Saltwater waders, what works?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Adrian, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

Mid shin

2. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

Like clockwork

3. cutthroat kid

cutthroat kid cut throat kid

Heard a few good tips on a outdoor program on the radio. 1 wear an extra set of neoprene booties slip over the booties on your waders. Gravel and sand have tendency to get in the boot and rub up against neoprene booty.
    Buy waders with welded seams. Don't sit on rocks on the beach with lots of barnacles.
    Wash your waders off every so often. Salt can break down waders just as well as boots. Wear waders that are loose fiting so that they don't bind when you kneel down, so that they don't rub when you walk

Adrian likes this.
  4. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:

Just curious, is there stitching there? Or a seam?

At first I wanted to go with Reddington (this year), but heard too many leaky tales, even from relatives of people who work at the Sage shop on BI. Sure, a simple turn around and you're good to go but I don't want the hassle. Seems like some possible QA issues. As I've stated before my Simms have leaked too but not right out of the box but definitely after heavy brush/bush whacking (probably some thorny ones) and various rock/gravel slides (back in CO) down to some honey holes. I don't mind wear and tear, I'll fix that but manufacturers defect for that kinda cash bums me out - for that loot QA needs to be thorough IMHO. I bust my rear for a buck if anything FF related goes for near or half a G-stack it better be solid.

5. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

I am certain the failure is where the neoprene meets the waders. Again, Patagonia will move to a sonicly welded seam for Spring 2014. Only time and half a G stack will tell!

6. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    no doubt

7. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red I miss Joe Strummer

2nd pair of Sonic Pros. The first pair developed some holes that Sage was unable to fix after several attempts so they gave me a new pair and let me keep the old ones which I relined the interior crotch and rear sections with tent repair material from craft store. They no longer leak and are just as comfortable as new...no binding. You can't tell from exterior the repair work.

8. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    "winning"

9. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

I use cheap $89 stocking foot Caddis waders I buy on EBay. I rise after every use and get a solid two years use out of every pair before I get a leak, usually on the seam on the inner thigh. I aqua seal the leak and then use them as spares for friends who visit and want to go fishing.

10. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

Wondering how much stress you place on the joint while pulling them on (not to say that the waders can't be designed better)? Excessive stretch will cause any stiching to come loose over time so moving to a different brand of waders might not help solve your problem.

11. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    But they are fishing waders, not ballet tights, one shouldn't have to "baby them". Just sayin'.

Anyhow, there is that plastic bag "trick", for easy on, easy off. Pull a plastic grocery bag over each foot and slide in the waders. Also makes taking them off easy. Breathability is none, but that's not much different from the normal situation since neoprene is not breathable. ;)

12. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

The waders are the problem, I use the bottom of the gravel guard as my leverage point.

13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Go Simms or wade wet... just saying. G3's are the bomb and they have awesome customer service. Whatever you get (though anything but Simm's would be a mistake...just saying :)), take a few minutes and rinse them really well after use.

Alexander likes this.
  14. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
  15. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

Nice call!

16. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

+100 for Simms. 3 years and still going. i have the zipper style. very nice, and when ya gotta pee right now its a must.
    use mine for rivers, lakes (float tube) and salt. always rinse everything after salt fishing. I have family that works on boats in the saltwater. sooner or later the saltwater will break things down.

17. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Media:
    $89 Cabelas brown neoprene boot waders. I've used them 3 seasons and rinse them faithfully. No leaks yet.

18. Walt K

Walt K Searcher

Yup. And I don't even bother to rinse them.

19. Michael v.d.Bogert

Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Just to give this thread some international flair: Vision Extreme now replaced by Ikon but never one issue.

20. Flyfisher007

Flyfisher007 New Member

I like the cheap LL Bean's. Lifetime warranty so if they leak just take them back and get a new pair.