Same Shit, Different Day

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ed Call, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Great morning out with Kerfwappie. No fish for us. Saw a familiar dynamic duo in a small craft near our location land a pinkie. Had a couple of follows, a couple of short strikes and a swirl here and there. Brief outing but good fishing. Eventually I'll get into some fish. Maybe tomorrow morning, eh Rob?

2. Trevor Thorp

Trevor Thorp Happy to be home in the NW

Media:
    Hit Lincoln Park yesterday around 5:30 in the afternoon. Counted 34 gear fishermen lined up for a quarter mile. Got set up and stripped out some line. Made the first cast while sort of daydreaming, not really thinking about catching anything yet. First strip and I get a strike. As quickly as it came it was gone. Had another about 15 minutes later, thought I set the hook well enough... LDR after a few head shakes. Then nothing for the rest of the evening. The gear guys were doing well up and down the beach.

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Organic Flax Seed Oil and Flax Seed Meal are very rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids with the added benefit of no pesticides, fungicides, mercury, mirex, PCB etc.....Cant say that for Salmon of any kind.

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Keep at it Ed and your line will come tight......

5. Ed Call

Media:
    Bob, that flax seed stuff sounds damn tasty, great point thought. I'll try to keep my cool and let the catching happen if it happens.

Thanks Stone, I'll keep at it, regardless of the outcome. Eventually I'll find a dumb one!

6. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Perhaps the 3Es need to go out together and combine all our no-fish karma, maybe that will work.

7. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Trust me you don't have to be an E to get skunked. This M has his fair share of fishless days.

-m

8. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Similar story for me today, but it was my first shot at the beaches so I can't expect too much. Fished a beach a friend told me about for about 4 hours today. Don't know much about tides, and ideal conditions, so who knows if it was the best time to be fishing, but I had fun. Hooked what looked like one small humpy, saw two guys in a boat clean a fish or two, and that was about it. Ran into a fellow WFFer who told me I was on the same beach as the Kitsap outing earlier in the week. Will be back out in the AM to chase em around again.

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Fished my third morning of my three day weekend with my third fly fishing friend. Again, great to get out with another great guy. Looked fishy as hell, oh so fishy, I was so sure that we'd be in them thick as thieves. One gear guy hooked up to a very nice fish, a large coho or small king. He looked like a rubber monkey doing his business to a football for a while, then settled down. He finally got that fish in from its nearly 100 yard run just to high stick it while standing right at the water's edge. That upright rod and vertical line position was not working to hold that fish and pop, off it came. It was right at his feet, splashed him in the face then was gone. It was exciting then gone.

Oh, yes, third skunking in as many days. Great day to be alive, out and fishing. Somewhate surprised that a guy like me has not happened to cross paths with a single stupid fish that will hit my offering. Maybe next weekend.

10. atdwash

atdwash New Member

South. Go south. We had another big pink day today and I would say that half of our fish were in easy reach of the beach. And we actually picked up one coho too. So if you don't mind pinks--go south.

11. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

On the subject of South and Pinks, is there a place to toss in a pontoon at Dash Point or the state park? I'm riding the same train as Ed (Mumbles) and I need to get the salmon skunk off....

12. atdwash

atdwash New Member

I don't know about Dash. I'm using the ramp at Redondo and it's a freaking nightmare. It's an easy call that I have never seen more boats launched and less people that know how to do so in any one place in my life.
    If I were you I would stay well clear of that mess.

13. Ed Call

Media:
    I've contemplated heading south, but based on my time constraints I've got to stay closer to home. There will be some fat ocean coho that will be freight training through soon enough, they like me.

14. Ed Call

Media:
    Banzai, if there is a pontoon friendly place where we won't be sucked into the shipping lanes I might make that voyage. I'll need some planning time though (unless I don't get hired for my own job...interviewing tomorrow...I could have a lot more fishing time on my hands)

15. Banzai

I'll see what I can find Ed.

16. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Media:
    You should be ok at Dash in a pontoon, I was out just off to the east of the state park in my float tube a couple weeks ago and I didnt have any problems. The tide change was however only about 8' when I was in my tube. I recommend taking an anchor with you, to stay in one spot once you get out into the lane where the fish are running.

17. Banzai

Thanks Sean. Did you launch at the state park? Have anchor, and 9' pontoon.

18. rotato

rotato Active Member

i saw a couple guys ay browns point with pontoons today
    its an easy launch
    i didn't fish, i was at a memorial for my dads best friend at bpic
    ironicly he took me fly fishing 30 years ago
    took me 25 to figure out how cool the sport was

19. Banzai

I undersatnad ro. I first tried fly fishing when I was a preteen. But I didn't know anyone that actually knew about FFing. so I let it go until I got out of the Army in '81. I got a job shortly after working next door to Jim Green's shop in Bainbridge Island. My interest started again, and, here I am today.

20. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Media:
    Yes I did, not far to carry a toon so you should be fine to launch at the state park.