WTB Saltwater 6 wt for SRC, etc

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by mtskibum16, May 20, 2012.

1. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Hey guys. Like the title says I'm looking for a beach rod for SRC, resident silvers, etc. I would like to find something 9-9.5', 6wt, 4 pc with a fighting butt and saltwater components. A few that I'm currently interested in are Redington CPS or RS4, Sage XP 697-4, TFO Axiom, Carbon Ion.....If you have something else that you think would fit my needs let me know. Interested in matching reels and lines too if you have them.

Thanks for looking!

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

697-4 XP......great beach rod but hard to come by.

3. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Check out the TFO TiCRx in the classified. That would be a killer beach rod.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  4. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I saw that rod, but I'm not sure about it in a 6wt based on some user reviews. I've yet to cast one though so I wouldn't say no straight up. For the price maybe I should just give it a go.

5. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Another to consider is the St Croix Legend Ultra 6wt set up for salt, just as you described.

Medium fast, made in USA and reasonable prices.

6. Steve Saville

Suit yourself. I had a 9 wt. that was killer. I gave it to my brother for a Red Fish trip in Louisiana. It did the trick on some nice Red Fish. Needless to say, he didn't give it back.

7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I'm guessing it would be best uplined with like a 7wt Outbound or Airlflo 40+ or something? Hmm...it is tempting. I've just heard they are "different" to cast. I have been plenty happy with my other TFO rods though.

8. Steve Saville

I lined the 9 wt with a 9 wt line and it casted like a bullet. I don't really see a need to up line a rod unless you are not used to casting a fast rod.

9. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

I have a 9'6" Redington CPX in the saltwater 6 weight version I'll move for $200. Its in perfect shape & has the tube & sock. Shoot me a e-mail or pm for my cell

c/22

10. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Thanks but not looking for a CPX. Perfect rod setup though.

11. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Cool.

BTW, when you get yours don't up-line it unless you can try the bigger line 1st. Most of the beach lines are made to shoot just fine as is. I went w/ a 7 weight Airflo 40+ line on my 6 weight & that was a mistake, the rod struggles to shoot that extra weight. Now the 250 grain SA streamer express shoots perfect on my CPX. Dropped back to a 6 Outbound or 40+ & it loads up just dandy too.

c/22

12. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Good advice, thank you!

13. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

I have a Scott X2S 6wt I could sell also. BR