Same old, same old report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

I went out fishing today at the "same old" locations for the "same old" resident coho. I used the "same old" clouser minnow pattern. I kept two fish but didn't take any pictures of a "same old" resident coho liimit. What can I say:D ?

P.S. Wadin' boot inspired me to use a new style of titles and content for posts;) . It will now be easier to post fishing reports since fewer words will be needed.

Roger

2. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

NO! It's like the magic is gone....Did Old Man Jim hijack your computer...Bring back the tips and techniques....mea culpa, mea MAXIMA culpa

3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

"Same old", "same old"....? How boring is that?!!!! :eek:

4. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

What have you done!! This will never last... I bet Roger has a separate report typed up and saved on his computer. He's losing sleep right now, tossing and turning because he didn't explain the "killer" side to side action a sequin at a "45 degree angle" gives his tube clouser!

Roger Stephens likes this.
  5. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

AARRGGHH! I was thinking the same too! Roger you can't do that to us!

It's like a pusher holding back on his junkies!

6. Roger Stephens

No a virus got into my computer/brain;)! It is all cleaned up now. The magic will be back with a good post after the Holidays to make up for the "same old" post.

Roger

7. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Thank goodness, you had us all worried!

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Boot is to blame for this vanilla blandness from Roger. Shame on Boot.

wadin' boot likes this.
  9. Robbi K

Robbi K New Member

Roger, I went out today during the early afternoon to one of those spots. Thought I might see you, but you were else where. It was calm, calm before the storm calm. Hooked up a few fish and then the wind came up. It was blowing about 10 to 15, just what NOAA had predicted. Then the storm after the calm slammed me. I've never had my fly line pulled out of the water by the wind before. The gust must have been 30 to 35 mph. Yikes. Glad that you were in another spot. Three footers going home. Short and steep. I don't recall NOAA missing a call that badly for a long time.
    Really hated to leave all of those fish, but nice to see and catch them. I don't remember catching as many fish for at least four years, and I don't think I've seen fish this big in December, ever. Hope it keeps up.

10. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Hey Robbi, nice to see you posting a report here. It means a lot for you and Roger to say the rezzie fishing hasn't been this good for at least 4 years! I remember how red hot it was in MA-13 in 2007 and early 2008 (fishing from the beach or a boat) Have you been picking up any decent sized black mouth along with the silvers down there?

Be safe on the water,

Tim

11. Roger Stephens

Robbi:

I was going to fish the ebb tide yesterday afternoon at the "spot" where you probably were but the wind scared me off. The resident coho sure are nice sized there and make up for the poor fishing for the last 4 years like you said.

Hope that your Duroboat gave you a relatively safe ride home. However, I'll bet that you might have wished that you still had your C Dory boat. I know that I would have been in deep trouble in my 15 ft. smokercraft with that kind of wind and waves.

Always look forward to see you on the water. Plus, you saved me some grief when I got a nasty cut on a finger while bleeding a pink salmon in 2011. This Aug. it will be nice to get after pink salmon near where you keep your boat.

Probably will see you at the "spot" over the next couple of months if the resident coho stay there.

Roger

12. Robbi K

Robbi K New Member

Roger, I sold the Duroboat, and bought a 16 foot C-dory , so I was safe, just uncomfortable. Tomorrow the weather report looks good. Maybe I will be out.
    I have only caught a few small blackmouth, but haven't really gone out early to target larger fish. I have set up a type 7 sinking line on a mono running line to get some depth. I think I like the resident silver fishing better, but would rather catch blackmouth. I'm thinking New Year's Eve night fishing from the beach would be fun, weather permitting. Had a blast doing that a few years ago.

Robbi

13. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Robbi, I remember that New Years Eve. Epic fishing with the fireworks and bagpipes. I will be in the Bay Area celebrating the New Year or I would be psyched to do that again. Looking forward to getting after it in January. Hope to see you on the water.
    Happy New Year, Steve

14. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Roger - Do you have a recommendation on the clouser size? I recall from your searun cutthroat presentation that you varied the length of your candlefish pattern with the season so I assume you're going the same for coho? Thanks

15. Roger Stephens

Most of the clouser minnows which I tie are about 3 to 3 1/2 inches long since I use artic fox tail for the body. The maximum length with that material is about 3 1/2 inches. In late summer I use extra select craft fur for the body so that I can tie the pattern 4 to 4 1/2 inches long. In spring I will tie clouser minnows 1 1/2 to 2 inches using artic fox tail when the chum fry are available to sea-run cutthroat. Hope that helps you. PM me if you have any questions.

Roger

16. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Thanks Roger. I've got a box full of 3-4" clousers that I use out a Neah, but haven't used them much for resident Coho. I did well fishing a spider on my last trip out for resident Coho back in November and have done well with shrimp and krill patterns too.