Salt Water Sea Run Dry Flies

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by kelvin, Feb 14, 2012.

1. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +234 / 0
    Steve love to see what you have come up with
  2. Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    You guys are still in hyper warp speed I step away from the site for a day and this thread has gone wild.
    Kelvin here are some versions of the Skating Tube Flatwing Sandlance (note the bill) along with some subsurface flat wings that I was supposed to tie at our last swap.
    Roger, great idea for the Kraken floating worm.
  3. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +206 / 3
    Kelvin, I have nothing to show for my efforts, all the attempts were ripped apart after spinning deer hair drove me to insanity. It's all in my head, which is where the fly is too, so I'm gonna work on it again until I get it right. My original drive was to tie a skater with only naturals. I've been looking more and more at steelhead skaters.

Dale, is that a foam base wrapped on the main tube body on the lipped fly? very interesting?
  4. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    those are beautiful
    what makes them float?
  5. Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Arlington, WA
    Kelvin, my early versions were tied on a larger tube with a ¼”w x 1/8” foam strip tied in on top of the tube they worked well but I felt they were a little to bulky in the body.
    Several years ago while attending the Ellensburg Fly Fishing Fair I ran across a guy who had tied up some steelhead skating tubes in this fashion. The light came on instantly, when I got home the rest was history. With these tide on a micro tube (bill) the foam is no longer necessary.
    I have playing with another version that is adjustable from skating to subsurface by rotating the tube bill, still in work on this one.
  6. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    where do you get the bills?
    or do you make them?

Great looking pattern!
  7. Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Arlington, WA
    Kelvin,
    I heat up a pair of flat nose pliers (no teeth) with a lighter, simply squeeze and bend at the desired angle (approx. 45degs) then come back with a hot needle and open it up. Some secondary minor trimming of the bill may be required.
    With the adjustable version the bill is a separate entity, you simply heat the front of the tube of the fly until the bill seats snugly this allows you to rotate it at any angle you desire, side to side down or up for skating.
  8. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Dale remarkable!
  9. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +206 / 3
    Thats awesome Dale, so I assume the upturned bill forces the fly to plow through the water on the surface when under tension? That is a great idea!
  10. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    Killer thread! You guys are sounding like the Iluminati of searun cutthroat fly tying.
  11. Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Arlington, WA
    Yes, that is correct Steve. As with another version the bill can be rotated at will for other presentations.
  12. fisherjon Member

Oak Harbor,Washington
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    i was looking at this springs fly tyer magazine and i was going through section on matching the cinder worm hatch for stripe bass if you were to take a few of those patterns tweek them a little they would work really well for cutthroat
  13. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    they work well exactly as tied I have tried them
    no tweeking required