Same Shit, Different Day

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ed Call, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Trevor Thorp Happy to be home in the NW

Fall City, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Decided to take the canoe out to Lincoln Park today thinking I would avoid all the mess on the beach. Arrived right at the beginning to the incoming tide and fish were jumping everywhere in the churning currents. Thought I would finally get into some pinks. The thread title explains how it went. Spent five hours in the canoe paddling up current and drifting back with no luck. I did however manage to smack the wife upside the head again with a Clouser. I am so lucky she will even get in the canoe with me. Luckily she wants to catch salmon as well.
  2. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Gee guys I just spent 3 hours standing in the water T Browns Pt. I saw a total of three fish taken, all by those chucking BB's. I don't think a pontoon would have made a difference.

Mike
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,354 / 9
    Way to get out at it today Mike. You are a patient man and that will prove beneficial. If my job interveiw for my own job did not go as well as I thought it did I might have more fishing time starting tomorrow.
  4. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    If you do catch something, DO NOT
    let the fish hang in the water next to
    you. Have you ever been attacked by
    a hungry seal? No fun...

Dave
  5. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    There were seals in the area which might explain why the catching was minimal.

Mike
  6. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Launching at the state park is a piece of cake. A bit of a carry down to the water, but not too bad.
  7. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Speaking of using a pontoon boat in the salt. I have a Creek Company toon. The paperwork says do not use in salt water. Now is this because the frame will rust and collapse or the threads will rot and the covers fall off? Or is it because they are worried about their warrenty, which is probably flakey anyway?

Any comments will be greatfully read.

Mike
  8. Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Mike, most frames on the smaller pontoon craft are made of mild steel with not-so-durable paint on them, They will rust (and fairly quickly at that) even in the fresh water as the insides of the tubing for the frames is hardly ever coated. And the hardware like zippers, etc. are not very rust resistant either. Many nylon bladder covers are made of a material that is not very UV stable either, so it's best to store them dry, out of the sun, and give them a really good washdown following your use in the salt.
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    You could certainly put a hose in one portion of the tube and power wash it when done, then put the frame in the sun/heat to dry quickly. Salt water surely does change everything. My current frame is aluminum but other pieces and parts are still at risk by salt.
  10. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Thanks guys. I never thought of spraying fresh water inside the frame. I could always take my float tube but I am afraid of being washed out to see. :)

Mike
  11. Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    To see what?:p By the way, the above mentioned hazards to 'toons in the salt by no means keeps me from using mine that way.
  12. Ron Crawford ===

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Back from my trip to the peninsula.

Fished PNP Saturday morning for 6 hours trying to catch dinner for a family get together. One of you should have gone with me. I saw four fish caught: 1 really big coho and ... wait for it .... one by the guy on my right, one by the guy on my left, then he went home and the other guy that took his place on my left caught one too.

Just goes to show you, any time you head out with the purpose of bringing home a fish is pretty much guaranteed to be a no-fish day.

Two long days of fishing this weekend and I had non on the line - FRUSTRATED !
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I should fish with Ron Crawford, one of us unlucky bastards will go home skunked. Wait a minute, been there, done that. He left with a pink from Dash Point while I whipped the water to a full froth.

I hope your Peninsula outing was more successful than the catching outing.
  14. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    This thread smells like

[IMG]
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I'm bathing in "sink the stink" (see thread on getting the smell out of waders) while guzzling the cheapest vodka I can find (per Allison's recommendation).
  16. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Do not feel to bad Amie after trying for 3 years to hook a Salmon over 2LBS finally got one on this past Saturday. Course she lost it at the boat meanig she keeps the title of smolt slayer. She has caught as many as 30 plus Salmon of trout size but up till this weekend she never hooked into any thing bigger then 2 LBS and still has not landed one bigger then 2lbs but she keeps trying.
  17. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Hikepat, sounds like Amie needs someone else on the net handle, you gotta take some chances to boat that first big fish for her! Glad that she has kept at it though, I bet you two have some great times together on the fishing trips.