San Diego Yellow Tail

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by papafsh, Jul 24, 2006.

1. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just spent eight days with family in San Diego. We stayed in three condos right on the beach at Imperial Beach. We all had a wonderful time. Wednesday was fishing day :thumb: . My eldest son Mike, has a time share in a boat club and we took out a brand new twin hull boat with big twin outboards, man that boat was kick ass!

We left the harbor at 4 AM with a stop at the bait barge first, sorry this was not a fly fishing day, but thought some of you might enjoy the pic's anyway.

Mike, Tony, grandaughter Kelsea, grandson Cullen, and I went out about 20 to 22 miles and found a good kelp patty with lot's of fish, Tuna, Dorado, stuff like that. Saw lot's of whales, dolphins and two of those big fish that are all head with long fins on top and bottom.

Unfortunately we only managed to catch two fish:mad: My granddaughter got a small shark, first fish of the day! It had some kind of ring stuck around it's body that actually had started to cut into it's flesh. Never did figure out what it was, but we cut it off and sent the little guy on his way.

My son Tony hit the big one a 32 lb. Yellow tail that took him 25 minutes to land. We enjoyed a real good tuna barbecue the next day...yummmmm!

Mike, Tony, and I will be fly fishing in Alaska next week so I'll have a real FF report for you all then.

We got back last Saturday and it was hotter here than it was down there:confused: of course it's not as humid here, anyway here's some pic's.

LB

2. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Very cool Lon.

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Good stuff! I'm hoping to get down there next month.

Did you eat the yellowtail or did you catch tuna as well? I'm a little confused because yellowtail are in the same family as jacks and pompanos, not tuna.

4. papafsh

Media:
    Home Page:
    You are right I'm sure. Don't get into that kind of action much so :confused:

What ever it was it sure was good eating :thumb:

I just wish we could have tried FF. Saw many fish swim close to the boat that I'm sure I could've put a fly in front of.

Oh well Alaska will make up for it. My son Mike, is already up there and emailed me last night, said he was into silvers all day yesterday...:eek:

LB

5. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    MMM... Yellowtail sushi is the best! I want to try to catch some of those guys fly-fishing some time. Sounds like you have a rough life, fishing for yellowtail and than fishing in Alaska...

6. papafsh

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well somebody has to do it! LOL!!!

Actually I'll be 61 in a few days and both of these trips are a first for me. Better late than never :thumb:

LB

7. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Media:
    Sweet :beer2:

8. Dan Massaro

Dan Massaro Member

Media:
    I went out on a charter boat about 2 years a go in San Diego. I remember fishing elbow to elbow without 30 other fishermen. The day was a complete bust until the captain came over the horn without about an hour left and told everyone to get their lines in the water. My dad caught two yellowtail and I caught 1. All were in the 15 to 20 pound range. I cant even imagine what it would be like to catch a 32 pounder, thats a fight.