Sandy Creek New York

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by John Hicks, Nov 15, 2006.

1. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Fished the Salmon River and Sandy Creek New York this last weekend. We had a great time the Salmon river was pretty unfishable due to rain and work on the Damn up stream. Sandy Creek was on fire fishing wise. There were four browns and two steelhead to hand in a matter of three hours. I of course missed my golden opportunity. I stepped into a micro-miny run and was going to work it with my 14' spey rod. First off the Creek was maybe 30' wide so doing the traditional spey casting was out. I shook the leader and about five feat of line out of my rod tip and made a cast. Then as I was starting to shake more line from my rod I noticed something quite peculiar. There was a bright steelhead rolling right in front of me. As a matter of fact it was just about were my fly line entered the water. It was at this moment I felt two huge tuggs on my rod and then the game was over. :beathead: :beathead: :beathead:

After working the run and having two more tugs but no solid hook-ups I decided to meet up with my buddies that were working a small slot downstream. I was the only one with a camera so this is the fish that my friend pulled in. The brown weighed about 7lbs in my hands when I tailed it for him. Very nice fish, especially for being caught in about a foot and a half of water.

Trivia question for anyone. Can you identify the guy standing in the background? He is quite famous out here in the New England area.

2. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Damn John, you weren't kidding about how small the creek was! It is about the size of the little D!

3. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Which Sandy creek? North of the Salmon or west of the Salmon?
    cds

4. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    West of Salmon. Down by Rochester.

5. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Spring is great too. I've done well there. A buddy of mine once put a real lickin' on Browns there stipping size 6 white streamers w/ olive backs in march. Few anglers when I've been there too.
    If you can get there when it is just dropping after a small rain/runoff there will be fresh steel especially late Feb/March. Good Luck.
    cds