Saltwater 9ft vs 9'6'' rod

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Get Some, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Get Some

Get Some Member

Asking the experts... for saltwater fishing, what are the pros and cons or differences between using a 9ft or 9.5 foot rod? thanks!

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Out of a boat, a 9' works fine. If you are fishing off the beach a lot, I think a 9'6" is a better choice.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

A 6 wt 9'6 can also throw a seven weight line, it loads a little quicker for changing directions on the beach

4. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

I agree with Stonefish, I seldom fish from a boat but a 9' is all you need, since changing to a 9'6" 5wt I've notice I hit the beach behind me a little less often and can achieve a bit more distance....The down side is a little more arm fatigue, but thats probably due more to my age than anything else. The extra six inches is worth it, imo.

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

My early season beach rod is a 10' 6 wt. I fish a 9' 8 wt later on when the bigger fish start showing. When I make the switch to the shorter rod, it always takes me a little while to adjust. Having the extra foot is awfully nice for keeping the backcast off the rocks.... Though it does seem to wear me out a litlte quicker during a long day.

6. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

One thing I have noticed, the longer the rod the more likely you will be in the wind on your forward cast. This is more an issue here on the west side of Whidbey than many cutthroat beaches I suppose, but something to consider.

7. Get Some

Get Some Member

Thanks for all the advice, great points! Im looking into a 8wthunt and wasnt sure on the length, as mentioned. Im guessing 50/50 will be wet wading and from boat so i guess the extra length is mosre of a help than hinderance?

8. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

A 9'6" fast action rod is a great choice for beach fishing, both 6wt and 8wt rods. A shorter rod may be helpful when landing fish alone in a boat, but a 9'6" rod will be fine either way. Just be careful not to high stick while landing bigger fish to avoid breakage.

9. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

if you aren't beach fishing where a higher backcast is an advantage, a shorter rod is a huge advantage in every way. keeps your line closer to the water where the wind is less severe, higher line speed, far less fatigue, etc. my favorite saltwater rod is an old 8'8" scott.

10. Get Some

Get Some Member

thanks for all the help and advice. Alot of the places i will be fishing are either large rivers wet wading for hybridss/stripers or beach fishing the coast and back water. i just need something alittle more than my xi2 6wt for the stronger stripers in the river and punching flies into wind at the coast. the 9.5 length keeps coming up, seems like maybe the way to go...