Saltwater leader sizes

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by R-dub, May 20, 2006.

1. R-dub

R-dub New Member

Ive got an #8WT and #5WT and would like to hit the salt soon. Any suggestions as too tapered leaders I could tie up ? I live in Marysville so Ill be headin to Stilly or Skagit tribs. Its real hard to get to the salt in this area,
    any advice in bank access would sure be cool. Sounds like bait fish for flies from other post, again advice always appreciated, Im a river guy.

Thanks R-dub

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

Stilly and Skagit tribs are not the salt. :confused: ...hitting the salt soon but want river bank access :confused: twice! Depends on line you want to use floater or sinker. A little more detail and I'm sure several answers will follow. :)

3. R-dub

R-dub New Member

Bank accessability to Salt fishing, I always carry both floating and sinking, (tribs) mis spoke (estuaries).

4. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Taperred leaders to 2X or 1X is fine. I go to 3X sometimes when fishing small dries. Generally you are running in to fish that will hit your fly regardless.
    Chris

5. R-dub

R-dub New Member

What about taper? when fishing in salt water should I have a heavier butt section, Mid , or doesnt it matter much. I guess ill just go get wet and see how it feels to me. not having a boat id like to find a place around Stanwood
    thats decent and easy to get to. Anyone have any experience with kayak Pt?
    Ive never fished with a fly there. Thanks

6. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Maxima 30, 20, 15, then Rio. That is my normal leader.
    Chris

7. Benn

Benn Member

I used to be a die-hard tier of my own leaders when fishing trout, and I used a similar Maxima recipe as above when I started fishing the salt a few years ago. This will work just fine in an estuary and in the winter and early spring; however, after a couple season of fishing off of beaches in the summer and fall I abandoned this because of the salad issue. I spent so much time cleaning various bits of algae and eelgrass off of each knot after each couple casts I went with commercial tapered leaders joined to the main line with a nail knot. So I would at least buy a couple 7.5’ 2X leaders for your sinking line and 9’ 2X leaders for your floater and keep them in your vest if you decide to hit the salt and there is lots of salad.

8. R-dub

R-dub New Member

Good advice , thanks guys