Saltwater 6 wts

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by wolverine, Jun 13, 2008.

1. I thought that since I've acquired 3 switch rods that I wouldn't be buying more 1 handers, but I need/want a new 6. Not interested in high dollar rods as after over 50 yrs of fishing my casting skills are not going to improve enough to justify the incrimental increase in performance that $700 rods provide. Plus my ego doesn't need to be stroked by showing off the latest, greatest high tech rods. I already have TFO Teeney's and Tichr-X's, Redington CPS's, and Echo 2's in other line wts and am happy with their cost/performance values. The rods that I'm looking at are the TFO Axiom 9', The Echo 2 saltwater 9', and the Redington CPS saltwater 9' or 9'-6". I haven't yet been able to lay hands on the Axiom or the Redington. The Echo 2 comes with 2 tips and it casts well with either tip. Depending on line used. Am not certain of the rod weight on the Echo, but the TFO is listed at 5.3 oz and the Redington at 3.6 oz, making the TFO a heavy weight.
    The rod usage will be primarily saltwater used as a salt beach & salt boat rod with a little BC Kamloops trout fishing thrown in. I know that opinions are like **holes everybody has one. But I would appreciate feedback from those who have used these rods.

2. My brother has the 9' 6wt. TFO Axiom. It's a very fast, nice casting rod. I really like it. I haven't used any of the others, though. Personally, I use a 9' 6wt. TFO TiCr-X.
    -Ethan

3. Echo came out with an 'Extreme distance' 10' 6wt this year that would probably be a sweet PS beach rod. No first hand experience though - but I've liked every Echo I've cast. (just checked - it is in their catalog, but not on their website..)

I also think they have an 6wt saltwater Echo 2 that has a 9' and 9.5' tip with two slightly different actions- that would also be a great beach rod, but I may be off on some of the details on that one..

4. The only one i have cast is the Redington CPS. I like that rod a lot for the price. It is a rocket and very capable of handling just about anything in the local salt.
    I;d personally get the 9 foot CPS, put an outbound or similar line on it and go fish.

5. I own an Axiom. The rod can cast as far as you will ever need and loads very quickly. It has a sensitive tip and maintains a lot of backbone for a bigger fish. In my opinion its a very high quality rod for a mid range price. Also, its not heavy. People that complain about a 5 ounce rod need to suck it up . . .

6. I am a big fan of the CPS. i think it is a lot of rod for the money and I fish a 9'6 regularly. I'd probably get a 9 foot next time.
    its a good choice,.

7. Gary,
    I use the Redington 9664S CPS off the beaches. Very nice stick for the money and has enough backbone for those windy days.
    Brian

8. I wouldn't get too hung up on rod weight. All contemporary graphite rods are very light compared to the cane or fiberglass of yesteryear. Find a 6-weight that likes your casting style and get it. It will work fine on the beaches for cutthroat and juvenile resident coho. There are plenty of very nice graphite rods on the market today that are reaonably priced and carry good warranties.
    One important consideration is that your saltwater 6-weight has corrosion resistant hardware and guides. Particularly avoid wood inserts in the reel seat. If you are using a 6-weight rod that was built for freshwater use, be sure to rinse it off completley and dry it before returing it to the sock and case. There are several good 6-weights on the market in a range of prices that are built for saltwater use. I suggest that you make your choice from one of them that is in your price range.
    Good Fishing,
    Les

9. The rods you list are all rods that can very capably perform for you. Stonefish has caught some darn nice salty salmon with his CPS sticks, and there are many others on this forum that make the same claim for different TFO rods.

Cast them all, if possible with the same model line, and pick the one that best fits your casting style. You can't really go wrong with any of the rods you mentioned.

10. I have the same opinion on the CPS rods, super light,fast and a dream to cast. Probably the best sub-300.00 range rods out there for fast rods.

I've had all the TFOs and compared to rods a little more in price, the TFOs including the Axiom are all tanks. I'd spend the extra 50.00 and get the CPS, for all the reasons above. The Ticrx/Axiom aren't bad rods, just heavy compared to the "average" rod.

11. I used to use a 9' 6wt I built on a Cabela's FT blank, one of the older ones, but I eventually broke down, whether because of herd mentality or whatever, and I have a 9' 6wt TFO TiCr, the model with the heavy-duty hardware and fighting butt. I have a TiCrX but I find it a little clubby, useful in a wind though. The TiCr series are really much smoother and have lots of reserve power. I also built a 9'6" 7wt which sounds overgunned, but it's a more forgiving rod and I find all but the smallest fish can give a decent fight with it. Makes Clousers and Miyawakis more manageable to cast, for me.
    I'm just now starting to bring my lighter two handers to the salt, and that might be something to consider too.

12. Just an observation, but I've never really weighed a rod and compared it's weight to what the manufacturer claims it weighs. I think there would be interesting results if someone actually did that . . .

I believe that some of what may make the TFO salty 6's seem more clubby than other salty 6 offerings is that it uses the same size reel seat hardware and fighting butt as does even the 12 weight, so it gives the appearance of being a larger line weight rod. (Heck, even the Orvis T3 salty 6 is listed at 4.25 ounces). The weight of the TFO salty 6's seem to be balance fine with a reel and line on it, and the weight differences between them and other rods are negligible to me (hey, at 205 pounds, to me what's a couple of ounces!??! :) ). If (rod) weight were an issue and I were considering the TFO rods, I'd just get the standard version without the fighting butt.

I've cast the Teeny 6 weight, and that rod cast very nicely. It was't quite as stiff as the TiCr or the TiCrX, but it would still fire a line with authority. Only $200, too!

I recently purchased the Redington RS4 (in a nine weight) recently, and it's a very nice rod for the money. I think it's listed as fast by Redington, but I would think of it between medium fast and fast. It's not offered in a salty 6 format (it doesn't have a fighting butt or a full wells grip), but the hardware appears saltwater safe.

There's so much good stuff out there! To me there really isn't anything that is bad; they're all decent and will perform, some are just better than others and a person needs to figure out what works best for them. :thumb:

13. I've never really done any weighing either, but the thought about relative hardware weights bears some thinking about. I've noted balance is more meaningful than weight when it comes to hours of casting.
    I feel the clubbiness I've observed in the TiCrX, IMHO has to do with a very demanding taper being built with, what's a nonoffensive way to say it?-very conventional materials. Like Lefty says, every rod is a tradeoff.

14. Then the CPS will be on a discount sale? I have not heard of this new CPX other than there CPX conventional gear series. Interesting. And at the same time I have not seen or heard much regarding the SuperSport...Redington's top fly rod line rod. Sage/Redington....something I would seem has to give...right?

15. That was my thought also regarding the CPX. It seems odd Redington would use the same name for both their gear and fly rod models.

Just an FYI for those who fish gear as well as flyfish, the CPX's gear rods are also a good value.

16. I can't imagine anything better than the CPS line for the money. The CPS rods are true fast action rods, not sure on durability though, due to being super light. Curious to test a CPX.

Well then again, never thought anything would be better than the Sage XP, then comes the Z-Axis..

17. Thanks for all the good advice. Since I couldn't find a TFO Axiom to try anywhere local I went with a Redington 6 wt CPS 9'-6" saltwater. I could have ordered it from my local shop but since I just bought 3 reels from them I thought I'd try the internet for a deal. Found one @ $209 vs the regular retail of $299. I'll still probably pick up an Axiom in an 8 wt, if the local dealers ever stock them.

18. Porter, The SuperSport is a great rod. I have a 6wt that I really like and it can bomb some casts out there with a good shooting head. (i have an SA streamer express on it right now) The problem with the supersport is Redingtons reputation in the industry as a lower end company. likely the people that are going to drop $450 on a rod are going to get a name brand. Great rod, just not many people using them because of the thought that a $450 rod and Redington do not go together.

19. Dave,
    Your explaination makes a lot of sense SuperSport. I'll be the first to admit I couldn't stand Redington's products and service prior to them being acquired by Sage. It is a whole different company now.
    You seem well connected with the folks at Sage & Redington. Do you know anything about a possible replace for the CPS as mentioned earlier in this thread?
    Thanks,
    Brian

20. i will make some calls and find out.