Saltwater Outbound Shorts $29.95

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by golfman44, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Thanks for the heads up Golfman. Just ordered one. Looks like they got the pictures switched between the tropical and the coldwater versions. Glad to know you got the right one.

2. Sweet! Just picked up some Smith Optics glass lens hella cheap! Woot!

3. Yea they have some INSANE deals.....

Yea I'm pumped to use mine. I have an outbound short floater on my 8wt for steelhead and its the best line I've ever cast, and well worth the $80 it cost. I needed a sinking tip for beaches and couldn't turn down this deal.

4. That makes me pumped to use mine too!

I got a tip from Santa that I may be getting a TFO 6wt for Christmas so I hope that this line finds a good home in a week or so....

5. I am going to post this bit of information for everyone's consideration. I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade, and at $29 it may still be a great buy.

I bought a 2013 WF7F/S1 for the beach early this season and used it on the river as well. After about a dozen trips, the running line started to feel rough around the area where I would tug for my double hauls. I assumed I had stepped on the line in that area. Soon the line coating began to disintegrate in that area leaving gaps in the coating.

While fishing a popular Whidbey Island beach with several fly fishermen present, I mumbled my concern: that while I loved the line, it had started to fail rather quickly. "Darn me for likely stepping on the line." At this time two or three others chimed-in that also had 2013 Outbound Short WFxF/S1 lines. They had also been thinking the exact same thing! Seems unlikely we all stepped on only those particular lines.

Coincidence? 2013 Model being discontinued?

I did some repairs with Knot Sense to complete the season. I LOVE the way the line casts and fishes, but a dozen trips was a rather short lifespan at full price.

6. Sorry that happened to you. How often did you clean your line?

Rio is redoing the vast majority of their lines to add that connect core technology or w/e (the low stretch stuff in the perception line).

7. To bad they don't have any intermediate lines with the 30' clear heads.
    At that price I would have picked up a couple.
    SF

8. golfman44... The line was rinsed, not cleaned, after each saltwater trip. Same routine as all my other beach lines.

9. Rio replaced a friends line when his started breaking down mid season. No questions, just mailed him another.

Gregg Lundgren likes this.
  10. I wonder if I could get them to mail me a 2014 as a replacement?;)

11. If only I needed more Outbounds...I barely use the ones I have. great deal though

so did I...didn't really need them, but those polarchromic copper Hideouts were just too tempting to pass up.

12. Do you guys just attach 4ft or so of tippet to the end of your intermediate/hover lines? Or do you use a tapered/poly leader?

13. Same thing happened to Jason Rolfe this season too...

14. Golfman, this is the first intermediate line that I will fish so I'm interested in the answer here. What do you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Never found a need for a poly leader in the salt, then again I fish an intermediate with a clear head 95% of the time.
    6-7' of straight mono gets it done for me.
    SF

16. So you just run your 10lb or whatever test off the end and thats it? Nice and simple

17. Yep,
    Maxima Ultragreen. Perfection loop on the line end, non slip loop knot on the business end. Fast and simple.

Brendan likes this.
  18. Awesome thanks. Nice and cheap too! 225yd spools of ultragreen are just 10 bucks

19. Gman,
    Personally I like 12 lb, but mainly from July on when fishing the sound.
    It helps turn over larger flies a bit better then 10 does in my opinion.
    SF