Sardina Sea Habit

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Philster, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    A friend of mine commissioned 18 Sardina Seahabits for a late October trip to Punta Colorada. I tried to talk him into a grey back (white knight) pattern because it would be more versatile for him as it rocks off the Central California Kelp forests for rockfish, stripers and salmon, but he was insistent :beathead: He's my hookup for striper fishing when I go down there so in this case the customer is DEFINITELY right. So here is how I tie a Sardina. White body, chartreuse, brown or rootbeer krystal flash, topped by the dark hair from a chartreuse bucktail. Very simple. For my own flies I layer fish hair into the bucktail, but he wanted all bucktail. I feel you getter flow with the fish hair. I always overtie and this is a "leftover" that didn't make the cut.
  2. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Oh yeah, I forgot, I did manage to talk him into Loon Hardhead instead of epoxy. I've been using it lately and wanted to see how it would work out on production tying. One little glitch is that it seems to "re-hydrate" the scribbles t-shirt paing I use for coloring the head (sparkling gold in this case). makes it white and milky again. It does dry again over-night to it's original color and sparkle, but at first you definitely get a "Oh Snap!" factor:eek: Good stuff. I've left a couple epoxy minnow style flies tied with it in the window for 6 months, and no discoloration so far! two or three coats makes a perfect seahabit head.
  3. Surf_Candy Member

Bainbridge Island, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    thanks for the heads up on Loon product Philster - was wondering about that. Nice fly!