I fish the Chums on Hood Canal and other well known Puget Sound beaches starting in late October and well into November. In the estuaries, you will be able to spot schools of fish moving up and down the beach. Cast your fly to the far edges of the school and do a reasonably paced strip and you will connect. Be sure that you have a strong rod and good drag. There will be fish in the high teens and they will put your gear to the test. It is not uncommon to see people carrying their broken rods back to the beach. I am loving the Pink run now and am excited for the Coho to start showing in numbers. The Chum run is a great finish to the salt water Salmon season. Good luck, Steve

3. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Great info, thankyou.

PS, sorry for the newbie questions but when do the Cohos start coming in numbers?

thanks again

4. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    Harder! they're tough in rivers.....imagine how tough they can be in the brine!

5. wet line

wet line New Member

If a soft mouthed pink fought like a Chum you would never land one. Chums have all the tricks, death rolls, bulldogging, long deep runs and aerial displays not to mention charging you. Leave the little sticks at home and hope a big boy doesn't break your 8 wt.

Silvers start to show up in numbers in the Sound anywhere from a week to two weeks after the first good September rains which is generally around Labor Day. Traditiononally the Straits are spectacular for big Silvers the latter part of September. The rains towards the end of September will bring the Silvers into the rivers. Ofcourse this is pretty generalized as there is a lot of variation in some of the river systems. The Satsop fish come in late, like November and the Puyallup every third year gets some that come into the river in early September.

Dave

6. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    "If a soft mouthed pink fought like a Chum you would never land one. "

That is quite an endorsement. Last week I hooked 20+ pinks in one morning and only managed to land 3. Got it handed to me by those tough little 5lb silver bullets. And I was using both my 8wt and my 6wt. (the occassional seal chasing the salmon all over the place while I tried my best to real it in really made things interesting...)

I'll have to force myself to compare these with some chrome chum. So far, i've never had the pleasure of fighting a true chrome chum. I've caught them in the salt, but too close to terminal zones and they were already tiger striped. They were strong brutes to be sure - but not quite as acrobatic as the chrome silvers and pinks i've caught.

7. marcopolo

marcopolo Member

A 100lbs baby seal will give your 8wt a good challange too.
    I got myself one at Lincoln Park last night on my 8wt. He seems all right since I saw him again this morning chasing fish.

8. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:
    i had a big sea Lion on the end of my rod.... pattern that seems to work is hook a nice humpy that fights good..and then the sea lions..or seals just nail it... almost took all my line off... luckily it broke off at the leader!

9. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Saltwater Chums are not usually "chrome" they tend to spawn lower in rivers and creeks and thus change colors quite a bit sooner then other salmon (as soon as they enter the estuary). That doesen't mean they don't fight well. If you caught one in the salt that was "chrome" that's a pretty rare feat.

10. wet line

wet line New Member

ibn,
    you certinly won't catch a chrome Puyallup fish around Browns Point. However you can certainly catch chrome Nisqually fish further north of Browns Point providing you know when to expect them to come through.

Dave

11. coonrad

coonrad New Member

Media:
    I have pulled some chums out of a peninsula stream that were so bright I thought they were silvers.

12. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Absolutely chrome-bright chum salmon in my experience over the past thirty years of chasing salmon in the salt are caught well out near the Continental Shelf along Langara Island and the northwest side of Graham Island in the Queen Charlottes. A truly mint chum salmon is pictured in "Tube Flies" (M. Mandell and L. Johnson). These are chum that are still feeding voraciously (well short of getting the spawning urge) and will take both bucktails like the Captain Skippy, Sea Habit, Mrs. Nelson or small Handlebars, Wizzards and the like. They are incredibly fast, strong, handsome fish when they come onto the Continental Shelf for the first time since heading north as young'ns.
    The cost of fishing them at these outlying holsteries is not insignificant.

Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

13. Bradly640

Bradly640 New Member

Media:
    I was under the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that Chums in the salt don't come in the shallows as far as other Salmon but stay in the deeper waterways. Your best bet is to get out on a boat as beach fishing may not be the best for salt Chums. A weighted chartreuse bait fish fly like a Clouser is your best bet.