San Fran or Boston?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by SciGuy, Nov 23, 2008.

1. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    This economy blows. There is about a 70% chance I'll have to move out of WA. My company wants to transfer me to Boston. I also have a offer on the table in San Fran. Which city, San Fran or Boston, has better saltwater fly fishing opportunities? I spent a 1/2 hr talking to a guy at Orvis in San Fran when I there on Wednesday and he said the local salt fishing was pretty lame.

2. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Very little excellent salt water fishing in SF area. You can go north for some pretty fair rock fish opportunities or into the delta for stripers (this can be excellent) but other than that the salt scene just isn't. Added to that, you can't fish for salmon in the salt either. I don't know what Boston has to offer but it has to be better than this. That being said, if you choose Boston, then you have to live on the East Coast....so there's real downs to both choices. At least out here to can travel a bit to some fair fishing.

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    warning - this post contains no first hand knowledge, just general surmising from reading lots of articles.

SF- Delta stripers, driving distance to lots of trout water, over-night trips to steelhead waters in northern Cal. Also a great city with outrageous living expenses,

Boston- within striking distance (no pun intended) of stripers and blues, and boat-trips for albies. Weekend trips to classic New England trout streams. A great city with slightly less outrageous living expenses.

4. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Hi SciGuy,

The major limitation with the saltwater flyfishing scene in Boston is that it is not a 12 month opportunity, like we have here. The waters in the winter are barely above freezing and the air temps usually well below freezing. However, in the spring, shad run up the rivers. In the summer, you can catch striped bass, bluefish, and little tunny (a small tuna) from the beaches and tidal creeks around Boston. Or head to Cape Cod and fish them from the Cape Cod National Seashore. There is some trout fishing, especially Swift River which flows out of the Quabbin Reservoir in west-central Massachusetts. From Boston, you're an hour's drive from the Maine border; you can fish for stripers in the summer all along the shore. About 2-5 hours north into Maine and you can fish the Kennebec and Penobscott Rivers for smallmouth bass and trout in the main stem and stripers in the lower section. There are landlocked Atlantic salmon in the west Branch of the Penobscott (by Baxter State Park) and in several of the larger lakes. Because of still abysmal numbers your opportunity to catch a true searun Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in Maine is a longshot. The salmon fishing is much better in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia; Cape Breton is a very fun mix of cultures and has good salmon fishing at the right time.

Steve

5. rai ferrule

rai ferrule New Member

Boston!
    I lived for 8 years in New England and always thinking about moving back just for the fishing
    The NE inshore fishery is fabulous
    Take your pick: stripers, bluefish, false albacore or bonito
    From shore or from a boat
    Estuaries or open surf
    And the best part is DAY or NIGHT (This almost drove me insane, stripers feed both day and night, so there is always a striper waiting to be caught somewhere)
    Season runs from May to October
    If you are will to travel a little (Down to New York and New Jersey) You can extend the season from march through Nov/Dec.

6. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

San Fran, at least you'll still be on the west coast.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    In the begining I was from Boston. I'm staying in WA as long as possible. Boston at least has sports teams that don't suck. My father in law lives and fishes close to 200 days annually and he lives in NH.

8. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

Media:
    If you're looking for saltwater opportunities, I'd definitely pick Boston. There's some great fishing in Northern California, but mostly in the rivers and the Delta. While there is some beach fishing, I don't think it compares to the Boston area.

9. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Sorry to hear you might have to move. I barely escaped this fate during the last economic downturn and luckily found a great job just in time. Since then I've explored our Washington waters and fished much harder, never taking it for granted again. You never know when you've landed your last steelhead or chrome bright salmon.

Not sure what my preference would be, but I'd lean towards the Boston area over SF (although dealing with snow again would be a minus for me). I'm a saltwater fan, and I've heard great things about flyfishing from shore and from boats in the New England area.

10. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Well a number of questions need to be asked. What do you want to fish for ? Where will you live? SF will be more expensive and the "city" is unique without question.

There is some great trout fishing within about 3hrs. You can head north, west, and slightly south for Steel. Although, the stuff west and south are nice trout/rezzie sized. The bay, ocean, and delta have some great striper fishing. I would recommend reading Dan Blantons board.

Boston, Stripers, Blues, and False Albies. While it is not a 12 month fishery flights are pretty cheap to the Bahamas and other warm places for those nasty winter months. You are also a reasonable distance to the Eastern Canadian Atlantics.

Having recently completed a relocation, consider the impact to the family and your proximity to your favorite type of fishing. I used to fish steelhead 50-70 days a year :(.

If you pick Boston send me a PM.

11. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Sturgeon anyone?

12. GerryH

GerryH New Member

SciGuy - I second what Cabezon said. Cape Cod is a truly an awesome place to fish for stripers and blues by wading the beaches. I lived in Maine for several years before moving to WA and regularly fished the Kennebec River and other spots along the coast for stripers. Every other summer I head back to New England and spend 2 weeks getting my striper "fix" by fishing in Maine and Cape Cod. I'm more of a saltdog, but if you like freshwater fishing - landlocked salmon fishing can be a blast in the Rangeley Lakes and W branch of the Penobscot River.

13. davew

davew Member

For saltwater fishing, Boston blows away San Fran. There's awesome striper fishing right in Boston Harbor.

Almost everything else about Boston sucks, though. Be careful about focusing too much on fishing.

14. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    San Fran I can think of:
    -Giants and 49ers
    -Big Stripers
    -Big Largemouth Bass
    -Big Trout
    -Shad
    -Salmon (maybe sorta)
    -Half Pounder Steelhead
    -Hatchery Steelhead
    -Within Striking Distance of Baja, BC, AK etc

Boston:
    -Redsox, Patriots, Celts, Bruins
    -Big Stripers, Bluefish Tuna etc...
    -Small but pretty trout
    -Smallish Large and Smallmouth Bass
    -Great panfishing
    -Old World style
    -Within Striking distance of the bahamas, quebec, etc.

If it came down to the fishing I'd pick san fran mostly because you can fish year round and I am a fan of the salmon family practically and its easier to get into the woods...

15. johnnyrockfish

johnnyrockfish Member

Seems like there's more variety of aggressive saltwater & freshwater fish up and down the East Coast. Of course the same is true for the people. Are you ready for the East Coast experience? If I wasn't a skier I'd pick Boston. Good luck.

JR

16. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the input, guys. This will be a tough decision. I was pondering what to do while on the salt this morning. After landing the third SRC of the morning I just got pissed off that I'll probably be leaving what I have here. In a recent meeting with HR I was told that there are living situations that are comparable to Seattle in Boston. Being the smart ass that I am, I piped up with "Oh, really. You mean that in Boston I'll be able to live on a quiet island and catch a handful of salmon in the morning and still be in the lab by nine. Great. Sign me up!" They weren't happy with me.

17. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Lots of first hand experience here in SF. Born and raised until 2000. Year round fishing. Don't underestimate the surf possibilites from SF to Monterey. Takes big balls to start, but it's fun and productive for perch and you'll work hard for stripers during the season, but a striper on the fly from the beach is something you'll never forget.

Some of the best trout fishing in the country within a 3 to 4 hour drive. Seriously. Some of the best.

For fishing purposes it's a clear winner if only for the year round aspect.

18. plugboots

plugboots Member

Salt water fly fishing in the NE is certainly better than in SF, but I loved fishing for perch in the surf. Very addictive. Check out: http://surf-perch.net/Fishing/Reports08/Reports08.html

I lived in Cape Elizabeth Maine for 2 years, and frankly the only thing I liked about the East was the fly fishing, otherwise San Francisco was a better place to live in every other aspect.

19. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

The fishing out of the bay area is fantastic. When i lived down there we used to spend almost every weekend up on the Sac, mccloud, pitt or one of the other coastal rivers. Unfortunately i did not find the saltwater to have many opportunities... I know there is some good stuff in boston as far as the salt, but for overall fishing, norcal is very good.

20. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    Bill- I didnt see this until now. bummer of a deal, and we still have to get a tuna trip in...
    I dont know much about norcal but the opportunities in the northeast are limited, but very fun. I love fishing blues and stripers on the fly and think you would enjoy it a lot. A boat helps a tremendous amount, but it can be done from the shore. There are some east coast striper boards that you might want to look into. They catch some really nice cows.
    I dont know a lot about the Boston area itself, but my mother grew up in Newport R.I. and i have spent a lot of summers out there chasing fish. Keep in touch as to what your fate is going to be... good luck with the decision.
    David