Sand Lance patterns

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Jack Devlin, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +961 / 1
    Still playing around with Sand Lance patterns. Tied these flat wings and tried them yesterday. The Cutts liked them and I got a vote of approval from a resident silver.

PS. I know that a Sand Lance and a Candlefish are not the same "animal".:) View attachment 17516
  2. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    Great Flatwings Jack! I haven't been back to the vice in a week, and I want to keep working on flatwings. It's amazing how well they move, perfect for a sandlance imitator. I've got an idea about a flatwing coho attractor I've got to put together too.
  3. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +289 / 0
    Jackd very nice
  4. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    Where are you guys finding the flatwing hackle? I've looked but haven't been able to run it down.

I know this is close to asking about favorite rocks to fish from, but I gotta ask.
  5. Jack Devlin Active Member

Mike T,
    If you want the really best flatwing hackles get Whiting Flatwing hackle necks. $30-$40. That's the ticket for big flatwings. Beautiful stuff. For the smaller flies, I'm just using packages of strung saddles. Plenty of color varieties available and there are usually some good long ones mixed in with the shorter wide hackles. Spirit River is a good brand.
    Jack
  6. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    Thank you Jack!
  7. Jack Devlin Active Member

This one looks and moves great in the bathtub:). I'm going to try it out for real tomorrow. View attachment 17573
  8. Jack Devlin Active Member

This one is my favorite and final design. Works great and "swims" real nice. It is a four feather flatwing on Gamakatsu SC15 #2. Good size for sea-run cutthroats and I've been taking small silvers on it too.

View attachment 17895
    Steve Knapp likes this.
  9. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Oh Yeah.... That's going to be killer for anything that swims out there, even in a size 6 and 4 for the big guys. great tie
    Jack.
  10. Jack Devlin Active Member

Mark. Thanks for your comments and for drawing my attention to the hook size. I made a mistake. It is a size #2. I've made the correction.
    Jack
  11. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Jack, my favorite yet. The coloration is perfect. I would expect lots of fish on this fly. I would greatly appreciate it if you would post the materials list for this beauty. I have not hit the vise since adopting Fisher, my Mini Australian Shepherd. Got him out for a few hours of mooching for Chinook with Steve Knapp yesterday. This flat wing has me itching to get back to the vise. Thanks buddy. Fisher meets Flounder.jpg
    Jamie Wilson likes this.
  12. Jack Devlin Active Member

13. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +289 / 0
  14. Ben Guss Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Jackd~
    Whats the matterial on top of the coneheaded fly?
    Is it peacock?
    Nice looking ties!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Ben
  15. Jack Devlin Active Member

Yes Ben, it is Peacock. A dyed herl I think Olive Brown but you could use natural too. I use both.
    Fun to play around with these patterns.
    I fished them earlier today in Area 9 and caught 3 Chinook. Unfortunately, they were only 10 inches long!
    Jack
  16. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +307 / 0
    All,

This is a great and informative thread. I learned much and appreciate it well. Great community here.

-TR
    Jackd likes this.
  17. Jack Devlin Active Member

Tacoma Red.
    Your kindly comments are appreciated by all. Ditto.
    Jack