Salt water rod

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Hooker, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

Hey guys. I am trying to get into the salt scene and i have been looking into getting a new rod.
    I was reccomended a 6wt RS4 but want to hear what other models people like out there. I see there is a big TFO following on here, but i am not particularly fond of their rods.
    Any suggestions?

2. herl

herl Member

I think the ideal sound rod is a fast 9.5' 6wt with a fighting butt. You can get away with almost any 5/6/7 wt though. What's your price range?

I don't know how much the RS4 is but Redington makes a 9.5' 6wt in the CPS series that would be an outstanding sound rod... $299 I think.

If you don't like the TFO pro or TiCr series, you may be surprised by the TiCrX - it is much different, I think much better- I like the 6wt a lot. I hear their new one, the Axiom is supposed to be great too but haven't cast it. The TFO Teeny rods are also supposed to be nice..??

3. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

I have a TFO axiom 6wt and I love it. I know you don't love TFO, but the axiom and Ticr-x are great for the salt and worth the time to go cast.

Echo has a couple good ones with the same warranty as TFO

4. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

TiCr X has my vote. Cast one, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Redington makes some good rods, too.
    -Ethan

5. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

i dont like the TFOs either. I think they are a POS.
    I would look at the CPS from redington. And depending on how much you want to spend, a Fli, VT2, Xi2 or Z-Axis from Sage.
    I look for a rod with good sensitivity and back bone. Personally I fish a Sage Xi2 690-4. It handles everything imaginable on the beaches.
    as long as you wash your rod off with fresh water every time it doesnt really matter what you go with component wise but corrosion resistanant materials are always good.

6. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

7. martyg

martyg Active Member

A lot will depend of your casting style. If you haven't been in salt a lot your double haul may not be well developed.

When I guide I have a variety of rods, in a variety of flex patterns, for people of various ability levels. If you go with a really fast rod and a shooting head, you may be disappointed until you get your technique dialed.

For my own preferences, I just think that Scott's salt water rod cannot be beat. The six weight feels like a light trout rod, until you throw with it or have a big fish on. I also keep an Orvis T3 in the boat for people who can cast reasonably well, but are not quite double hauling. My perfect arrow is the Scott rod and RIO Outbound line.

I've owned a variety of TFOs in 6, 7, 8 & 9 and have fished them for a variety of species, on a variety of continents. The lower weights always felt dead to me. They felt better as I got into the 9 weight.

8. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

Thanks for the feed back guys. any other opinions are always welcome.

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

I would try to stick with the aliminum reel seats as some rods with wood seats will warp/deform/spoil due to lack of care and the elements.

10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I use a 9' 6" Redington CPS 6wt as my main PS beach rod. I like the rod and it fits my casting style. Casts well in windy conditions but isn't overkill for coho or cutts.
    I own and fish numerous TFO sticks and like them also.
    Find a rod that fits your casting style and budget and you'll be set.
    Good Luck.

11. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

iagree

You didn't mention what you would be targeting. I'd ad 8wt to that list if you are targeting adult pinks, chums, and silvers.

Also, will you be fishing from beach or standing in boat?

Generally, you'll want a rod designed for distance and handling a good distance line (rio outbound, airflo 40+ for examples).

I tend to fish 80% or more in the fresh depending on time of year -so I just use my fresh water gear in the salt and it works fine.

I just keep a few extra medalists loaded with my beach fishing lines.

My 8wt pflueger rod fishes just fine for me and has landed many many fish for me (medailst reel with typical WF floating line - see my avator...). It is flexible enough that cutties are still fun, but strong enough to handle huge chums when needed.

My 6wt TICR is also a fun beach rod that I use year round. My medailst reel on it is loaded with the intermediate 40+. For typcical beach fishing, i'd stick with a full floater or intermediate (I always have 2 rods - one floater, one intermediate).

When targeting resident silvers and cutties, I'll go down to a 5 and sometimes a 4wt - especially if fishing dries (like a royal wolff for cutties).

12. My 2 cents are probably worth that, 2 cents. I have an ECHO 9' 9 wt with intermediate line. The chum salmon I targeted last year gave me all I wanted on a fly rod. I'm sure some of the better fisherman will recommend a lighter wt rod.

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

8 or 9 weight is a good weight for Chum.

14. bum'n4trout

bum'n4trout fish more work less

I myself am pretty new to beach fishing. The set up I have in my opinion is good for beginners and will only work better as your skills get better. Wont break the bank to bad either. My rod is a Scott A2906/4. The reel is a Ross CLA 2 with a spare spool. Bolth spools are loaded up with Rio Outbound one in intermediate the other is floating. I use Airflo's 10ft poly leader with 3x tippet. This system has worked out very well for me. The A2 is a med/fast all water rod and matched well to the Outbound line. If you haven't cast the Outbound before it will take some getting used too. Once you get the hang of it this line kicks ass!! The CLA is a fully machined and anodised (what you want for the salt) reel with a smooth drag. Ross makes rock solid reels! Well that's my two cent's. Work on your double hull and good luck.:beer2:

15. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

I can cast well. I am leaning towards a Xi2 so that it can be used as a bonefish rod on the flats too.
    I would be getting a rod that could serve as a multi-purpose rod. Covering as many possible conditions and species on the local water. sounds like a 6wt is the right line.
    Thanks guys

16. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

As long as there is no chum on the end of that 6 :eek:

17. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

i've caught chum on my 6. I don't target them on it but it is possible.
    I would say the 6wt Xi2 is about as good an all around rod as you could find. nice choice.

18. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

FWIW: An 8' 6wt fiberglass was the rod I caught my first chum on. I learned then what "undergunned" was, and by the next weekend, I had a 9' 8wt 'glass rod. Same reel,(a 1495 Medalist clone) just heavier rod and line. Still a good rod for $16.00, and it will really protect a marginal leader. Going on 30 years for those rod/reel combos.

19. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Consider the St. Croix - Legend Ultra 6wt, 4-piece Salt Rod
    Fighting but, aluminum seat and oversized guides - I like mine

20. Porter

Porter Active Member

awesome rod :thumb: