Saltwater waders, what works?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Adrian, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Adrian Member

Kingston, WA
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    Roll call!!!

Not so happy with my current top shelf waders. On my 3rd pair in one year, they keep failing in the same spot. I fish the salt 99% of the time. I paid way too much money for these waders to fail like they have. Forget the discussion of my ability to wash them after every use, I am methodical. I

So, instead of focusing on waders that don't work...let's focus on ones that do. Tell me, what brand and model lasts in the salt?
  2. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +467 / 0
    I've not found the salt to be a problem with a good rinsing after and it sounds like you do that.... I don't think the salt has
    anymore affect on them then fresh water, or I've not seen any and I fish alot. Had good luck with Dan Bailey's, and now Redington sonic pro's, I've had them since last spring and they don't leak yet and they are in the salt on average two or three day's a week, weather permitting.....
  3. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,169 / 1
    Redington Sonic Pros have worked well for me.
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  4. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +50 / 0
  5. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +289 / 1
    I bought the cheapest bootfoot waders cabelas sells. They are coated nylon so I sweat a bit but I've used them three seasons, regularly and they are still going. I rinse them after use and allow them to dry. They aren't pretty but who cares?
  6. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Redington Sonics+1
  7. Bonefish Jack Strictly FF

Kent WA
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Like others have said, saltwater should not have any different effect on waders than freshwater. Something else is going on that causes your failures ...
  8. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +609 / 0
    I don't even rinse my waders just hang dry them and the still work great after 2 seasons. I have orvis' cheapest model.
  9. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    While beach fishing we tend to walk a lot, so I believe that proper fit in the legs is key to having your waders last. In the past had pairs of Orvis and Patagonia waders that had really baggy legs and so they would rub causing points of wear that would leak. This wasn't an issue of improper sizing, but rather how the legs were cut. Another issue is when the seams of the legs are tailored like regular pants, on the sides of the legs. When the seams rub, this causes many leaks. Major manufacturers like Simms and Orvis now have their seams on the front and back of the legs.
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  10. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +143 / 0
    Are you wearing jeans with your waders? That'll poke holes in em quick.
  11. Adrian Member

Kingston, WA
    Cotton pants, no rivets. I am curious about what brands and models, based on user experiences seem to hold up best in the salt.
  12. ptphisher Member

Bremerton, Washington
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I bought the cheapest that cabelas sells,I never rinse them and I store them in a wadded up ball when not wearing them and the hae never failed me, never! Of course they are not the coolest or most fashionable out therer and you still have to pull them down to go pee, but I did not pay 300+ either. Just wear 2-3 layers under and you will be dry and warm.
  13. Jim Lawrence New Member

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I went throught many pairs of waders before I also discovered those cabelas waders. I'm on my fifth year with no issues. I find that I am warmer in them than neoprenes because the water stays away from my skin better. I can layer as much as needed but even on the coldest days i've only needed long johns. Saves the summer waders for summer.
  14. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    simms freestones 4 years running now in salt 99% of the time with zero issues. bought for 200.00 back then, now they are 250.00 at cabelas. have to consider how many times you fish a month too. I fished roughly 3-4 times a month so doing pretty well, no rinsing either, just take em' off and hang em' from a bike hook.
  15. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +260 / 0

Same here, solid waders have survived several grim tumbles onto barnacle studded cobbles.
  16. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +169 / 0
    For me, SIMMS. All I've ever owned. Not saying that they haven't sprung leaks, but all simple aqua seal or UV Knot sense fixes. They are tough, durable waders.

Edit: At first I owned Simms Blackfoot stocking foot waders, now I have G3's bought used.
  17. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +255 / 2
    pair of el cheapo pant waders from LL bean, I rarely wade above knee deep in the salt.
  18. Adrian Member

Kingston, WA
    Thanks for the input. Looks like Simms or Redington. The warranty from Simms may tip the scales. I live in Kingston, only 10 minutes from the Sage factory so it would seem the Redingtons would be a no brainer. However I've learned on good authority Redington is moving their distribution facility to Salt Lake City. I'll have to mail the waders in no matter what. Thanks again for the input!
    CharleyKehwa likes this.
  19. Adrian Member

Kingston, WA
    My 3rd set of Rio Gallegos waders from Patagonia have failed in the same spot. They last for about 4 months. I am not the only one to experience this failure at the same spot. I will give Patagonia a tremendous amount of credit, they've replaced my waders without question or hassle. When they did not have my size on the first failure, they upgraded me to the zipper front at no charge. Again, a tremendous amount of credit to Patagonia for standing behind their product...they just need some work.

The 2014 models are moving to stitchless seams, as found in Orvis and Redington. Hopefully they get things figured out. The fishing division is the baby of Yvon Chouinard and he really wants people to be happy. I am thoroughly impressed with the customer service...I just want something that works.
  20. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +371 / 0

Where do they fail?