San Fran or Boston?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by SciGuy, Nov 23, 2008.

1. I don't know much about Boston. I was there only one time 30 years ago. Looked cool but !!! When you have a tough decision to make always refer to Jim and what he said. "The West is the best get here and we'll do the rest" Amen !!!

2. I lived in NJ for a 3 years and chased stripers from VA north. Chopper blues are also a kick. I go back every year for a week and follow the action on http://stripersonline.com/surftalk/ to keep me current. Boston girls are tougher to get horizontal than San Fran girls if thats also a measure.

3. Yes, a bummer but at least I'm not facing unemployement! I'll be hitting the rivers and beaches hard up until the day I move. We must hit the salmonoids hard over the next 6 month but I'm afraid I'll be gone before the next tuna trip.

If I end up in Boston I would definately buy a kayak or other small boat and chase stripers with the fly rod. I have a colleague/collaborator there who sends me pix of what he catches off his kayak with spinning gear. It looks like a lot of fun and I understand he does really well of the cape.

4. Well, in Boston you can live on an island, get up and catch a few stripers if the tide is right, hop on the commuter train and get to the lab by 9.

5. Sloan, I appreciate the post and PM. We'll talk if Boston is where I decide to go.

6. Any time.

7. How many months out of the year does the gear go in the closet? I've caught 20 inch bows on dries in Feb 3 hours from SF.:D

8. I just declined the San Fran gig...its looking like Boisten.

9. Stripers & Blues are all over Boston area...North Shore/Plum Island, Boston harbor right down town, all of Cape Cod, Rhode Island, etc. I live out in Concord area. If you are out here in January 16-18th there is The Fly Fishing Show in Marlboro, MA (http://www.flyfishingshow.com/)
    That will give you the low down on all of New England.

10. Notice nobody's talking about the end of November through April :D

11. Boston to Miami: 3 hours 30 minutes non stop, $326 round trip in the middle of January (according to Cheaptickets). Within an hour of landing you can be chasing bonefish on the flats or snook in the mangroves.:ray1:

Good luck and feel free to PM me for S.Fla details if you go.

JR

12. You got about a 3-4 hour drive to fish winter Great Lakes Steelheads in NY.

13. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. I would say that the limited fishing season in the east is still worth the time off.I fish for stripers virtually every year up at Plum Island,only wish I could spend more time there chasing bluefish,albies,bluefin,sharks.Plenty of freshwater fishing(more lakes in a concentrated area I suspect than S.F.),good populations of smallmouth,largemouth,pickeral.I think the trout fishing is overlooked,maybe not the caliber of the West,simply a different scale.Red Sox,Bruins,Celtics,Patriots....