Sauk River Shrimp Tube

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Hywel, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Hi Ya'll!

I'm a firm believer that (relatively) any fly can by tied on a tube. Some however are just 'naturals', especially patterns that are tied 'in the round'.

One of my all-time favorite flies is Alec Jackson's Sauk River Grub or Shrimp. It's a lovely enough pattern when it's dressed on irons, but I think it's also as effective, and (again) a natural when it's tied on plastic or metal tubing.

Here's my rendition of the SRG tied in Purple and Blue and I hope you enjoy it!

Hywel

2. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    That is sick. Got a recipe?

3. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Great looking pattern . I`ll have to spin a few up , and give em` a swing on the Bulkley later this year .:thumb:

4. Hywel

Hywel New Member

hendersonbaylocal,

Being the quasi enlightened middle-aged fart that I am - I'm gonna assume "sick" is a compliment right? (grin)

Here's the RX for the Sauk River Grub/Shrimp (To dress the 'Grub' - use the same Rx as the 'Shrimp' and omit the Tail)

Tube/Carrier - 35-40mm (16th inch OD) Copper or Brass tubing
    Hook - (in photo) Partridge Frodin/Salar Tube Double
    Tip/Tag (tied short - optional) - Fine Silver Tinsel and Benecchi's Purple Iridescent thread
    Tail - Natural or Blue-dyed Grey Squirrel Tail with a few strands Hareline Pearl/UV or Pearl/Blue Ice Wing
    Body - 4 to 5 equal segments of Purple Ostrich Herl divided by 4 to 5 individual Silver Doc Blue Hen Hackles - with each hackle tied in graduated lengths
    Collar - Silver Doc Blue Hen Hackle
    Head - Orange or Fl. Orange/Red thread

Note; The TIP/TAG is optional, I use it as a 'flange' to prevent the junction tube and hook from 'riding up' into the body.

Have fun!

Hywel

5. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Thanks Brian!

The pattern can be dressed in a whole rainbow of color combinations and can be fished in just about any weather or river conditions.

As for 'spinning 'em up', if you dress the SRG/S using Alec Jackson's technique it can be a little time consuming and labor intensive. Keep in mind though, I'm not a fast tyer, nor am I slow,...I'm kind of half-fast tyer. ('ba-da-boom' - grin)

Hywel

6. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    So for the fly posted, did you actually do the spun Ostrich, or did you just put it on as is?

7. Hywel

Hywel New Member

James,

Like the example I posted, I use the Alec Jackson technique of making an Ostrich Herl body for every pattern that calls for a chenille body.

I have a pathological loathing for chenille - I mean, it's such a dead and boring material! Personally, I like the looks of some of the newer chenilles with Estaz and the little bits of flash,...but it just doesn't have the soul or the pulsing, lifelike movement of Ostrich.

I suppose you could tie the SRG with a chenille body and simply Palmer a hackle through it - and you'd have a fish-able fly,...I'm just the type of person that tries to dress flies that are as noble and beautiful as the fish I'm trying to get to the net.

My apologies for ranting and raving, James,...(grin)

Hywel

8. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Hywel, this is a beautiful fly. I tie a lot of tubes and am curious whether you have ever tried this pattern in the salt? I think the movement would attract many different fish in the salt environment. I am going to try a couple of versions (colors) and will let you know how it fishes.

I am also a fan of Alec's loathing of chenille.

Thanks for sharing! Steve

9. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Thank you very much, Steve! I'm glad you liked the fly!

I do very little fishing in the salt,...and I'm a horrible fisherman anyhow. (grin)

Heck, give it a shot! I'd think that combinations of Pearl, Light Blue, Chartruese, and a bit of Silver would work.

Les Johnson could probably give you the whole spectrum of colors that'd work for angling in the chuck.

Hywel

BTW - I'm a big fan of just about everything Alec says and does when it comes to tying! (LOL)

10. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    Yes, that's exactly correct! Thanks for posting the pattern!

11. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Media:
    Home Page:
    Wow I think I am going to have to tie a few up for myself this year. Great looking tube fly.

12. Michael Brady

Michael Brady New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Note: The fly posted is valid only below the White Chuck Confluence.:beer2: