Saltwater Reel For Sea-run Cutthroat

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alex MacDonald, Mar 17, 2012.

1. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +704 / 1
    Some great deals to be had on E-bay. I think the Velocity heritage or new Hard-lox are one of the best bangs for the buck. Lamson will service or replace just about any reel sent to them w/o much fuss. I've been using the older V2 and V3 for fresh and salt and really like them. They are designed for use in saltwater, but I still flush the beejesus out of them after use.
  2. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    I use to get nervous fishing the salt without a reel
    that had an awsome drag and plenty of backing.
    You never know when you will hook something much much
    bigger than expected as you watch all your line and backing
    head out to sea. Go beefy and don't worry.

Dave
  3. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Post 98 Gunnison 3
  4. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    I have a Medalist 1594, and it works great, although half the paint is worn off from scraping it on the rocks, and also maybe from "creeping blistering by stealth corrosion due to laxness of rinsing dilligence."
  5. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    I go with Stonefish except my Gunnisons are Pre '94 and pre '98 models. Bulletproof and saltwater safe.
  6. Bob Young Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I have fished for years with Phlueger Medalists, 1495 or 1495 1/2. I don't think drag system is very important as long at it doesn't overspin and backlash. I rarely hook a fish in the sound that requires putting it "on the reel". Stripping is faster and allows more flexibility.
  7. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    don't over look the reels for L.L Bean.
    have 2 and they are nice. for the money.
  8. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I would consider an "arm and a leg" would be something under 200.00. If I were to do it all over again, I would go with the Lamson Guru, machined aluminum and a SEALED drag. I've used Konics for the last 6 years with zero problems with the drag, but its starting to rust between the spool frame and reel seat where the two screws are. I've just rinsed and dunked my reels in warm tap water for 20 minutes and sure this kept the reels from rusting big time due to the metal is only made out of die cast aluminum. The Guru metal is higher resistant to salt. If you only fish once or twice a month get the Konic, if more get the Guru.

have fun!
  9. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +314 / 1
    +1, Pfluegers work fine. Spend your money on line, lessons & libations. Not necessarily in that order.
    OTOH, spendy reels are nice too. What ever blows your skirt up.
    bigdood likes this.
  10. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Inherited this reel from a guy who used to work for me; he died last year.
    Started fishing it this summer. I'll probably use it the rest of my life just to honor him.
    But: not a bad reel, huh?? :)
    photo (63).JPG