San Fran or Boston?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by SciGuy, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

I don't know much about Boston. I was there only one time 30 years ago. Looked cool but !!! When you have a tough decision to make always refer to Jim and what he said. "The West is the best get here and we'll do the rest" Amen !!!

2. wolverine

wolverine Member

I lived in NJ for a 3 years and chased stripers from VA north. Chopper blues are also a kick. I go back every year for a week and follow the action on http://stripersonline.com/surftalk/ to keep me current. Boston girls are tougher to get horizontal than San Fran girls if thats also a measure.

3. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Yes, a bummer but at least I'm not facing unemployement! I'll be hitting the rivers and beaches hard up until the day I move. We must hit the salmonoids hard over the next 6 month but I'm afraid I'll be gone before the next tuna trip.

If I end up in Boston I would definately buy a kayak or other small boat and chase stripers with the fly rod. I have a colleague/collaborator there who sends me pix of what he catches off his kayak with spinning gear. It looks like a lot of fun and I understand he does really well of the cape.

4. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Well, in Boston you can live on an island, get up and catch a few stripers if the tide is right, hop on the commuter train and get to the lab by 9.

5. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Sloan, I appreciate the post and PM. We'll talk if Boston is where I decide to go.

6. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Any time.

7. Philster

Philster Active Member

How many months out of the year does the gear go in the closet? I've caught 20 inch bows on dries in Feb 3 hours from SF.:D

8. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

I just declined the San Fran gig...its looking like Boisten.

9. jeff springer

jeff springer New Member

Stripers & Blues are all over Boston area...North Shore/Plum Island, Boston harbor right down town, all of Cape Cod, Rhode Island, etc. I live out in Concord area. If you are out here in January 16-18th there is The Fly Fishing Show in Marlboro, MA (http://www.flyfishingshow.com/)
    That will give you the low down on all of New England.

10. Philster

Philster Active Member

Notice nobody's talking about the end of November through April :D

11. Boston to Miami: 3 hours 30 minutes non stop, $326 round trip in the middle of January (according to Cheaptickets). Within an hour of landing you can be chasing bonefish on the flats or snook in the mangroves.:ray1:

Good luck and feel free to PM me for S.Fla details if you go.

JR

12. jeff springer

jeff springer New Member

You got about a 3-4 hour drive to fish winter Great Lakes Steelheads in NY.

13. Philster

Philster Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. Hem

Hem Member

I would say that the limited fishing season in the east is still worth the time off.I fish for stripers virtually every year up at Plum Island,only wish I could spend more time there chasing bluefish,albies,bluefin,sharks.Plenty of freshwater fishing(more lakes in a concentrated area I suspect than S.F.),good populations of smallmouth,largemouth,pickeral.I think the trout fishing is overlooked,maybe not the caliber of the West,simply a different scale.Red Sox,Bruins,Celtics,Patriots....