Salt Water Sea Run Dry Flies

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by kelvin, Feb 14, 2012.

1. At our rescent swap Larry got me thinking about top water -dry fly patterns for sea runs that are not poppers or sliders

here are some ideas I came up with

any body else got any takes on this theme??

Larry think this would make a great swap
    View attachment 48381

2. kelvin, you are in hyper warp tying speed. I am jealous as I have a lot going on. Keep the great ideas coming. I am with you on the swap idea.

3. I've seen a few neat-looking surface flies like the Paulson's Titanic Caddis or the Titanic Cutt Slider that use foam shaped like a boat hull to create a V-wake behind the fly on the retreive. I have some foam lying around that I could probably cut up to try it out.

4. Hyper warp indeed but good idea Kelvin, I developed a skating sandlance tube that has produced well the last couple of years.

5. Kelvin, you know I'm in if we do this! My guess is guys might need a rest from the historic Kelvin and Steve Historic Sea Run Cutthroat Swap, but, maybe not. I ran this by my fishing pal Mark, and he didn't seem too interested, but I'm not sure why, since long ago when I brought him to a beach, he cast a Gurgler, twitched it twice, and a huge cutthroat took it like a dry fly with a head and tail rise. He landed the cutthroat, the biggest I have ever seen, at what we estimated at 24 inches! I can't forget that! I have taken a number of sea run cutthroat on dries, but haven't taken the time to concentrate on that more often. But, this is the year I will make more of an effort. I may be fishing those high tides more often under and around the brush and blowdowns! This was my first saltwater wasp attempt with a piece of foam:

6. I have seen them done with spun dear hair and then shaved flat with a razor blade on the bottom then super glued to make them like little boats so they skate

7. hyper warp?
    I have already field tested them Sunday Morning

Dale would you be willing to post a picture?

8. Kelvin:

Thanks for posting that comment. It has gotten my attention as I enjoy fishing top water patterns. I have a couple of idea on how to tie a floating articulated tube pile worm pattern.
    I am going to be gone for a couple of weeks so I will let you know later in March if anything looks promising.

Roger

9. Roger, release the Kraken! As many of you know Roger has a tendency to fish topwater patterns. I am concerned that he is going to lose a lot of sleep until he executes his new floating articulated tube pile worm pattern. I for one, am looking forward to testing the prototype.

10. Since I caught a 19" native freshwater cutthroat last year, with a garter snake deep in it's throat, I have been wondering about some sort of surface snake pattern.... oh gees, I have been trying to imagine the fish taking that snake off the surface and, on second thought, when in the hell would you set the hook???!

11. kelvin and Steve:

Here is what I have come up with so far. I am using hollow body Larva Lace for the body and palmer some hackle over the body. The section shown in the picture is about 1/2 inches in length. Used small HMH tube material and melted both ends of tube so that the materials will not slide off. The length of the pattern can be varied by adding as many sections as you want. There will be an end section with artic fox as the tail and a hook holder.

Basically the pattern is the same as the surface articulated tube pile worm pattern which I already use. The different is that I don't fill the hollow tube with olive oil. The air inside the tube gives the pattern floatation along with the hackle. It seems to float just about right when put in a bowl of water. I am hopeful that it will have the proper floatation when used out on Puget Sound.

Roger

P.S. Steve: I am already on it! Now that I know that the prototype looks good I won't have to lose any sleep tonight thinking about it;). You knew that I would be all over a new top water pattern:).

12. Awesome ideas Kelvin and Roger.

You guys are blowing my mind!

I'm in too if another swap is decided.

13. Steve:

I could not go to bed without coming up with a prototype tonight! I put a small foam head on it but would rather not use the foam head if it floats okay. I hope to try it out in the next day or so on a Puget Sound beach that presently is holding some nice sized sea-run cutthroat in shallow water where there are normally quite a few pile worms. Hopefully the pattern will skate or float nicely and the fish will like it.

Roger

14. just encase you haven't come across this yet. . .

15. Roger, I cannot wait to get a report on the Kraken. Nice work.

16. Roger I have seen them take those while squid jigging
    they swim right on the surface
    about 3 inches long
    Bright orange
    I ties one like that on a tube with the hackle sticking out of either side of 2 foam sheets ribbed with mono or small wire

View attachment 48397

17. Especially in view of the very successful historic fly swap it is hard to have any discussion on "salty" dry flies for sea-run coastal cutthroat without beginning with Steve Raymond's Cutthroat Candy. The cutthroat candy has been the standard of a successful dry for Puget Sound for nearly 4 decades.

While probably blasphemy to some of us old timers it would be pretty straight forward to modernize the Cutthroat Candy with a series of flies incorporating various colored foam bodies to increase floatation. The same could be done with old time freshwater/steelhead standards such as Haig-Brown's steelhead bee and the whole Wulff series (I'm especially fond of the Grey Wullf). The whole world of steelhead skaters and wakers should provide virtually endless list examples for inspiration of potential "salty" dries.

Let the creative juices flow!
    Curt

18. I think tying with spun hair is a better Idea

19. I agree - I love spun deer hair.

I use spun deer hair heads in many of my flies and I really like dry fly bodies of tightly compacted and trimmed spun deer hair. Most of my "hoppers" have clipped spun deer hair bodies. That said I knew many tiers are not as much of a fan in spinning deer and I was merely suggesting that with today's options in materials there are possibilities to incorporate foam in the tie of flies that are going to fished with movement.

tight lines
    curt

20. Glad to see this thread going since I have been working on a spun deer head surface pattern for a while now, but can't seem to get it right. I'll keep working on it now. I've got new ideas, thanks guys.